“More A Radisson than Boutique Hotel”

Revere Hotel Boston Common
Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Scottsdale, Arizona
“More A Radisson than Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

During graduation weekend, all of the four and five star hotels were already booked, so we were left with the new Revere Hotel, a converted Radisson. While the location is excellent in the Theatre District and next to the W Hotel, the room just lacked some amenities. In a suite we had, the bathroom is tiny, and only one person can use it at one time which certainly makes getting ready a bit time consuming. There was no mini bar or water which was quite inconvenient when you woke up in the middle of the night thirsty. The elevator broke down on us once, and there was no umbrella in the room, but the services was quite nice both at the front desk and especially the valets/bellboys. For $500 per night, don't see us ever returning here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SimonMais1, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found our service quite nice, and that you found the location excellent. I am very concerned to hear that you did not enjoy your stay in the suite and had an issue with our Elevators. I would love to discuss this further if you would like to contact me. We are expecting some additional amenities to arrive that are custom to each suite, but standard in all guest rooms should be two bottles of water, umbrella, lint brush, coffee and tea maker, ice bucket, 2 robes and slippers, 9 bath amenities such as soap, conditioner etc., safe, JBL IPAD dock, and complimentary shoe shine. It is important to me that no detail is overlooked and that all our guests leave wanting to return to our hotel in the future. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was my first trip to Boston and overall we were impressed with our stay at The Revere and would definitely stay again. I should preface this entire thing by saying we got a really great opening special rate of $177 and for that price in Boston it was awesome.

Overall Pros:
- Beautiful, newly renovated and really spacious suite
- Great bathroom products
- Great location - could walk to Boston Common, restaurants on Tremont street, accessible by transit, Newbury street, etc.
- comfy bed
-two TVs in our suite - seemed excessive, but good if you fight over what to watch
- Great customer service: the manager left a personal note in our room due to booking issues, free champagne and water, apples and almonds in the room. Any issues we had were addressed immediately.
- Nice pool and rooftop deck area
- Free wi-fi

Overall Cons:
- Had some trouble booking the room rate that was advertised due to the hotel being new and staff being confused. However once more senior staff resolved this, everything was great.
- Room did not have a safe when we arrived, but when we called down to the front desk we were brought one within 10 minutes
- Air conditioning was super loud, to the point where it was hard to sleep through
- Staff was a little 'new' - they tried to help, but sometimes seemed a bit clueless

Booking....
The only real trouble with this place was booking it and after that it was pretty smooth sailing. We had a lot of trouble finding a reasonably priced hotel (under $300) in Boston on this weekend. All my loyalty cards and pricelining did not get us anywhere and everything was booked up. In a panic we booked the Best Western Roundhouse but wanted to find something much more central. I'd been keeping my eye on The Revere since I knew it was opening in April. A couple days before arrival I saw a promo code on Hotel Chatter and a few other sites for a special 'revolutionary rate' of $177.50. This could not be booked online so I immediately called the hotel. No one had any clue what I was talking about. I accidentally got hung up on by one of the staff, but she apologized when I called back. They finally transferred me to a reservation manager so I left a message. I kept calling back in hopes of reaching her or getting a staff member that knew what was going on, but still no one could help me. I wanted an email so I could just send them the link! Eventually that evening Jennifer from the reservation/management staff called me apologizing that the staff didn't know about the deal. She said it was because the hotel was just opening. And she told me she would send an email confirmation of my room at that rate. I called the hotel back once or twice during the next few days to confirm our reservation but we were never in the system which was making us a bit nervous since we were going to be at the hotel in less than 2 days! I kept emailing Jennifer but never heard from her other than asking if we wanted 1 or 2 beds. So we were a bit nervous about arriving with no confirmation and were prepared to have to fight for the rate, etc. But pleasantly, our reservation was there and we were offered free champagne on arrival. So basically we stressed for nothing, but it would have been nice to get some advance confirmation.

Now on to the actual hotel...
Our room was not ready when we arrived around 1pm, which was a bit surprising considering the hotel was not full because it was brand new, but we were there before check in so no big deal. They stored our luggage for free. We asked the front desk staff if there was a patio nearby but she had trouble directing us anywhere - she couldn't actually even find the hotel on the map at first. She offered to call the concierge back from his lunch but we figured we would kind of wing it and it worked out ok. After staying there a couple nights we found there were actually a few patios nearby, so hopefully the staff are better equipped to answer q's now.

When we got to our room we were very pleasantly surprised, it was fabulous! We thought it would just be a standard hotel room but it was a HUGE suite with a living room and bedroom. Beautiful mod new furnishings and nice finishes, super comfy bed and a TV in each of the rooms. It was obviously brand new so everything was super clean and in great condition. The bathroom was not huge, but nicely finished and clean. The Skoah bath products were really nice.

There were also some great extra personal touches when we arrived in the room. There was regular and sparkling water, apples, and almonds along with a personal note from the manager. In the note he apologized for the booking trouble we had and hoped we enjoyed the room/ stay in Boston. This was great customer service and we weren't really so bothered by the booking issue since at least the staff had acknowledged it and apologized. I'm not sure if the huge room and all the extras were just a nice upgrade for us, but either way it was great!

We had some really nice views from our room and it had 2 balconies - one in the living room and one in the bedroom (see pics). It would have been nice if there was some furniture out there so you could have morning coffee on the deck, but it was probably a bit early in the season for outdoor furniture. We had the chance to try out the pool. It wasn't huge, but nice and there was also a workout room overlooking the pool. No hot tub. The rooftop deck area off the pool was really nice, but unfortunately too windy and cold for us to use.

