“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Shamong, New Jersey, United States
“Wonderful”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here with my sisters and mother. The rooms are small but that is the only thing that was not perfect about this place. The hotel is very elegant and sophisticated and so are the rooms. The location is great! A five minute walk to the park and right off Freedom trail. You can walk just about anywhere. We also got a terrific deal on our rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Our central location makes us a great place from which to explore Boston and its history. Thanks for pointing this out!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had 3 adults share a room with 2 doubles on the 10th floor June 2013. We drove down from Nove Scotia for game 4 of the Bruins/Pens series. This was my 4th trip to Boston in the last 2 years and the 4th different hotel. Previously we stayed in Coply Square and Cambridge East.

This was by far the best location and getting to the hotel during friday rush hour was fairly easy for us who live in a small city. The parking is expensive at about $40 a night which is more than the other hotels we stayed at but not by too much. The location here is excellent for anyone looking to do some sightseeing. Within 5 mins you can get to 2 t stations (Park and Gvnt center) Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, and others. The aquarium is about 10 mins away. The hotel is directly on the Freedom Trail which takes you too all the major historical sights of the city. The decor of the hotel and the staff were second to none. There is also ample history within the hotel. Their staff once included Malcolm X, JFK frequented the hotel and restaurant, and even Booth stayed here.

The beds weer extremely comfortable and although the rooms were small, it was not an issue for us with 3 adults. If you are there with a family and might be spending more time in the room it could be an issue. The bathroom was small but fine, except for the water pressure in the shower, both girls had a hard time with it (rinsing conditioner out). Our room on the 10th floor had a rather noisy air conditioner in the window with the glass removed around the unit. Therefore there was only glass along the top of the window. Neither girl could see out the window without standing on the bed. I had to struggle to see out and I am 6'2" so that was a huge disappointment.

The charge about $10 a dat for internet access unless you are a loyalty member. Becoming a loyalty member takes roughly 5 mins and is instant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your comments and mentioning the benefits of our loyalty program, Select Guest. Also, our overnight valet parking rate of $39.75 is the least expensive rate of any downtown Boston hotel. It's an expensive city in which to park and we do everything we can to keep this cost down for our guests.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Boston is an expensive city for hotel rooms. The Omni Parker House has an interesting idea about how to keep cost down by providing just what you need and no more. I use the room to sleep in, not host meetings, so all I really want is a comfortable bed, a bathroom and some storage space. Omni gives you this at a lower rate than other (larger) rooms and the website makes this clear.

The staff were very helpful and had a welcome back for my young niece (mistaken for a guest presume) when she came to see me with her mum. I had a breakfast meeting in the restaurant and there was no sense of anyone trying to encourage us to move on, even though we chatted for more than an hour.

It is located in the middle of the city, so convenient for all the usual attractions. I was awoken at 5.30am on the Sunday morning, but that was due to roadworks outside. You do hear noise from neighbouring rooms (e.g. tv) but I suppose that goes with staying in an older hotel.

Wifi was extra, which was annoying. Joining the hotel loyalty scheme resulted in it being free.

I would stay again, but if with my wife I would get a bigger room!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Many thanks for the positive assessment of your stay with us and we hope that you will return with your wife sometime soon!
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Omni Parker for four nights.

---THE GOOD---
The location is amazing. About a five minute walk to Boston Common and a 3 minute walk to The Old South Meeting House. It is also very close to the T stations at Boston Common and Government Center (where you can get a train to the airport station). The hotel is on the Freedom Trail and there are a number of food stores and cafes/restaurants in the area for your convenience.

The mattress and pillows are the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in a hotel. They have the perfect combination of firm support and softness. Just what you need after a long day.

The staff at check-in were friendly, welcoming and professional.

The room was nice and clean. The wifi worked and was quite fast for normal browsing. I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on that.

---THE BAD---
The room was noisy which affected my sleep. The major problem was the air con which was the loudest air con I've ever heard. The thing was like a jet engine and there was no way I could sleep with it on. Unfortunately, Boston was rather warm and humid so I bought ear plugs so I could leave it on. It is possible that my air con was faulty but I've never heard one so loud. I'm writing this review in a hotel in D.C. and the air con is on but it is almost silent. Another issue was noise from the hallway. Of course, I expect some noise to get into my room but for the rate I paid and the number of stars the property has, i would have expected better sound insulation. This issue was compounded by a woman who was banging and kicking the door directly across from mine at 1:30am while shouting at (I presume) her husband to open the door. Obviously, this isn't the hotel's fault but it did affect my overall experience.

In contrast to check in, the staff at check out were cold and mechanical. The person was completely disinterested and didn't even acknowledge my "goodbye" to her.

---OVERALL---
I'll be returning to Boston next June and I would like to stay at the Omni again but the insanely loud air con is pushing me away. As I said, that issue might just have been with my room and it might have been faulty but I am a light sleeper and I need a proper night's sleep. I can't risk another room with a loud air con affecting my sleep. It is a pity because it is a great hotel otherwise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
There was likely a problem with the a/c unit in this guest's particular room. These units are on a regular preventative maintenance program to catch such issues so this will be addressed as part of this process unless the guest can alert us to the room number, in which case we'll handle it immediately. For the next stay, please contact us in advance and we'll make sure the unit in your room is working perfectly. Many thanks!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Although this hotel is a bit pricey, this is our top choice when visiting Boston. They have a great happy hour that offers ample food, and they are literally just off the Freedom Trail and the T. We’ve never received rude service, and all of our requests have promptly been met. Because this is centrally located, there really is no need to rent a car, which can be an interesting experience in itself when driving in Boston :-) Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING a tourist could possibly want close-by is within walking distance; pubs, restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, a bike rental, museums, etc. etc. I’ve been staying at this hotel since my early 20s for business, and I continue to stay here (now in my 40s) for leisure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DivaNicole
Yes, our very central location is hard to beat and you really don't need a car at all when visiting downtown Boston. It's not called "the walking city" for nothing!
NY, NY
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Full disclosure--I was assigned this hotel by a company for which I was freelancing. It wasn't my choice. The hotel has an ornate lobby and is in an historic part of town. Probably good for tourists. The staff was helpful and check in simple. After that I'm not sure it was worth the $300 dollars. My room was very small, as in European hotel small, and looked over an air shaft. Again, I wasn't on vacation so I didn't care. I did care about the very expensive wifi charges. And because of the part of town where the hotel is located there aren't that many good late night dinner options so I ordered room service having arrived after 9pm. The food was fine but good luck filling your tummy for under $40-50 once all the charges were added. If this is your idea of a splurge then go for it. A lot of people seem to think so. I think it wasn't worth the price tag(s).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank FromNYto?
We appreciate the measured feedback and realize that we may not be for everyone, as this guest mentions in the review. As to the question of value, we recognize that Boston is expensive at this time of year and hope that this guest might try us again during a less-busy period when prices aren't as lower.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for Boston gay pride the nights of June 7-10 and although a clean and quiet hotel, we were given a really small room where you could barely walk around without bumping into something. The bathroom was even tinier and you had to close the door fully, before fitting in. There were two of us in the room so it made it difficult to use bathroom together. The staff was very friendly and location was excellent. Don't expect continental breakfast here. I don't think it exist in Boston with so many restaurants around. I would stay here again but only if I had the chance to select a bigger room.

Room Tip: Don't settle for double bed room especially if you're claustrophobic!!!