“Wonderful Experience and Great Location”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #50 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 21, 2005

We loved the location,friendly staff and the hotel is very clean.
We didn't experience or find any of the poor feedback the hotel received was less than one of the best we have stayed in a upscale hotel in the USA.
Recomend staying here as the value is outstanding and the location is perfect.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank SJWALSH
Write a ReviewReviews (8,231)

A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed October 16, 2005

The hotel is one of the oldest in the U.S. and it shows. It is grand but shabby. I upgraded my room to an executive one, it was huge - but all it had in it was two enormous beds and a small lamp table. I felt like I was sleeping in a barn. The bathroom was miniscule, unbelievably tiny. The handbasin was cracked and the plug in the bath didn't seal properly.
I had great expectations of this place, but wouldn't stay there again.

Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2005

Stayed a few nights there. Picked the hotel based on reviews from this site, and on the relative reasonableness (for a good hotel in Boston, with last-minute booking) of its rates.

The good:
(i) the best surprise, by far, was the restaurant. For dinner, I sampled all of their appetizers, and they were -- with the exception of the crabcakes, which were merely OK -- truly excellent. Wines by the glass had some very good choices at reasonable prices.
(ii) The breakfast is also very good, and the well-stocked buffet is reasonably priced at $15.
(iii) staff were nice, especially (again) in the restaurant
(iv) good location next to King's Chapel, with CVS, Starbucks and Borders close by (handy for emergencies when traveling with young kids).

the OK:
(i) the bathroom was small, but in very good working order. All of the supplies were of high quality.
(ii) that the hotel is not very quiet can be expected from its central location; still, it could be much worse -- did not get woken up by outside noises, and if woken up for some other reason, one can get back to sleep with a pillow on one's head.

the not so good:
(i) sound insulation of the room doors is subpar. One can hear all the noisier conversations in the hallway.
(ii) the beds could have been longer (6'1", and half of my feet were sticking out) and more supportive (got a slight backache, which I only get
on overly soft beds -- YMMV).
(iii) paid for a room with a desk and internet access, got one without a desk (ended up not needing internet access).

In all, though, a good choice if a bit pricy.

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank Ayilar
Reviewed October 2, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Omni for 7 nights during Sept. I cant understand how some people critisise the staff of this beautiful hotel,as far as we are concerned they were charming and courteos.
We had a delux room which made are stay very comfortable,we would definetly stay at the Omni again.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank Jakethepeg
Reviewed September 21, 2005

I stayed here for a work conference just last week.

I was a bit surprised (had forgotten to check this site for reviews to be prepared!) by the size of the room, but soon adjusted. The furnishing of the room were simple and beautiful, though as many have said, the room was a little cramped. I was worried at first, because I was going to be there for several days on this conference.

After I settled in, I really loved it. I know not everyone does, so here is my explanation - when I travel, my priorities are this order: cleanliness, service, atmoshere, amenities, space. I'm usually willing to sacrifice amenities and space for any or all of the first three. So, here are the things that made me enjoy the place:
1. The room was very clean, and well-stocked with towels. I hate calling down for towels, and never had to do this - there were plenty there. They were even the nice size towels, not the tiny ones you can barely dry off with. The housekeeping people did an excellent job maintaining my room while I visited.
2. Service was great! The reception, concierge, bellhop, restaurant waiters, bar waiters - everyone was friendly and helpful, and I felt very welcome in their hotel. Phone calls down to the concierge or reception for problems or questions were answered promptly and with great courtesy. I never felt like anything I was asking for was a problem.
3. Atmosphere - I know this is silly, and entirely subjective, but I hate staying at hotels that all feel the same as every other hotel, where you could be in any other city if the curtians are drawn. No such feeling in this place. It was beautiful, had character, and I felt like I was at home the whole time, rather than a sterile box.

I didn't have any of the problems people mentioned earlier about leaks or other maintanence issues. I can see how that would be off-putting.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank resaben
A TripAdvisor Member
Lithonia, Ga
Reviewed September 15, 2005

We called the front desk to report a water leak and was told someone would be right up. It took them 24 hours and another call before they got there. The first person showed up with towels and said it was fixed. The second checked and said yes it was fixed. The third said he would have to turn the water off to repair it. The rooms are to small and a desk would have been nice.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 31, 2005

I live in Boston and I did have some friends coming over and staying in Radisson or Hyatt or Hilton.

This was my special occasion for my parents to attend my graduation from abroad and I wanted them to stay close to where I live and chose Omni-parker hotel and checked their lobby to make sure it is the right place for my parents and booked a deluxe room for 4 nights.

The first time they checked in, the accompanying PA called and addressed the concern of the hotel. And I rushed in to check their room.

Instead of contacting me beforehand, they already checked in. The room was awfully small. They squeezed two double beds into the single room and there was no way that my poor folks could unfold their suitcases unless putting them on the bed.

There was one chair in the room but it was in the way making anyone unable to get out of the bed from the window side. Basically the room had 2' around two double beds and one separate bathroom with rusted & outmoded features. I remind the readers that this was the deluxe room.

I wend to the lobby and asked for changing the rooms but they said it was all full as it was a graduation season. We originally asked for a king bed with the view to the park st/Boston Common but, they were facing ugly rooftop of government center side with two double beds giving no space to move around.

And, I canceled the reservation and moved my folks to my condo and still had to pay for not just for the first night charge but second night charge as well.

Still passing by the hotel today, I get really upset to see this hotel being run as they ruined my plan to have my folks enjoy their stay while in Boston.

Anyone traveling to Boston should know that the best location to stay should be in COPLEY PLAZA AREA-Hynes Convention Center- Kenmore square, not PARK STREET. The next best location will be HARVARD SQUARE. The third location will be Kendall Sq. MIT but there are only two hotels there.

If your location is none of these 3 locations, you will feel like you are distant from the scenes.

There are no true 5 star hotels in Boston. And, don't waste your money in Omni Parker hotel rated as 4 star. You can find better deal at lower cost in Westin/Marriot/Hilton at the same price or lower. The only part I like about this hotel was the flower arrangement and carpentry works in the lobby and you are free to enter to see them. But would you pay 30%-40% more to stay in half the size of the rooms with late 80s decor?

To me, simply it was a cheesey deceiving business.

• Stayed: June 2002