The only con in the room was air conditioning. It was super loud! To the point that it was hard to sleep through. I live downtown Toronto, so I can tune out most noises when I sleep but this AC was pretty bad. I don't think they replaced it when they redid everything else. The only thing that would have been nice to add to the room is maybe a mini fridge, but we made do with ice buckets.

Other Notes:
- There is a business centre in the hotel, we used it to print off our boarding passes for free.
- Check out was easy.
- There is a great little restaurant called erbaluce just behind the hotel. Great food, even if it's lacking a bit in decor. http://erbaluce-boston.com/ It's a bit hidden and we just happened to stumble upon it

We'd definitely stay again if we could get a good rate because the hotel was beautiful and staff was pleasant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This used to be the Radisson but has been completely remodeled and has a contemporary feel. We stayed in room 1007 which is fairly large and filled with light, but it doesn't have much of a view. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom is on the small side but ok. The skoah products were so good, I would have gone to find the store if we had time. The concierge (Sargent?) was very helpful and provided us with detailed instructions on public transportation to the arboretum - a great place to visit away from the city.

Wifi is free and fast enough for web browsing, etc, but the room is not set up for wired internet connection, so if you need a faster connection than the wifi for work, you may have some trouble. We didn't check to see if they had a business center for this purpose. Anyhow, this is much better than most other Boston hotels that charge daily for internet access.

The hotel is close to theaters and is within easy walking distance of the Boston Common and the public garden. You could reach Copley place within 15 minutes or so. A Legal Sea Foods restaurant is right across the street and there are many restaurants within a short walk. We didn't eat at their restaurant, Rustic Kitchen, which has interesting decor. All in all, the Revere is a good value and nice "new" hotel and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I searched and searched for a "reasonable" hotel room for a one night work trip to Boston. Just before giving up, one of the mass reservations sites showed me the Revere Hotel. For 239/night it was about 100 cheaper than most other chain/nicer hotels I saw. Reviews were good so I gave it a shot. After an exhausting trip up to Boston and working a full day, I checked into the Revere and was immediately greeted by welcoming front door and desk staff. Quick check-in AND I was offered a complementary glass of champagne to celebrate their renovations. My room was gorgeous- lush yet clean and modern. Close to lots of restaurants and Bliss Spa is one block away. Bathrooms also offer a great line of products in full size pump dispensers. Free internet to boot.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Allen, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was truly a delightful experience. The staff was friendly and helpful and our room was very nice. On the second day, we had both breakfast and dinner at the "Rustic Kitchen" and the food and atmosphere were both top notch. We will definitely stay here again..

Room Tip: the upper floors seem to have great views of the cityscape
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband booked a room here for a birthday night on the town and it couldn’t have been a more wonderful evening. When we checked in Joe at the front desk gave us a glass of sparkling wine, I’ve stayed in plenty of four star hotels and I’ve never been offered a glass of wine while checking in, it was the perfect festive beginning of my birthday. We mentioned it was my birthday. Joe gave us an amazing room on the 23rd floor. It was tastefully decorated, modern, chic, minimalist but not too much so, interesting use of color and elegant comfortable furniture. As upscale hotels go for a more modern, boutique look in the rooms a lot of times are so minimalist that you don’t even have any place to put things. I had an expensive palette of Mac eye shadows break in January at the Pelican Hotel in South Beach because there were no furnishings in the room sans a bed, bureau and small night stand and no vanity at all in the bathroom so I put the palette on a window sill and it fell smashing half the colors! The Revere had beautiful and comfortable furniture and our room even had a balcony which was wonderful to sit out while sipping champagne at night and coffee in the morning. Speaking of sipping champagne, about 20 minutes after we checked in room service showed up with a delicious chocolate cake and a bottle of sparkling wine courtesy of Joe, who if he isn’t the front desk manager he should be! I have never been more warmly welcomed and treated so kindly by hotel staff. Everyone made eye contact, smiled and said hello. It seemed like the people working there enjoyed their jobs and it showed. My only complaint is room service in the morning. Our breakfast was barely warm and there wasn’t any ketchup for my home fries, although they put jelly on the tray even though we didn’t have anything requiring jelly. I ordered fruit and yogurt, they didn’t ask me what kind of yogurt I wanted, usually it is vanilla, which is the norm for a fruit and yogurt plate, but they sent strawberry which I hate. By the time the server came back with ketchup and vanilla yogurt nearly a half hour later we had already eaten. The eggs Benedict was already barely warm and we just wanted to eat. Too bad because had the breakfast been hot it would have been delicious and the berries were really sweet. A four star hotel should do a better job with room service. We were also disappointed that the Emerald Lounge wasn’t open yet, the hotel has been open only a month and apparently they are having trouble getting the city inspectors to come. Since we only live about 15 minutes away from the hotel we will definitely check it out when it does open. It looks very cool! A lot of the upscale hotels in Boston are old so beware of dumps with 70’s décor and not in a cool retro way! I’d recommend the Revere it’s new, it’s cool and the people are really nice.

Room Tip: I don't know if all the rooms have balconies but ask for one!
Arlington
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Found an incredible deal on this newly renovated hotel near Boston Commons. It was previously a Ramada Inn so expectations were low. Hence the surprise. The hotel is beautiful, very contemporary, but not over the top. The room was very comfortable with two queens. Service from all staff was outstanding! Breakfast was included in our rate. Though it was described as a buffet, it was not your standard fare. Lots of sections including omelets made to order and blueberry pancakes on request! The breakfast is served at the restaurant across the front entrance driveway. It is the Rustic Kitchen and apparently has a cooking show in very beautiful surroundings. Had a mistake on our bill which was handled immediately and in a very pleasant manner. Without the deal we got the place is pricey, but because of the location, comfort and service we would definitely consider staying there again.