“Exceeded my expectations!!!”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed August 27, 2012

First off, I just want to say that although I do take the time to read others' reviews of a place I am looking to reserve, I have never taken the time to write a review after a stay. I did want to take the time after my recent stay at the Revere. This hotel definitely exceeded my expectations, as there seemed to be many negative reviews and I was a little worried. From the beginning of our stay through to the end all of the employees were very attentive, personable, and knowledgeable. A special thanks to our bellhop Tom for being so welcoming and answering all our questions regarding our location and how to get around Boston. He provided us with a map and even went over it with us and helped us get acquainted with the city. Although several reviews complained about the elevators (wait time) and one did break down during our stay, the hotel provided everyone one day comp parking. This was revealed upon checkout and nothing we even brought up. The outdoor rooftop patio was so relaxing and our kids loved the pool. Although the hallways are very warm, only our youngest mentioned an odor as it really wasn't noticeable. Maybe air conditioning in the hallway or better ventilation would help. The products in the rooms were very nice as well. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and spacious. My husband didn't care for the lobby (contemporary seating not comfortable for his taste). All in all we were quite pleased and had an excellent time in Boston.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori G

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed last night at the Revere Hotel. This is an upscale hotel for sure. It was a Sunday and we had a function at Tufts Dental school on Monday. We arrived at 7 p.m. and greeted by the parking attendants. We chose not to valet our car and it was really easy to park in their garage and it saves about $15 for 24 hours. Check in was fabulous. Mike was very personable and very informative about the hotel and all the amenities. We had booked the hotel through Hotwire so were a little bit afraid of being treated differently. This was absolutely NOT the case. We were offered champagne at check in and Mike went out of his way to be kind and helpful. Our room was on the top floor facing west so we arrived just in time for the sunset. There was a balcony in our room and we enjoyed being out on it when the sun went down.

The room was beautiful! It was spacious and decorated very hip. We were actually a bit blown away with this place. There are a number of choices for soap, shampoo and conditioner and all of them are amazing! I wish I had them at home. We had no trouble with elevators as other guests had mentioned. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. This place was fantastic and we would highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kd201
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked this hotel not knowing exactly where to stay location wise. It turned out this was just fine as it was handy to both trolley stops and restaurants. We did not take in a show but had we, this would have been the perfect location. My whole family loved the variety and quality of the shampoo/conditioner, soap and lotion selections the hotel offered. It was like a morning treat ! Unfortunately we did not have time to make use of the facilities so cannot comment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Winddancer367
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here on a family summer road trip. Kids Loved it. Central Location. At one time, way way back when, this hotel used to be a Howard Johnson. Most recently it was a Radisson
(I believe) until it was bought out and converted to a Revere Hotel.
Its been updated to an upscale hotel. Some of the touch are borderline and not "solid" renovations BUT overall this is a very nice hotel.
The rooms were very modern, having the desk in the room was nice.
The shampoo/conditon selection in the shower was very nice. A local producer makes the products. They are for sale if you like them; we sampled quite a few and they were indeed
worth buying.
Overall this is a nice hotel, and worth staying in.
Not to mention its location, location, location.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 1SunAdmirer
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We recently had a corporate outing at the Revere Hotel and it was the perfect venue! We had fun in a stylish setting and the staff was so accommodating and helpful. I would definitely recommend this for future company functions and would recommend it as a clean and up to date hotel to stay in right in downtown Boston!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Alison C
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've traveled all over the world and have never been as conflicted over the rating to give a hotel. There are things about this hotel that I feel deserves 5 stars, but there were some really bad misses. First of all, our stay got off to a really rough start. We arrived at the hotel about 12:30 pm and checked in at the desk just so we could check our luggage while we returned our car to the rental agency. The desk clerk said there were no rooms available yet (which we expected) but that she would call when one became available. We returned at 2:35. She said there was no room with two beds available. As she was speaking to me, the clerk next to her told the person next to me that they could put him in a two bed room, but didn't have a king room. I asked why we couldn't have that room and she very pointedly told me that OUR ROOM was NOT available. This is when I realized that we were being treated differently because we had booked through Hotwire. We had nothing to do so we sat down by the desk and waited while several other rooms were assigned. Every person was offered a glass of champagne at check in. At exactly 3 pm, the clerk came around and assigned our room - with no offer of champagne.

When we got to the 17th floor, the smell of vomit in the hallway was overwhelming. The carpet in the room beside us was being cleaned so we assumed someone had been sick in the hall. When we walked in the room, all the bad feelings went away. The room was beautiful - very trendy with every amenity we could want. The beds were amazing, there were robes, an umbrella, and even a fridge - without the expensive minibar items. There were two choices of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower, but the hot water was very slow in warming up. There was even a balcony which offered a glimpse of the Boston Common which was only 1 block away and we overlooked the Theatre District. Just as we were feeling better about the hotel, we found the thermostat didn't work at all and the room never got cool enough for us. We kept turning it down until it was set on 45. It never got below 75.

Upon leaving the next morning, we still smelled the vomit so I told the cleaning supervisor. She said she would look into it. We realized after we left that we had left the Do Not Disturb (actually some cute sign about the "talent" resting) on the door. I called the hotel and told them we had failed to remove it and to please clean the room. We arrived back at 5 pm to a room that had not been cleaned. When I called down I was told they would clean it "when they could get around to it." they did come in about an hour later.

The next morning I picked up one of the glasses we hadn't used yet and found a lipstick stain on the rim. The vomit smell was still there so I stopped at the desk to ask and a manager stopped me so I told her about it. She informed me that they think the smell is coming from the wallpaper glue. She was upset about the dirty glass.

We loved the location of the hotel - close to everything and having the Hop On/Hop Off tour bus pick us up right in front. We found everyone friendly except the first desk clerk. We've stayed in dozens of hotels rented through Hotwire and this is the first time we felt we were discriminated against because we took advantage of a discounted rate - which, of course was set by the hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tnpatti
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. We got a really good deal through a web site. Think it cost us around £120 a night. When we got there we were shocked a how nice it was. The staff were the friendliest I've ever known. We were upgraded which is always nice!! Amazing room, lovely big bed, quiet in the evening. Lovely turn down service. The pool was a nice extra but the area was nothing special, very small gym. Loved being so close to the common and Beacon hill. It was quiet in the evening if you wanted to go for a few drinks. There were places to eat near by but it was limited. Overall we loved our stay and would defiantly stay again. Loved it, there was a real feeling of luxury to the hotel. Richard was amazing and helped us to book whale watching which is a must. However, we both did get sea sick but it was amazing! Loved Boston!!

• Stayed: July 2012