“Small rooms and unhelpful service”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia
“Small rooms and unhelpful service”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I spent a long weekend at the Omni Parker House Boston with my other half in February. The hotel is in a great location and the room rates were good for a weekend stay. Close proximity to a number of "T" stops and a selection of restaurants, coffee shops and stores within walking distance of the hotel made the location of the property its greatest asset.
The lobby, rooms and staff are formal. The staff were cold and aloof. From the concierge, check-in staff and even the bar tender I did not feel like we were welcome guests.
Our room, which according to the front desk staff was an upgrade from their basic room, had everything a business or leisure traveler really needed except space. I understand that this is a city-center, historic property, but even in Europe I have never stayed in such a small, cramped room. You could not wheel a carry-on bag between the end of the bed and the dresser with the TV on it. The bathroom was clean but equally small and lacking any counter space (just a pedestal sink).
I would not stay at this property again. There are too many other hotels in this section of Boston that offer more space and better service in the same price range.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It is unfortunate that you felt our staff was unhelpful, and I would like to offer my apologies for our less than friendly service.

As an historic building, some of our rooms are small, particularly when compared to newer buildings. I regret if your experience may have marred an otherwise enjoyable visit to Boston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2011

This hotel was fine. It is a 4-star based on the amenities it offers, the lobby is beautiful as are many of its public features, but the rooms (most important to me) are just OK.

The management has alluded on here that some rooms need a care/facelift - my first room, the shower tub had serious cracks and I think they should have stopped giving that out and fixed it, because it was more than a minor issue.

The second room was better, but was very small. I didn't experience the noise/thin walls issue, but I was in a corner room. The hotel is older, but be aware that many people book traditional rooms, which is a room with only 1 bed (and it's somewhere between a twin and a full). Cramped and small, but if the adults are not too tall or overweight, it should fit - but it won't be horribly comfortable.

The security in the hotel is well done, and the staff is accommodating and professional. I wish that a little more attention was given to fixing the rooms, and that they stopped telling people that 2 people can comfortably fit into a traditional room - it's not what people are used to these days, despite the history of the hotel. Those really should be redone and expanded or only sold to solo travelers.

The location is nice - right in the heart of Beacon Hill and Downtown. Not too hard to find parking around the hotel either, but you've got to have a sense of the area.

Join the Omni Select Guest Program before going, if you do - they give you free beverages, pressing, shoe shine, and wifi if you do, and it's free to join online.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
As stated previously, we are in the process of tending to our guestrooms and are fixing and repairing items where needed. It is our plan that all rooms will be addressed before the busy tourist season commences. Thank you for your candid comments and we look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 18, 2011

First the good: Location is excellent, the building is beautiful (though lacking things like pool and having tiny rooms) it is steeped in history and is great starting point to explore Boston. Bed is small, but extremely comfortable. We had no noise issues, other that hearing a person talk in a hallway outside the door a couple times.
On the bad side: Service was minimal. When we checked in, I was told that WIFI is $10 a night and nothing was mentioned about joining a loyalty program to get the stuff for free. Cleaning was non-existant. When we moved in, the room was decent, but the next day and thereafter floor was not vacuumed, table was not wiped. Only replaced towels and took out trash.
On the ugly: I needed to look good for a meeting and went to iron my shirt only to discover that the iron had a stain on it. I called to get another iron, 30 minutes later I got one, with a stain that was worse. I told the guy who brought it and he disappeared, 20 minutes later he brought another iron that looked great. I started ironing only to smell the cord on the iron melting. Called again and was offered a free pressing. Had the suit sent down with precise instructions. Called next morning because the suit was not back only to be told that they have the suit but no instructions. They pressed it and brought it up to me. It was looking worse than before the pressing. They did bring a good iron and I was able to iron it at this point (noon the next day). Fortunately, my meeting was not until the day after.

That said, if any of my friends can book the room for 2 star price and have these service expectations, I would actually still recommend it for the location and the history.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed at the Omni Parker House over Valentines weekend. The hotel lobby was beautiful, check in was a breeze. The gold elevators are beautiful and you really feel like you are stepping back in time. Past that not so hot. The room that we had was soooo small. We had two double beds and they were so small we could not sleep comfortably. The wallpaper was peeling and paint chipping. The rooms are in desperate need of updating. If you stay here you have to pay for a bigger room and hope that you get it, not so great! We had the sunday brunch and it was good but not $22 a person good. I do not think I would stay here again unfortunately.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. As you are aware, our hotel is over 150 years old, and as such, our rooms are small, particularly when compared to contemporary hotels. We are in the process "room care", in which each of our rooms are cleaned, necessary repairs made, etc. We will address items mentioned when we "care" the room you occupied. Unfortuantely, we are not always able to legislate the behaviour of our guests and we apologize for the execessive noise you exprienced. We regret that an otherwise enjoyable visit was marred by your experience.
Leicester, UK
Reviewed February 14, 2011

An old, formal hotel in appearance but with high standards and good quality service.
Well positioned in the centre of the city and close to most of the historic sights.
Good service but a little expensive for extras not pre booked, for example breakfast and meals.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Seekonk, MA
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying my husband and I have stayed in numerous hotels in the Boston area and other areas of the country so I have a lot to compare this hotel to.

