“Perfect!”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #34 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I recently stayed at The Revere with my boyfriend and had a lovely stay:) We are usually Four Seasons fans, but as they were sold out, we were seeking a modern boutique hotel- The Revere was just perfect!

The view from our room was amazing and very beautiful on a stunningly cold night in Boston! The bath products, modern whimsical carpet design, comfy bed, sleek design and excellent location were all much appreciated and in my opinion, the hotel felt similar to a W, with a less clubby vibe which was great!

All of the staff were very friendly, especially at the Front Desk. When I had a slight issue with needing to extend our stay, Tim, the Front Desk Manager, helped us tremendously and could not have been nicer and had a wonderful sense of humor- thank you Tim for all of your assistance- you were fantastic, as was your Front Desk team!!:)

We are looking forward to returning soon, hopefully in warmer weather when we can enjoy the outdoor terrace.

Enjoy your stay at the Revere, we loved it!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patrickwNewYork_NY
Write a ReviewReviews (4,194)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Room was large enough, clean and very easy to get around from. Close to Newbery Street. Bed was just so so comfortable. Largest complaint was that we needed a late checkout, and they would not accommodate. Check out is 11:00 am which is pretty early if you want to sleep past 9, have breakfast and pack. No frills hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Tim A, Front Office Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear John -

Thank you for your kind words about Revere Hotel Boston - I'm glad you were pleased with the cleanliness of our rooms and our great location.

I am disappointed that the staff wasn't a little more flexible on your late check-out, although Saturday's can be a very challenging arrival day (the day you departed) as people tent to arrive to check in as early as 10am. I know the staff was simply trying to make sure everyone arriving Saturday had a room ready to go at check-in time. That being said, we certainly could have extended your check out time until 12p to give you a little extra time. I will use your comments as a training tool so thank you for pointing out where we could have done better.

Warm regards,

Tim Anctil
Director Of Front Office

tanctil@reverehotel.com

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The first time i went to boston i stayed in this hotel with family. I love the sleep by number bed. I wanted the softer bed feel and my guy wanted the firmer. The locations wasn't bad. Nearby we ate at the melting pot and legal seafood. For breakfast we went to the complimentary breakfast that came with the stay. It wasn't bad at all.

Room Tip: ask for a good view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I struggled to give this an "Average" rating, but the location of this hotel is truly great. The hotel is clean as well, so if you are able to secure a good rate, this may be a very viable option. However, it seems that this hotel cannot get its act together and our experience was not indicative of a 4 Star Hotel as The Revere is rated. To make a long story short, I called about one of the "included" perks for guests of the hotel and sufficiently received the run around from the hotel staff. Calls were never returned. I received one voice mail right before my stay claiming that they had tried to reach me prior, but that simply is not the case. When I returned the call, I never received a call back. This was a decent indication of the quality of the service at the hotel.

We arrived on New Year's Eve for a one night stay and understandably waited for valet at 4:30pm. The valet let us know that if we would like to use our car that evening we should call an hour in advance. Certainly a bit long for a 4 star hotel, but that didn't affect us - the location of the hotel is great and we could walk everywhere we needed to go. Check-in was rushed and crowded, but we were check-in within a reasonable amount of time. The glass of champagne was a nice touch.

Our junior suite was very nice, although a little worn - visible in the furniture and in the messy caulking job in the shower. The room could definitely use some updates. But overall, as I mentioned, it was very clean, seemingly pretty soundproof, had a good mattress and offered a beautiful view of the Prudential Building. Upon entering the bedroom portion of the suite, we learned there are only two tiny lights - 1 reading light that's bendable and 1 very small desk lamp. There's a great full-length mirror in the junior suite bedroom, but it is absolutely useless after sundown (you can literally only see your shadowed outline). Our bedroom was ESPECIALLY dark because our reading light was not working. We let the bellhop know this, he tried to fix it but couldn't and said he would send someone up right away to take care of the problem. We NEVER saw anyone and NEVER even received a phone call. Again, not a 4 star experience.

The bell service was great and our bellman even offered to get us a bucket of ice. We received our bags within 20 minutes, which was great because of the popular day and they had originally told us 45 minutes. This was the best service throughout the entirety of our experience.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the elevators are a huge problem here. We did not wait on our first trip, but every other elevator ride from the day of arrival to the day of departure required a 15 minute wait. As a result, the elevators were always packed and guests were either annoyed or cracking jokes about it. Not great when you have a dinner reservation across the street...

