“Great location, but very small rooms”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #44 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City
“Great location, but very small rooms”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed with my boyfriend for Valentine's weekend. After reading reviews I did expect the rooms to be small, but not THAT small. The bed was a double bed. We are small people and fit in the bed just fine, but it was uncomfortable. The noise level in the hallways with the cleaning staff and doors opening/closing was unbearable. I slept very poorly here.
If you join their loyalty program ahead of time you get free wireless internet and you also get 1 cold and 1 hot drink delivered to your room each morning for each guest in the room. I thought that was very nice. Room Service was on the pricey side.
Housekeeping was always out in the hall, however one day they did not come to clean our room or give fresh towels. Having said that, they did, however, come in during the day to take out the room service tray because that was gone when we got back to the room.
Overall it was a good stay. I would probably stay again because the location was so great.

1 Thank hunny284

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wexford
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed here for three days with colleagues on an educational trip to Boston and found the hotel to be well worth a return visit. Wonderfully elegant, reminiscent of older Eurpoean Grand Dame hotels. Rooms very comfortable and breakfast is not to be missed. Staff were all genuinely welcoming and courteous with the exception of one waitress in the Last Hurrah bar who seemed more interested in ensuring she was left a substantial enough tip rather than doing anything to earn it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Wex37
Reviewed February 16, 2010

The rooms are very small. Originally we booked a standard room, but we had to upgrade to a deluxe room, since the standard room comes only with a full size bed. The upgraded room was tiny and so was the bathroom, which was squeezed into a corner. There was no granite in the bathroom, it just looked blah. The view was nice so. $ 40 for parking is way too expensive. I did not feel welcomed here and it was a disappointing experience for all of us.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank Travelbee71
Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Had a great stay in the Omni Parker House in Boston. Rooms are small but then again we had a lot of luggage. The bed is unbelievably comfortable and the room was very quiet so we great sleep. All in all, a gorgeous hotel in a great location!

Stamford, CT
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I am very surprised to see so many positive reviews for this hotel. I am hardly ever one to complain but after having just returned from a two-night stay at the Omni Parker House for a special Valentine's Day weekend with my boyfriend, I truly feel ripped off and misled. I booked through Priceline and was "upgraded" from a 3-star to the "4-star" Omni, but I am sure I would have been better off not being "upgraded" at all.

Firstly, the advertised pictures were very misleading. The lobby was certainly beautiful but the room itself was HORRIBLE. The first thing I noticed was the strong smell of cleaning supplies, which lasted my entire stay. Then I saw how tiny the room was, barely fitting one double size bed and some squeezed-in furniture -- extremely close quarters and uncomfortable for two adults. Now, I've stayed in smaller hotel rooms before, but at least there was a queen or king size bed and a well-designed interior to make it feel a little more open. The bathroom was also very small -- you couldn't actually be in the bathroom and have the door open at the same time. Additionally, I did not expect to have any sort of special view, but this view was atrocious. We look out onto a rooftop covered in trash and could see right into peoples' apartments (and I'm sure they could see into our window). As much as we wanted to open the curtain to feel a little less claustrophobic, closing the curtain was really the less offensive option.

We then tried to connect to the internet on an iPod Touch to plan our evening. We called the front desk to ask for assistance and apparently "you have to purchase internet for $10 a day, but you could get it for free if you sign up for a rewards program but he wasn't even really sure how it worked but no matter what you have to go down to the lobby to do it". Huh? We didn't even try after that explanation.

Happy to get out of our room, my boyfriend and I proceeded to get drinks in the bar area of the lobby. While it was definitely a cozy atmosphere, we could not fully enjoy it because we were flat-out ignored by our waitress. After taking nearly forty-five minutes to flag her down to pay for our ridiculously expensive beers, we decided it was time to leave the hotel altogether and enjoy the local area. We asked someone at the front desk if he could suggest any fun places around, to which he responded, "I'm not sure if I can help you because I'm not sure of what reservations are going to be like this evening so I'm going to ask you to ask someone else." I translated this as "I don't know" or "I'm too lazy to help you" or "you don't look worth my time". So we asked another gentleman at the concierge to help. We were looking for somewhere in walking distance that had food and maybe some music and dancing. Since he immediately suggested a place called "Fajitas and Ritas", we trusted that this had to be a great local spot. Following the Concierge's directions in the freezing cold, we ended up nowhere near the joint and ended up going into another hotel to ask for directions, and they quickly pointed us in the right direction. We finally arrived at the restaurant, and although it had potential to be a fun place, it was practically a Mexican food dining hall for college students. Literally, the entire place was packed with college students. We ended up having an OK cheap meal and a few margaritas but the place closed only an hour after we arrived. Honestly, I was slightly offended that the Concierge at the Omni would suggest such a place that did not contain any of our criteria. Perhaps he was not knowledgeable about the area or maybe assumed we were college students. Either way, it was a huge disappointment and totally nothing like what we were looking for.

The next day while passing by the lobby we noticed two different couples complaining at the desk, having similar problems we had, particularly with the room. Our room specifically was right across the hall from the Housekeeping closet, which caused a few issues for us. We were totally unable to take a brief nap in the afternoon because Housekeeping was quite loud in the hallway, but that was understandable since it was in the afternoon. But what was really infuriating was being woken up in the morning by extremely loud chatting among the Housekeeping staff. They were literally yelling at each other right in front of our door (which had the Please Do Not Disturb sign on it) early in the morning. After about 15 minutes of this, my boyfriend had to ask them to please quiet down. They apologized but even their continuous talking at a low volume could be heard through the walls, in addition to the rustling of bags. There was certainly no going back to sleep for me.

I briefly and totally non-aggressively voiced my complaints at check-out and barely received an apology. In fact, the woman at the desk seemed to get quite defensive. We left with a very poor taste in our mouths. While the experience wasn't disastrous, the Omni Parker House is certainly not half as nice as any other "4 star" hotel I've ever been in and I feel a duty to warn people not to get their hopes up or spend any significant amount of money on this hotel. Nice location, but that's about it. Not worth it!

4 Thank aespins18
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I can't believe this hotel got any bad reviews. They must be the unluckiest people in the world. I think this place is wonderful--the room is beautiful and comfy, and the staff is just beyond nice. It's not the size of a suite at the Hilton and the bathroom isn't big, but it's a lovely historic hotel and everything is clean and new without being antiseptic, it's a great deal for the price. Not to mention the location, it's so close to everything you want to see. I highly recommend joining the Select Guest program. It's free, they don't stalk you through e-mail and I got an upgrade without even asking. Just the free internet and free morning beverage is worth it. I would definitely stay here again and I'm even thinking of trying the Omni in Chicago for an upcoming birthday treat downtown. If you want a sleek, modern hotel it isn't for you but if you love elegant historic places definitely give it a try.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank jezebel59
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed February 8, 2010

As part of a two week family vacation, we spent our last three days at the Parker House. My daughters are 7 and 11, my wife had never been to New England, and we were ending a vacation that included, Wash DC, Williamsburg, Philidelphia, and Boston. I had done my research, and decided to book a suite. We had the Freedome Trail Suite, which was really great and well worth the money. This hotel oozes with history, is right on the Freedom Trail, good walking distance to wonderful attractions, and had a great staff.
I am aware that rooms very here. The suites are really nicely done, and the staff is great. If you like to take in history, enjoy a classic hotel...this is really the place!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 11, 2010
You were really wise to reserve the Freedom Trail Suite for your family, particularly for your little ones as it was designed specifically with children in mind - thanks for the great review and we were pleased you and your family had a wonderful time in Boston.