“Wonderful History, Truly Beautiful, Fabulous Location, Great Staff, but Small”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #46 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
lower gwynedd, PA
“Wonderful History, Truly Beautiful, Fabulous Location, Great Staff, but Small”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I don' think there's another hotel with a better location in Boston. The Parker House is truly in the best location! The history and beauty of the hotel is really special also. (Oldest continuously operated hotel in America, home to Parker House Rolls & Boston Creme Pie - the best!) Plus the list of people who stayed and also worked there are impressive!

The staff was exceptional! We found the entire staff to be the best we've ever experienced anywhere in the world - including compared to the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons!

We did a lot of driving during our stay - we actually had 2 cars - and the in and out valet was extremely convenient!

We had the breakfast and park package for a family of 4 and found it to be a great value. We received breakfast each morning for our family and also had in and out parking priviledges for one of the cars. The buffet breakfast was great - eggs or omelets to order with fruit, lox, bagels, sausage, bacon, pancake or french toast, cereal, rolls, danish, juice and coffee in the beautiful parker dining room. The charge would have been $20 per person, but it was free! Because of the large breakfast we skipped lunch! And the charge for valet would have been $40 - very price competitive compared to other Boston parking. (We got charged $36 for a couple hours at the Prudential Center)

Also the beds were unbelievably comfortable, but small.

Depending on party size and need, I would recommend staying there. As per the previous reviews, the doubles (2 double beds) are extremely small! We are a family of 4 with a 16 and 12 year old. Based on previous reviews, we tried to get another type of room, but it wasn't available. And, the room size was unbearable for us. After one night they were able to provide us with a larger double, but 2 double beds for 2 adults and 2 teens is still a killer. If they could not accomodate us with a larger room, we would have had to check out, because it was unbearable!

Also, the counter space as noted by a previous reviewer is a killer! I took her advice and used the ironing board for additional counter space. There is absolutely no counter space in the bathroom - they could have minimized the problem by installing medicine cabinets!

Also, outlets are tight - only 2 usuable in the room. If you bring a power strip (and maybe extension cord) from home you at least might be able to charge your cell phones, plug in your laptop(s), and maybe even get your blow dryer near a mirror so you can see when you blow dry your hair. Not an issue if you're traveling with 1 person. But if you're traveling with multiple people or a family, You cannot blow dry your hair if another person is taking a shower.

If the size of the rooms were bigger, there is no doubt in my mind that this would be the number 1 rated hotel in boston! Definetely stay there if you are 1 or 2 people, but beware if you need to put 3 or more in 1 room.

By the way, register as a select guest before you go - it's free and you get free morning beverage service delivered with your choice of newspaper. Robes, Check-in Choc Chip Cookie & Milk, Free room internet (or else they charge - why I don't know) and other amenities.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank donnaonlbi
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, June 1, 2009
Our hotel has a fantastic history as the longest, continously operating hotel in North America. The draw back is that some of our rooms are small, particularly compared to those built in the 20th/2lst century . We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay us and took advantage of our location. We look forward to you returning some day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (950)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Roll Tide
Reviewed May 26, 2009

In the spirit of full disclosure, let me start by saying that I didn't actually stay at the hotel. But based on the service I received from the front desk management, I look forward to doing so. I called a few days before my checkin time to cancel the reservation. The agent told me that I didn't actually have a reservation under my last name. Strange, but then I thought about it and never received a confirmation email about my reservation either, so I thought it was just an anomaly. After the trip I received an email asking me to complete a survey about my stay, which sent red flags off. I called and they informed me that I did have a reservation and it was never cancelled. After a long time on hold, the agent at the central office told me that she had talked to the front desk manager at the Parker House and that everything would be taken care of. A few minutes later I had a call from Sarah, the manager, explaining that she would look into the situation, but not to worry as they would credit my card.
In a time when the hotel industry is really hurting, it is nice to know that Omni still puts the customers first.

