“Small Room/Big Room - Good Hotel”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 4, 2005

The Hotel is well situated in the heart of Boston 15 minutes travelling time from the airport.

It is a step into Bostons history. JFK was a regular, Ho Chi Min worked there, the Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Roll were invented there. The lobby is awesome.

I travelled with my wife and two teenage kids. We stayed three nights and had two twin double bedded rooms. The porter took us to the 14th floor and the first room was run of the mill, clean, well decorated but pretty small with a smallish bathroom.

Leaving my wife and daugther there we were shown to the second room - WOW.

This room was absolutely huge with three windows giving views to three side of the hotel - If you can ask for room 1462.

The hotel bar was nice and no more expensive than bars outside the hotel. The restuarant was more formal and expensive.

The hotel was very nice and misses out on 5/5 because of the small size of one of the rooms.

11  Thank Monument

Reviewed July 19, 2005

We stayed at the Boston Omni from July 15 - July 17, 2005. It was my husband and I and our 12 yr. old son and 12 yr. old nephew. The rooms with two double beds are EXTREMELY tiny for four people. I would definately stay here again, but not with our children or I'd move to a larger room.

The room was very nice albeit small. There is a tiny closet which in the hotels' defense they try to make accomodating even though its stuffed with iron/ironing board, suitcase holder, hangers, extra pillows and blankets. It does not leave a lot of room for clothing. The beds were fine with very nice bedding, lots of pillows, etc. There is a chair shoved in the corner which is not really useful since you have to climb over the bed to get to it. The TV is in a huge cabinet which again takes up tons of room. All in all they try to make the room appealing but when you walk in with 4 people and luggage it's loses it's charm. The bathroom was very clean, but again small. The one major issue is the lack of outlets in the room. Today with portable this and that you need some outlets. We had to play "Gumby" and plug in the charger for our cellphone. After that no where else to plug in much of anything. This was a bit frustrating.

The facility itself is gorgeous and in a prime location. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Again, if and when it's just me and my husband we would definatley stay here again. We did have an enjoyable stay and I expected going in that the rooms would be small but they were a bit too small for our taste.

8  Thank vttravelers2
Reviewed July 16, 2005

We stayed four nights at the Parker House. It is very plush and charming. They are having their 150th anniversary this year, so it is very historic. The lobby is gorgeous and the rooms, while small, are beautifully decorated and clean. The concierges were extremely helpful in advising us of tours then making reservations as well as giving directions to various sites. Its location is convenient to Faneuil Hall, Boston Common, the Freedom Trail and public transportation stations.

12  Thank pinocch854
Detroit, MI
Reviewed July 12, 2005

My wife and two children just got back from our 4 night stay in Boston. The Omni Parker House was an excellent choice and everything we had expected. The location is fantastic as we were only a couple minute walk from Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market as well as the Old State House. The hotel is directly across the street from the freedom trail path. My only negative was that our room had two double beds and there was no room for anything else. But we had expected this from prior reviews so I can't be too upset about this. My advice is this: If you want to spend time in your room, this may not be the hotel for you. If you just want to sleep there, then have a great time!

Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Husband and I stayed here for our 10th anniversary trip. Chose it based on reviews from this site! Although you would never know by looking at the outside, The Parker House is a beautiful, historic hotel with a lot of character. The staff could not have been more pleasant or helpful. We arrived earlier than check-in so we had them store our bags while we explored the city. They called us on our cell as soon as our room was ready so we would not have to guess about when to return. We chose the deluxe room which was tastefully decorated, had a desk, comfortable king bed with very nice linens, TV armoir, corner chair and ample space for a city hotel. Noise was not a problem, but that may just depend on your neighbors. The bathroom was small, but pretty and had shower with bathtub, pedestal sink, nice towels, etc. Everything was clean. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant. It was very good and sort of takes you back in time. The location can't be beat either. Right on the Freedom Trail, you can walk to most of the main attractions in minutes, and one block to Gov't Center T stop. Sure there may be newer, ritzier hotels with bigger rooms, but not with this location at this price! I highly recommend the Omni Parker House (unless, for some reason, you prefer contemporary!).
TIP: Join select guest on Omni's website. It is free and gives you nice perks!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2005

Second time staying there. Stayed for 2 nights at the end of June. I don't know what to say but that I love this place. The price is great for the location. Sure the room isn't the biggest but I don't know how big you need a place to be as long as you have the 2 beds (in my case) and room for bags. Most of the time you'll be outside walking around Boston anyways. The close proximity to Faneuil Hall and Boston Common/Public Garden is very key. The staff was helpful especially the valets. I would recommend it to anyone looking to visit Boston. Besides you're right on the Freedom Trail as well. What I thought was very nice is that I got a handwritten note from the housekeeping crew. Never seen that before. Can't say enough about the place. I'm sold on the hotel and I plan on staying there every time I come to Boston.

• Stayed: June 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2005

Overall the Omni is nice. Small room, but not as small as some in New York City... great location. Generally expensive room rates. Free internet in room (ethernet, not wireless) but it is a bit slow. Better than dial-up, but slower than DSL at home, but at least there is no charge. My only real complaint is there is no desk in the room! Makes it hard to work. I am using my laptop in bed now since there really isn't another place to work. Bathroom has shower only (no tub). TV is small (20" max). Nice linens, comfortable bed. Walls are a bit thin (can hear people talking next door).

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business