“Great location, but nothing really special”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #41 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Great location, but nothing really special”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed on Saturday to Sunday in December. I made the reservations through SniqueAway and the rate, with a AAA discount, was $250 plus $25 for parking. Because I "liked" them on FB, we got a free room upgrade. The choice was free dry cleaning and extended check out or a Jr Suite. We took the suite. It was a long hallway that opened into a sitting area with a pull out sofa, desk and TV. There is a balcony, but it overlooked rooftops below us. The king bedroom was separated from that area by a curtain. The mattress was uncomfortable, it sagged in the middle. We were in room 1401, which was next the the elevator and we heard that all night and in the morning. The bathroom is very narrow but it was clean and I like the idea of refillable pump bottles on the walls with a variety of lotions, soaps, shampoos and conditioners. The hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. They treated us like VIPs and we appreciate that kind of service. The lobby is very contemporary and uncluttered. I didn't see a seating area anywhere in the hotel and although there is a restaurant, we got in on Saturday night at midnight and it was closed. There wasn't anyplace around to get a cup of coffee and the coffee maker in the room had only powdered creamer, so we skipped it. It's not a hotel that I will rave about, but it served the purpose for us.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevators. We thought it was the subway at first, but we were on the 14th f...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We loved our recent stay at the Revere near Boston Common. The price was reasonable, the accommodations were clean and posh and the location was fantastic and central.

Quite pleased and would stay here again...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London U.K.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was the first time we'd stayed at the Revere since it changed from the Radisson, this was our fifth trip to Boston, the lobby and rooms had undergone massive refurbishment, although the very modern, minimalist lobby seemed to have lost some of the atmosphere it used to have, possibly my personal preference here. The rooms are clean and well appointed with absolutely scrumptious beds and pillows, not sure why the chaise- lounge is there, it's rock hard, a nice armchair may have been a better choice?
But - the toiletries are superb, and it saves space and weight from taking your own, and you will not be disappointed, also the dressing gowns are a welcome addition as are the really decent size bath towels.

The biggest strength of the Revere is the staff who, are as ever, are really helpful, and friendly especially the three concierges, for whom nothing is too much trouble. I did notice that the wardrobe had odd-sized doors on it - someone obviously hadn't picked this up during the snagging after the refurb. not that it made a scrap of difference, but if I'd spent all that money I'd want a top job done. The lifts were fine and the whole hotel smelled really beautiful. Once again we used Thorntons down at Huntingdon behind the Prudential Centre for a really reasonable and huge breakfast, not to be missed. Remingtons right opposite Boston Common cannot be beaten for pub grub and good company, through the transport plaza opposite the hotel, up the alley and turn right. For a special meal Rustic Kitchen fits the bill, good service and superb food. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Revere, it's good for all the shops and the 'T' a quick trip from Logan, and it's a really friendly place to stay.

Natick
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Good: The lobby is stylish and well appointed, front desk staff at check in and check out were friendly and very helpful. The rooms are average size for Boston, the bed was comfortable and the linens and toiletries are lush. We had drinks in the evening at the Rustic Kitchen and breakfast there in the morning. Bartender was very friendly and personable and the breakfast was very good -- lots of choices for both the healthy diners and the not-so-healthy diners too.

The Bad: It went from excellent to good for two reasons. #1 - the fire alarm went off at 1:30 am and we were awoken by an alarm and instructed to exit via the stairs...22 flights of stairs! When we got to the lobby there was absolutely no one from the hotel directing or informing us of what to do. We asked the desk staff what the issue was and they were dismissive and frankly seemed put out by us. They instructed us (rather offhandedly) to go back to our rooms. No attempt to explain or even an apology for being woken from a dead sleep and marched down 22 flights of stairs. #2 - the walls are very thin so every time our neighbor's shower ran or toilet flushed it sounded like it was in bed with us. Another guest complained to us at breakfast about the the thin walls -- the people in the room next to him keeping him awake partying.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We only stayed here for the night but were treated like VIP! We were able to check-in early and even got a free room upgrade and a late check-out. The hotel is nice, clean and very modern. Customer service was top notch! I notated on my reservation that I was celebrating my b-day, and after a day of sight-seeing, there was a tray with a little cake and bottled spring water waiting for me in our room. What a nice surpise!

The location is great - it's only a short walk to Boston Common, and it's across the MA Transportation Building which has fast food eateries and restaurants. The subway station is also a short walk away from the hotel but since the hotel location is great, we did not use at all. We just walked to Faneuill Hall/Quincy Market, the North End and even walked back after finishing the Freedom Trail.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I booked one night at this location this past weekend through Hotwire for a pretty decent price. A few days after checkout, I checked my credit card statement and noticeda charge for $47. Not knowing what this was for, I called the hotel and asked for some clarification. After being shuffled around to three different people, I was told that it was for minibar items. For clarification, I live in hotels 4/5 nights a week as I travel for business and I never once have used anything from a minibar due to the ridiculous prices of the items that are offered.

The employees whom I spoke to were very accusatory and seemed to truly believe that I took these items (a bottle of wine and a bag of nuts according to them). According to the employees I spoke too, I have some kind of big elaborate scheme to stay at hotels, raid the minibar and then proceed to call and say that I didn't actually take anything....right.

The final employee whom I spoke to seemed to have better things to do than help me with my situation, so he took my phone number and said that he would "look into it". I have since called my credit card company and had the charge reversed, but this hotel put me through unnecessary hassle and treated me as though I am a criminal. Needless to say, I will never be staying at this hotel again.

Beware of "4 Star - Boston Common" hotels on Hotwire for unusually low prices.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
15 Thank Michael S
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. We do offer mini bars in our suites as a convenience for our guests, and certainly not to charge you for items that were never used. We have never had any issues with this previously and I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would personally like to follow up with you, if you could call me directly at 617-457-2656.

Simon Mais
Revere Hotel
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The location was so good! There are two subway stations within 5 mininutes' walk: Arlington and Bolyston. Both are green line. There were plenty of good restaurants nearby. It is also within 5 minutes' walk from Chinatown. The hotel is in theatre district, which was a plus. Very clean hotel. Good size for Boston. Service was good as well. It was a nice stay.

However, the perfume smell in the lobby was unbearable for me. It gives me a headache every time I walked in the hotel. Also, the free internet was so bad. It logged me off constantly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends