“embarrassingly small room”

Omni Parker House
Ranked #47 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 31, 2005

I live in Boston and I did have some friends coming over and staying in Radisson or Hyatt or Hilton.

This was my special occasion for my parents to attend my graduation from abroad and I wanted them to stay close to where I live and chose Omni-parker hotel and checked their lobby to make sure it is the right place for my parents and booked a deluxe room for 4 nights.

The first time they checked in, the accompanying PA called and addressed the concern of the hotel. And I rushed in to check their room.

Instead of contacting me beforehand, they already checked in. The room was awfully small. They squeezed two double beds into the single room and there was no way that my poor folks could unfold their suitcases unless putting them on the bed.

There was one chair in the room but it was in the way making anyone unable to get out of the bed from the window side. Basically the room had 2' around two double beds and one separate bathroom with rusted & outmoded features. I remind the readers that this was the deluxe room.

I wend to the lobby and asked for changing the rooms but they said it was all full as it was a graduation season. We originally asked for a king bed with the view to the park st/Boston Common but, they were facing ugly rooftop of government center side with two double beds giving no space to move around.

And, I canceled the reservation and moved my folks to my condo and still had to pay for not just for the first night charge but second night charge as well.

Still passing by the hotel today, I get really upset to see this hotel being run as they ruined my plan to have my folks enjoy their stay while in Boston.

Anyone traveling to Boston should know that the best location to stay should be in COPLEY PLAZA AREA-Hynes Convention Center- Kenmore square, not PARK STREET. The next best location will be HARVARD SQUARE. The third location will be Kendall Sq. MIT but there are only two hotels there.

If your location is none of these 3 locations, you will feel like you are distant from the scenes.

There are no true 5 star hotels in Boston. And, don't waste your money in Omni Parker hotel rated as 4 star. You can find better deal at lower cost in Westin/Marriot/Hilton at the same price or lower. The only part I like about this hotel was the flower arrangement and carpentry works in the lobby and you are free to enter to see them. But would you pay 30%-40% more to stay in half the size of the rooms with late 80s decor?

To me, simply it was a cheesey deceiving business.

• Stayed: June 2002
9  Thank One_Big_Hopping_Dot
There are newer reviews for Omni Parker House

Reviewed August 28, 2005

A very traditional hotel in a good downtown location. Got a good internet rate for a 'European' room. I know that Europeans are marginally less obese than our US friends, but this is a new euphemism on me for cramped and poky. Virtually no natural light and hardly room to swing a cat, unless it is of the tail-less Manx variety. I only used it for one night en route somewhere else and was happy to put up with it - everything was clean and well-serviced - but I wouldn't want to stay there any longer.

4  Thank The_Sherriff
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Perfect location, well worth the extra money to stay in the middle of everything, walking distance to Quincy Market, Freedom Trail, etc.
Small room, but excellent service, good beds.

8  Thank seremarcus
Ridgewood Nj
Reviewed August 22, 2005

Our daughter graduated from college in May and my entire family flew out for the week. We started our trip with our stay at the Omni Parker House. The reviews, although helpful, can make a traveler nervous since it is hard to determine if the writer just had a bad day. We went anyway and were very, very pleased with the service and our accommodations. The rooms were a bit smaller, not tight though, for an older hotel but truly nicely furnished and the beds very comfortable.

Dinner in the bar was not the best and the morning room service was not worth the price but all in all a very nice stay. I would go back - the location was great and walking very convenient. The valet service for the car was timely and the entire staff very pleasant

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
bulgaria
Reviewed August 20, 2005

it was the most terrible vbisit I'va ever had
a bathroom is so small and the people in the hotel are very agressive
i never back there

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 17, 2005

My husband and I just returned from Boston where we celebrated our 10 yr wedding anniversary. Fortunately, we chose to stay at the Omni Parker. Being that I used to work in hospitality I find that I can be overly critical of hotel staff/service. The service and attention to detail at the Omni was exceptional, we arrived around 11pm and at 11.30pm room service arrived with a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. I at first thought my husband had pre-ordered this treat, but found out that they offered this as an anniversary treat.
I have read some reviews of the rooms being small but I found that our room was a decent size, unless you are accustomed to living in a penthouse suite? We were on a main road but could not hear a thing from the traffic below, and the views of the park just down the road were lovely. We drank drinks in the bar and the prices were your standard bar prices. We had a wonderful time. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay there again, hopefully soon.

• Stayed: August 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2005

We just returned from our stay at the Omni Parker House which we highly enjoyed. We were tourists in Boston and found the location to be wonderful -- close to all of the historic sights (right on the Freedom Trail), walking distance to the North End and very convenient to the T (two blocks away.)

The lobby is beautiful with an "old world" elegance yet we felt very welcomed in our casual attire. The staff and concierge went out of their way to be helpful. We had a very pleasant, comfortable room with 2 double beds and a full bath.

We hope to return some day to the Omni Parker House.

Stayed: August 2005