“Beautiful and Classic Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Richmond, VA
“Beautiful and Classic Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Parker House is a beautiful old hotel in a perfect location that has managed to strike the right balance between old world charm and modern amenities. We especially liked the little museum in the lower lobby with artifacts and photos from the hotel's glory days. We took the advice of others on this site and joined Omni Select before booking our room so we were able to select our room preferences and got everything we asked for. The room was perfect with many nice touches. The staff was very helpful, conveying much of the hotel's old elegance without being stiff or stuffy. The rates were quite reasonable, but I was disappointed that when I used my mobile app to get reviews for this hotel, I was not shown the special offer (free parking and breakfast for tripadvisor users who join Omni Select). I only saw it when I logged on using my laptop to write this review, three days after my stay was completed.

Room Tip: If you join the Omni Select loyalty program you can choose things like upper floor, corner room, tur...
1 Thank ekf

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Floral Park, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed with my husband here for a three-day business trip last November.

Pros:
-The hotel interior really is GORGEOUS. From the moment you enter the lobby you feel transported--the ceiling is impossibly high and every wall and furnishing is packed with grand, historical decor--great first impression.
-The woman we spoke with at the reception was very sweet. Later on, we had an issue where we made a call from the hotel phone, not realizing just how expensive it would be to use it for only 10 minutes! My husband went down and spoke with the same woman, and she immediately pulled the ludicrous phone charges from our bill, apologizing.
-Although I had my qualms with the room (listed below) I found the bed very comfortable. My husband and I both slept very soundly.
-The hotel’s Parker’s Bar was excellent for after-dinner time. The drinks and all the desserts there were wonderful (try the Moscato!) and the place had a nice, sophisticated atmosphere.
-Amazing location, near tons of shops and restaurants--everything is within walking distance, including the subway lines, which were only about a 2 minute walk from hotel. I work from home and was able to walk across the street and sit with my laptop in a Starbucks (a very friendly Starbucks, too, with strong wifi) for hours, then stroll through the shops when I needed a break. It’s a lovely area.

Cons
-The reason why we needed to make a call on the hotel phones in the first place is because our room (as well as most of the hotel) is a dead zone. There was no cell service anywhere except in the lobby--which was very frustrating. If I wanted to call my husband to see what time he’d be leaving work, I needed to first leave our room and take the elevator down from the 15th floor to do it. Not convenient.
-The room was very dark ( a single window that looked out at two brick walls, not much room for sunlight, and few lamps in the room). It was also a bit cramped (sloping ceiling, tiny bathroom) and dated (walls, furnishings, fixture are obviously “old,” but not in the enchanting way that the lobby and restaurants are).
-The a la carte breakfast was sadly underwhelming, and highly overpriced (maybe the buffet was better?). Better to walk down the street and grab breakfast from one of the many better-quality, cheaper-priced options down either street that the hotel borders. Didn’t try it for dinner--too many other options in the heart of Boston.
-In addition the man who served us was cold and a bit rude. The older woman who brought us our drinks at the bar above the restaurant was even colder and ruder, and I couldn’t shake the feeling that it was somehow because of our age (my husband and I are/were both 23). She was very condescending when she asked me for my ID, which I happily showed her when I ordered a glass of moscato and some cheesecake, and continued to eye us as if we were a couple of “hooligans” throughout the night. At least the food was good…

Overall I’d probably stay here again, but definitely wouldn’t bother eating at the hotel. The rooms were not ideal but we didn’t spend much time in them, and the rest of the place was very grand. The location is superb. Biggest thing that worked against them for me was the cold waitstaff and the complete inability to use any cell phone from within the comfort of my own room.

Room Tip: Maybe request a room with a view of the street, so that you can get more light filtering in through...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Danielle M
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We appreciate receiving this feedback and will follow up with our staff on the "cons" list that this guest presents. However, we are very surprised to read about problems with cell phone reception as we've not had this issue presented to us in the past. If this guest can contact us to let us know in which room she stayed along with her cell phone carrier, we'll investigate what can be done to improve the situation with that particular carrier.
Northeast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My mother, toddler, and I spent a night here in January and loved it. The staff was excellent and very sweet to my daughter. She loved the little backpack they gave her and the milk and cookies. The room was a little small but worked fine. We ordered room service for dinner and the food was great, as it was in the morning fir the breakfast buffet. We were very impressed and would definitely return!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wegonownortheast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Omni Parker House Hotel in Boston was a gem! The staff is EXTREMELY friendly and helpful, and the rich history of the hotel was easy to see as well as read about. I enjoyed the clean room, quiet atmosphere and central location in downtown Boston (right near Boston Common, Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall, etc.). Great place to stay!

1 Thank Pauline V
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed in room 305 for 2 nights, in what was described on the BA website as a 'traditional' room in a 5 star hotel. It was described as "The Omni Parker House is modern luxury at its best. The recently renovated guest rooms blend authentic decor with modern amenities." The reality was that the room was very cramped, 3m x 3m at most, with a diagonal wall narrowing the room to window width. The room was very dark, overlooking an aircon unit (topped by a sodden Bible!) and a brick wall. Very depressing view! The room had one double bed with only enough space to walk in single file between the bed and the TV. When 4 family members came to visit, the room was so claustrophobic with everyone pressed against the walls, with nowhere to sit, as only one small chair. Packing our suitcases was difficult as there was hardly space to open the case lid. The bathroom, well equipped for its size, was tiny and claustrophobic, with paper thin walls. Talking of paper thin walls, someone coughing in a nearby room sounded as if they were sharing our room. The bellhops meeting us were brusque and unfriendly, giving a bad first impression. When I said to a receptionist that we were disappointed by the view from the room, she replied that city centre hotels did not usually have good views! Several years ago we stopped in the Last Hurrah bar and were enthralled by the decor and the historic stories related by the enthusiastic barman. We looked forward to staying in the Omni Parker if the Last Hurrah experience was the foretaste. However, on this visit the Last Hurrah bar was closed on Sundays. Our visit to the Parker Bar/Restaurant was completely different - the place lacked any atmosphere, and our server was professional but cold and disengaging, never once smiling. The hotel rests on its reputation as the oldest running hotel with great history and wonderful location on the Freedom Trail, but the 'traditional' rooms and staff let the place down. We found most of the staff unfriendly and unwelcoming, and the room was horrible. We've stayed in some great Boston hotels, and this was not one of them! By all means enter the reception and admire the decor and the bronze elevator doors, but do not be tempted to stay in this hotel! It was such a disappointment!

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor! Avoid 'traditional' room! Avoid room 305!
2 Thank J0hnG305
We freely admit that our traditional rooms are smaller compared to modern hotels but present a great value given our history and ideal location on Boston's Freedom Trail. The tip to book a deluxe room or larger is a good one if room size is important. It's quite likely that the room issue clouded their overall experience for which we apologize.
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Parker House is one of our very favorite hotels in the country, and I always check for special offers when planning a visit to Boston. We are fans of historic hotels, and find the decor, location, and ambiance of the Parker House to be everything we are looking for. The staff is unfailingly gracious and helpful, and the hotel is conveniently located to dining, sightseeing, shopping and public transportation. It is the perfect base for a visit to Boston. As our daugher now attends college in Boston, we will be frequent visitors!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank PHW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

From start to finish my weekend was an awesome experience! It was a rainy weekend and the valet was right there as soon as we stepped out of the car. Danielle at the Front Desk could not of been more helpful. Our bellman, waiter, housekeeping, etc. were all wonderful. I would return in a heartbeat.

1 Thank 321darlenew