Memphis
Reviewed May 26, 2009

I read about this hotel & was concerned about the size of the rooms so we stayed in the one bedrrom suite. Great location. Service was very good. They have a workout/weight room but no spa or massage services. The value compared to other hotels makes it worth the stay. Bar is good and food is OK. Eat in the North End. About 200 Italian restaurants (great seaford and within walking distance of hotel).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for submitted your comments regarding your recent stay at the Omni Parker House Hotel - so glad to read that you were pleased with our location and took advantage of dinner in the North End - look forward to you staying with us again in the future
NJ
Reviewed May 22, 2009

What a wonderful stay we had at this hotel. We were in Boston visiting colleges for with my son. I had read some great reviews and some about not so good. I cannot say one negative thing about this hotel. Location - fantastic. Staff -extremely friendly and helpful. Room - absolutely beautiful and comfortable. We were upgraded to a junior suite and all I can say is I wish I could have extended my stay to enjoy it longer. When we went out - I wanted to get back to the room just to enjoy it. Spacious, beautiful furnishings, great layout. Oh and the fitness room is also good for those of us who cannot skip exercising while we travel - in way better shape than many I have had to use. The price for the stay was also incredibly reasonable for a Boston hotel. And if you read anything about hauntings - pay no attention - I was worried this would give me a weird feeling when I arrived - these people are crazy.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ags3391
Thank you for your kinds words regarding your recent stay at the Omni Parker House Hotel, all of us here are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to you returning in the near future
pitlochry
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My partner and myself spent 5 days in this hotel and thought we had a really good trip. Nice room, small bathroom, nice staff. Then when we get home we discover that they charged $27 on my credit card. We never ate or had room service at the hotel, nothing from the mini-bar. We have had no answer to e-mails sent even to say what the charge was for. Whoever replies to these comments on this site, don't just respond to the nice ones, answer your e-mails and sort this problem out. There's no way i would recommend a hotel which takes money without explanation.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seenit2
Billerica
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I ordered a suite, the room seemed more like a standard. The couch was gone, not sure where, but there was 2 double beds, 2 small chairs, a small table that was covered with stuff/brochures, etc, so it was of no use...and a big empty space where I assume the pull-out couch "was"
The bathroom was so small that I had to pull the ironing board out to use as a table for my blow dryer and toiletries....I had to close the door just to get in the bathroom...If this was a suite, we wondered what the standard room was like. The service was great and the location was phenominal...probably why they still have guests. We usually stay at the Bostonian in Fanueil hall, but wanted to try something new......we will be back to the bostonian.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about the Omni Parker House, the longest, continuously operating hotel in America. Our hotel is over 155 years old, and essentially maintains the same footprint as it did in the mid 1800’s. While the age of the hotel provides an unmatchable history to our patrons, it has the unfortunate drawback of a number of our guestrooms being small, particularly when compared to those of a 21st century hotel. Thank you for your comments and we regret that you were disappointed with the size of your room and lack of a sleeper sofa.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 16, 2009

I typically write longer reviews, but with the Parker House it is easy to sum up in just a few words. The location is superb (a few blocks from Gov't Center T, which is a T hub and can get you anywhere in the city). The rooms are large, clean, and classy. The hotel restaurants are fantastic, especially for breakfast. The staff is what you'd expect from a top notch chain such as The Omni. I stayed here three times for work over the last year or so and I would absolutely stay here each and every time I return to Boston. I've stayed in a lot of 4- and 5-star hotels and I would be hard pressed to put one above this one.

If it's good enough for John F. Kennedy's bachelor party, then it's good enough for me.

Stay here and you will not regret it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank YadiDadi
Manager1856, manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
We were so pleased to read of your enjoyable stay at the Omni Parker House recently. The old world charm of our hotel is a unique and, of course, our location is the best there is for taking advantage of all that Boston offers its visitors. All of us at the Omni Parker House appreciated your kind words and we hope to have you return again soon.