As others have also noted, the fragrance in the lobby can be a bit overwhelming. At first it's a bit refreshing, but by the end of our stay, it felt like a lady doused in perfume and made me stuffy. My clothes actually came home smelling of it. I can see if someone has allergies, this could be a deal breaker for them. Not sure why they feel the need to try to create some sort of signature smell. I've seen other hotels, especially in Hawaii, subtly accomplish this, but the odor infusion at The Revere could be toned down a notch.

Lastly, when we made our reservation we requested a late checkout. I completely understand that it was not possible to grant, especially on New Year's Day. What was disappointing was that when we called to inquire about it on the morning of our departure, the female employee who answered the phone snapped that we could not have one and that if we were late, it would be a $50 charge. Again, not a 4 star experience. There was a nicer way to go about denying our request.

All in all, the hotel has a great location and can be worth it if you can secure a fantastic rate. However, if you're going to spend over $300 a night go to The Liberty or the Fairmont Copley Plaza.

Room Tip: The higher floors have great views!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mfarquar_MA

Dear Mfarquar -

I was very sorry to read about your disappointing experience on New Year's Eve. While we do our very best to appeal to everyone, sometimes simply put, one size does not fit all.

With regard to our signature scent, many brands such as Aloft, Edition and W have launched signature scents with great success. For every guest who comments negatively about it, we receive 10 compliments and inquiries about what it is and where it can be purchased. It has been so successful for us that in March, we are launching the Revere Candle featuring the scent. We partnered with a great company based in Philadelphia.

I would like to point out the amenities which help define our qualification to maintain a 4-Diamond AAA Certification: Valet Parking, 24-Hour Guest service, Complimentary Wireless, Business Center, Swimming Pool, 24-Hour In-Rooms Dining, Complimentary Welcome water, Robes and Slippers, Shoe Shine Service (complimentary,) 24-Hour Fitness Center, 24-Hour Concierge Services. We were re-certified by AAA in September 2013.

Happy New Year.

Warm regards,

Tim
Director Of Front Office

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here over Christmas. The hotel is very nice all throughout, with great facilities. Champagne on arrival, massive rooms and walking distance to everything. We even got a little stocking filled with chocolates on our door Christmas day which was a nice touch. Their restaurant 'Rustic Kitchen' was very nice for breakfast Christmas day. Would recommend this hotel and stay here again when visiting Boston.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband and I visited Boston the week after Christmas 2013. The hotel was amazing. We were not greeted with Champagne as other guests mentioned, but check in was easy and we got to our room quickly after arriving. We stayed in a Junior Suite, which was well worth it, because we had two balconies overlooking the Commons and with large suitcases and many coats & boots, having the two separate rooms was really nice. The bathrooms are small but are fine for what we needed. Our room was located right next to the elevator, which we thought may be a problem, but the little noise it made didn't bother us at all.

As far as the location goes, we loved it! We were a block from the "T" and the Boston Common park & public garden, which is beautiful covered in the snow. In the common is where the historic freedom trail begins. We found that we were able to get anywhere we needed to being so close to the T (green line). Everything is walking distance from the hotel, but because it was a little cold, we decided not to walk everywhere we went. We found some great restaurants & pubs in the area too! We loved going to Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts (less than a half block away) in the morning and being able to eat in the transportation building's food court. It was nice to have a place to sit and relax while drinking our coffee & eating breakfast before heading out for the day.

We ate dinner one night in the Rustic Kitchen which is located in the hotel (it was raining a lot that night). The beer was cold and the food was delicious. Their crème brulee was the best I've ever had. We wanted to go to the Emerald lounge that night, but the dress code was more dressy than we had packed for, which was a big disappointment because we were looking to have a couple drinks and relax since we were stuck inside. Be sure to check out the dress code before packing if you plan to go in the lounge (slacks, polos, dresses & heels for women, no denim, etc).

The only reason I'm not giving the hotel 5 stars is because the day we checked out, we were hit with having to pay for our entire bill that day. We booked our stay several months out and thought that it would be charged to our credit card then. The receptionist said that sometimes their reservations & deposits don't go to the right "folder" so the deposit and room is never charged to the card until check out. Thinking that I paid for something (fairly pricey) several months in advance, but get hit with the full price all at once, is a scary feeling when vacationing on a budget.

Although the check out was a bit upsetting, I would return to the Revere in a heartbeat. I felt comfortable and at home when I was there and the staff was very friendly and always chatting with us in and out of the hotel and on the elevators.

I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The Junior Suite was really nice. I'm not sure I would like the size of a small room especially...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Check in was quick and efficient, and we were offered champagne. The staff was very friendly, valet was easy to use, rooms were spacious and clean, new decor, modern and sleek. Awesome location for shopping, dining and walking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends