“NOT WORTH THE MONEY”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Aspen, Colorado
“NOT WORTH THE MONEY”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband ran the Boston Marathon, and we stayed at The Taj Boston for 3 nights. They told us that our room had been "ugraded" through American Express. If our room was an upgrade, I'd love to know what the other rooms were like! The bed seemed clean, which is a BIG plus, but the carpet was horrendously dirty, which was pretty horrible, since I didn't want to walk on it in bare feet, and then into a clean bed! When the cleaning woman was in some of the other rooms with the door open...I looked and the carpeting was dirty in them as well. I also had to call each day to have them deliver more towels. When we first got there, there were 2 towels. Then I called and they brought me up some really nice BIG towels. Then the next day, they put in one small towel...and I had to call them again for some of the big towels! It was really weird. Also, the way that the bathroom is set up, there wasn't any place to put items such as makeup, hairblower, etc.
The people in the dining room were actually pretty darned nasty. The food was okay, but the people serving just seemed so unhappy. Don't know what the problem was. Also, if you ask them for hot water (I brought my own tea bags because I only like one kind of tea)...they will still charge you $4.50.
To say something nice: It had a good location on a trendy street across from a beautiful park.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank earthkarma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Pacific palisades, ca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

I travel heavily for business. AmEx Platinum services has good Fine Hotels package so we tried Taj instead of Mandarin or Charles.

Great location, pretty nice hotel. Felt nickel and dimed at each turn, starting with getting a few aspirins from the concierge ! ($3, please).

Canceled return reservation and switched to Charles Hotel this week.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Nicholsfamilytravel
Westport, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have stayed here a few times in the past 5 years. It has only gotten better. This is a first rate hotel by any standard. The staff is perhaps, the best hotel staff you will find anywhere. Very professional, courteous, friendly and helpful. I love this hotel!

This last stay, I had a slight problem, I misplaced a shoe bag in my hotel room. It was a very silly thing. It may have very well been my fault. I just couldn't find it and neither could housekeeping. Initially, they thought they might have thrown it away by mistake, they were quite apologetic. When I left, I called security at the hotel. The shoe bag, while having almost no commercial value was a very well made, old cloth felt bag passed down to me from my father. The security person treated this as if it was an heirloom diamond ring. After an exhaustive search of the room and "key records" to make sure it wasn't stolen, they found my shoe bag after they re-searched the room for the um-teenth time. This only happens at a hotel where the staff really take pride in their jobs. I travel a lot for business. By and large, I find it's not much fun. But This is one of my favorite all time hotels. You can relax here, and it's a perfect jumping off point to see and enjoy Boston. Whoever runs this place should give lessons on how to run a hotel right!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Worcester,MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

Took advantage of a weekend special featuring the fireplace suites, supposedly the only wood-burning ones in a Boston hotel. The suite was great, although the furniture was rather oddly arranged (which we corrected). Service was outstanding; the fireplace butler arrived quickly with our choice of wood when summoned. When we had trouble connecting the DVD player to the TV, we requested help and a very capable maintenance person arrived within 10 minutes to take care of it. Although the place is not cheap, the bar offered some pretty decent food values.

Only complaint was that the room charge on the bill was higher than what was on the check-in card, and it took the desk clerk several tries to fix it upon checkout.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cumberland, ME
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

My husband is attending a conference, but we didn't call for reservations in time, so I looked around for accommodations nearby. After reading lots of reviews online, I decided the Taj would best meet our needs. In reality, our expectations have been far exceeded.

A quick walk through the Public Garden takes my husband to his conference, and we feel quite fortunate to be staying at the more intimate Taj. I have Newbury Street to enjoy, and the T is a block away -- Boston is such an accessible city, and the Taj is central to everything.

The staff is courteous, attending to guests' every need. Rooms are quiet and comfortable -- I want to bring the bed home with me! Breakfasts and dinners have been delicious, and offer lots of variety. Portions are just right. Don't miss afternoon tea on Saturdays & Sundays -- a rare treat!

The Taj will appeal to travelers who appreciate Old World flavor, with attention to every detail.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel about five or more times. Great location, clean rooms, nice staff, close to parking, overlooking one of the nicest parks in downtown boston (request the top floors), close to restaurants and boutiques. I would recommend this hotel for a work or leisure stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ruchiekaur
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

I enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are beautiful. The service was Rich, warm and out of this world. I had the suite with a fireplace. The fireplace suite comes with a Fireplace butler and a choice of firewood. How incredible is that! The bathroom ammenities. Love Love Love them. The bed was the most comfortable and I even had a choice of what type of pillow's I wanted. The hotel sits on Arlington and Newberry Street and I had a view of the public garden. This hotel was fabulous. Dont miss this hotel while your in Boston.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business