“A lot of good, but a lot of bad too”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New York City, New York
“A lot of good, but a lot of bad too”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

On the Pro side of things: Location is great, 2 blocks from Boston Common, convenient to Beacon Hill and the Back Bay. The customer service is very good, the furnishings in the room are modern, great bath products, and every room has a small balcony. They have a small gym and a nice pool.

On the cons: I kid you not, the hallways smell like vomit. Either they use the worst smelling carpet cleaner ever, or the Emerald lounge crowd that it caters too has too much fun and can't make it to the bathroom. The hotel caters toward the Emerald lounge, they offer you VIP access for staying at the hotel which means at 2 AM you hear the drunkards running up and down the halls and being very loud. Those 2 things alone really contribute to the downside of things.

If you are not young and looking to party all night, I would not recommend this hotel. Unfortunately the crowd it seems to cater to overrides the positive aspects I listed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. I am glad you enjoyed our location, guest rooms, amenities and especially our cast.

In response to your comments about the odor in the hallway; it is not vomit, it is glue from the underlay which should be resolved in the next week.

Regarding Emerald Lounge, our hotel caters to all guests; from solo business travelers, to couples and families from all over the world. Emerald Lounge is Boston’s newest, luxury lounge that is very popular within the city and we want to ensure all of our guests have VIP access, bypassing any lines. I am very disappointed to hear that some of our guests did not respect their neighbors. Had our 24 hour security been notified, we could have spoken directly to these individuals. We are a solid concrete building, and noise complaints are not a common occurrence in this hotel. I do apologize for any disruption to your sleep you may have experienced. We certainly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back so you can see your noise issues are not typical at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two days while moving my daughter to college and I was thrilled to have discovered such a great place. I found every experience with the front desk and concierge staff to be incredibly helpful and often beyond expectation. Even their recommendation for a casual restaurant was great - they paid attention to what I thought I needed and added what they knew I would need. When my plans changed suddenly due to a de ath in the family, the front desk went many extra miles to help me and I remain incredibly grateful. I travel regularly and while I can't remember much about the actual room (other than it was perfectly comfortable, nice and modern), I remember their service enough that I am writing this review three weeks later. I want the hotel management to know that their staff made the difference and I will be back soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We appreciate your comments and thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. I am sorry to hear about your loss and my condolences go out to you and your family. I am glad you found our cast to be so helpful and that we were able to accommodate your needs. We hope to see you again soon.
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Price –definitely high, but it's because of the location and great condition of the hotel. You can ‎find more affordable ones further from downtown. If you want to treat yourselves – this ‎hotel is a good choice.‎

Location – Wonderful, lovely neighborhood. You can have a nice walk to downtown or walk ‎shortly to the subway station (green or orange line). There are restaurants and pubs nearby. ‎We walked to a theater to see a show.‎

Rooms – Fab. Large, clean, modern, lots of space in drawers, the bed is comfy, we had an amazing view ‎‎(on floor 22). You get good quality soap and even a hand moisturizer. The only negatives are ‎very insignificant: the toilet flushes in a really strong current so it's loud like the ones in ‎airplanes…. and the shower stream could be stronger, but really it's fine the way it is.‎

Facilities – We used the pool and Gym. They were great because before 10am they're practically ‎empty. The pool is small (standard hotel size) but sufficient and comfortable for swimming if ‎only you and one or two others use it. Same goes for the gym.‎

Overall we enjoyed this hotel so much it was totally worth the money.‎

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and it was worth your money. You may be interested to learn we are in the process of building a larger fitness center with more free and universal weights. In response to your comments about the bathroom; in our efforts to be a green hotel, our toilets are low flush, designed to reduce our impact on the environment and consume less water. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Revere is located near the Boston Commons park and is within walking distance from the city center, which is great.

As for the hotel itself, it was paid for by the company so I have no idea what the prices actually are. The view from the balcony was gorgeous (even though it was facing away from the center in my case), and service was OK for an average American hotel, not much better not much worse. They do have some good soaps and shampoos of a particular Canadian brand, but the amount of advertising suggests that it's not simply care for the hotel customers, and they're selling the same brand in the reception.

So, what other issues I can mention? The conditioner in the room was noisy and has no controls I could find, so I just plugged it out of the socket.

Could not figure out how to use the TV, it has some kind of on-demand service that said that it's connecting and asked to wait for something all the time.

Elevators are fast but there's not enough of them when lots of people are moving back and forth.

The reception design is not my cup of tea.

All the rest is pretty good. Breakfast muffins are some of the best.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the center.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. I am glad you liked the location as well as the Skoah products we offer in the guest bathrooms. They are such wonderful products that guests are always asking where they can be purchased, which is why we offer them for sale, since we are the only hotel in the world that carries them. I do apologize for some of the issues you had regarding the air conditioner and television. Had we known you were having difficulty, we could have sent a cast member from engineering to your room and assist you. For the future, there is a panel on the wall in every guest room to control the a/c and as for the television, there is a main menu that displays once turned on, and the remote can be used to change the channel. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Wenatchee WA
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Staying at the Revere hotel was a good experience. the beds were very comfortable, rooms large - close to many restaurants and the sight seeing trolleys. the staff was helpful and friendly. I would stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I just called and spoke with Ann Marie who was SO kind in providing information on room availability and if an earlier check-in could be done for me and my 2yo toddler after an overnight flight from Phoenix. She was pleasant, helpful and friendly. LOVE great customer service - LOVE this place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We are delighted to hear that Ann Marie was helpful; she is a true asset to the hotel. Not sure if Ann Marie mentioned this or not, but one item to note for the future, any traveler that needs a guaranteed early check-in, they can book a guest room on one of our Premier floors which not only offers an early check-in of 9am, but also a late check-out of 4pm, turndown service upon request, and two shirts pressed for free! We look forward to your stay with us.
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We recently stayed at the Revere Hotel in the Boston Common. The hotel was impressive upon entry to the lobby (the entry and parking were a little chaotic, but that's to be expected in a city hotel). It was very clean and pretty. The staff who checked us in were very nice, provided us details about the hotel and a map of the city. There was a concierge available also. The location was convenient to the city and park nearby. It was also in a nice area of the city, close to some upscale restaurants. Though, I highly recommend the restaurant attached to the hotel. The food there was wonderful! I also recommend visiting the restuarant for a few drinks as well, avoid the hotel bar which I believe is more upscale and nightclub type...a dress code was posted. We didn't use the pool or fitness area, so can't speak to that, but we did see several people enjoying the pool. There is also a great outdoor seating area right outside of the pool. It's very nice out there and would be a great place to grab a few drinks and hang out at. The rooms and beds were very clean and comfy. The room size was also great, much larger than most upscale city hotel rooms. Pillows were great, too. The bathroom had soaps, shampoos, and lotions available. I would recommend using them, we all loved the provided bath products! And, the towels were awesome! They were bath sheets, and of decent quality. I would say a downside is the smell in the hallway, I immediately noticed it, smelled a bit like vomit...not pleasing, but the smell did not enter the room, and it was not unbearable, as how much time do you really spend in the hallway of a hotel? The elevators were nice, but you could tell it was an older, redone hotel based on the ride. Overall, very good impression and I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. I am delighted to hear how impressed you were with the décor, location, on-site restaurant, guest rooms, Skoah products in the bathrooms and especially how our cast was so nice and helpful to you. In regards to your comments about the smell in the hallway, we found a solution that works and this issue should be resolved shortly. We look forward to your return in the future!