I booked the Omni through Priceline. We use Priceline a lot and have never had a problem or been disappointed with our hotel room or location.

Upon check-in, I was informed that we were to be put in a room with ONE full size bed. When I mentioned that I booked through Priceline and that they guarantee a room with either 2 doubles, 1 queen or 1 king, I was told that the hotel was "completely booked" because of the Valentine's weekend.

I said one full size bed was unacceptable and that I would call Priceline immediately.

I was than informed by the woman that Priceline buys blocks of rooms with 2 full beds and that's it. (so why are you trying to stick me in a room with ONE bed?)

The classic "bait and switch" was taking place here. Even though Priceline buys blocks of rooms with TWO beds, they were trying to put us in a room with ONE bed and only after I told her I would call Priceline, did she miraculously find a room with 2 beds.

Another woman at the front desk said "our full beds are larger than normal". NOT true. I was than told we could "each sleep in a bed". I told her we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and didn't want to sleep in separate beds. Isn't that romantic?

I had phoned the hotel on Monday the 7th to request a room with a King bed and was told that "shouldn't be a problem".

The woman at check in told us to "go see the room and decide if it was acceptable". We already paid through Priceline, so our hands were tied.

There was no apology, no offer of "have a drink on us", nothing. So disappointing.

The room was small, barely enough room to walk around the beds, the bathroom was even smaller. There is little to no drawer and closet space for your clothes. We were in a corner room (526) so the bathroom wall is cut off at an angle. It reminded me of a cruise ship bathroom.

How this hotel is given a 4 star rating is beyond me.

The walls are PAPER thin. Other reviews about this are NOT exaggerating. I've never stayed in a hotel with such a lack of privacy from room to room.

There were 4 guests in the room beside us and we could hear their normal conversation....CLEARLY.

That evening they came back to their room about midnight. We were awakened by loud laughing and carrying on. After about an hour of this, I banged on the wall and they're response was "what the @#$! was that" and than they continued to party loudly.
Finally I phoned the front desk at 2 a.m. and told them what was going on. They sent security up.

So here I am in one bed, while my husband is in the other because there is no way that 2 normal size adults will fit in one of these "full" size beds. And as I'm lying there listening to the people in the next room, I'm thinking this is no way to spend our anniversary weekend.

Do not book this hotel if you want a romantic weekend with your significant other, because all of your neighbors will hear exactly what's going on in your room.

I'm shocked that this hotel is rated 4 star based on this alone. There are ways to fix this problem but obviously the Omni doesn't feel the need to guarantee their guests the privacy they deserve.

So basically, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

I'd like to thank the management at the Omni for ruining our weekend. The Omni has a lot to learn when it comes to satisfying their guests.

I am left with such a bad taste in my mouth about this hotel and I'll be sure to tell everyone to avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciated receiving the comments about your stay at our hotel this past weekend because it pointed out our need to retrain some members of our front desk staff on accommodating guests with Priceline reservations. The information you received from us was incorrect and there was no “bait and switch” involved whatsoever. The reservation confirmation you received from Priceline states: “All rooms will accommodate 2 adults. Requests for bed types (King, Queen, 2 Doubles, etc.) or other special needs should be requested through your confirmed hotel and cannot be guaranteed.” We regret that you were under any other impression.
Seekonk, MA
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Took my bride to the Omni for a Valentine's weekend. Used Priceline to get an atrractive $121 rate (including all taxes/fees.. etc). Front lobby is spacious and charming. We were unable to get a king/queen room as promised by Priceline (either the Omni or Priceline is at fault here.). Desk falsely indicated that the beds were larger than normal full-size.. Desk called us once we were in our room and instead of offering us something for our inconvenience.. asked if we staying or leaving.. Not very customer service oriented follow-up. We ended up in a room with 2 full size beds. Confortable beds but way too cramped. A major issue with this hotel is the paper thin walls. We could hear the couples next door as if they were in our room. They were up very late which caused us to complain to the front desk. The situation was quickly rectified. Overall not a great experience and would not stay here again.