“Great Location. Noise is a problem”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at the Omni Parker for four nights.

---THE GOOD---
The location is amazing. About a five minute walk to Boston Common and a 3 minute walk to The Old South Meeting House. It is also very close to the T stations at Boston Common and Government Center (where you can get a train to the airport station). The hotel is on the Freedom Trail and there are a number of food stores and cafes/restaurants in the area for your convenience.

The mattress and pillows are the most comfortable I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in a hotel. They have the perfect combination of firm support and softness. Just what you need after a long day.

The staff at check-in were friendly, welcoming and professional.

The room was nice and clean. The wifi worked and was quite fast for normal browsing. I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on that.

---THE BAD---
The room was noisy which affected my sleep. The major problem was the air con which was the loudest air con I've ever heard. The thing was like a jet engine and there was no way I could sleep with it on. Unfortunately, Boston was rather warm and humid so I bought ear plugs so I could leave it on. It is possible that my air con was faulty but I've never heard one so loud. I'm writing this review in a hotel in D.C. and the air con is on but it is almost silent. Another issue was noise from the hallway. Of course, I expect some noise to get into my room but for the rate I paid and the number of stars the property has, i would have expected better sound insulation. This issue was compounded by a woman who was banging and kicking the door directly across from mine at 1:30am while shouting at (I presume) her husband to open the door. Obviously, this isn't the hotel's fault but it did affect my overall experience.

In contrast to check in, the staff at check out were cold and mechanical. The person was completely disinterested and didn't even acknowledge my "goodbye" to her.

---OVERALL---
I'll be returning to Boston next June and I would like to stay at the Omni again but the insanely loud air con is pushing me away. As I said, that issue might just have been with my room and it might have been faulty but I am a light sleeper and I need a proper night's sleep. I can't risk another room with a loud air con affecting my sleep. It is a pity because it is a great hotel otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

There was likely a problem with the a/c unit in this guest's particular room. These units are on a regular preventative maintenance program to catch such issues so this will be addressed as part of this process unless the guest can alert us to the room number, in which case we'll handle it immediately. For the next stay, please contact us in advance and we'll make sure the unit in your room is working perfectly. Many thanks!

Write a ReviewReviews (8,032)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Although this hotel is a bit pricey, this is our top choice when visiting Boston. They have a great happy hour that offers ample food, and they are literally just off the Freedom Trail and the T. We’ve never received rude service, and all of our requests have promptly been met. Because this is centrally located, there really is no need to rent a car, which can be an interesting experience in itself when driving in Boston :-) Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING a tourist could possibly want close-by is within walking distance; pubs, restaurants, shopping, tourist attractions, a bike rental, museums, etc. etc. I’ve been staying at this hotel since my early 20s for business, and I continue to stay here (now in my 40s) for leisure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DivaNicole

Yes, our very central location is hard to beat and you really don't need a car at all when visiting downtown Boston. It's not called "the walking city" for nothing!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Full disclosure--I was assigned this hotel by a company for which I was freelancing. It wasn't my choice. The hotel has an ornate lobby and is in an historic part of town. Probably good for tourists. The staff was helpful and check in simple. After that I'm not sure it was worth the $300 dollars. My room was very small, as in European hotel small, and looked over an air shaft. Again, I wasn't on vacation so I didn't care. I did care about the very expensive wifi charges. And because of the part of town where the hotel is located there aren't that many good late night dinner options so I ordered room service having arrived after 9pm. The food was fine but good luck filling your tummy for under $40-50 once all the charges were added. If this is your idea of a splurge then go for it. A lot of people seem to think so. I think it wasn't worth the price tag(s).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Thank FromNYto?

We appreciate the measured feedback and realize that we may not be for everyone, as this guest mentions in the review. As to the question of value, we recognize that Boston is expensive at this time of year and hope that this guest might try us again during a less-busy period when prices aren't as lower.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for Boston gay pride the nights of June 7-10 and although a clean and quiet hotel, we were given a really small room where you could barely walk around without bumping into something. The bathroom was even tinier and you had to close the door fully, before fitting in. There were two of us in the room so it made it difficult to use bathroom together. The staff was very friendly and location was excellent. Don't expect continental breakfast here. I don't think it exist in Boston with so many restaurants around. I would stay here again but only if I had the chance to select a bigger room.

Room Tip: Don't settle for double bed room especially if you're claustrophobic!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for your response and as we're not sure how you booked your room, we suggest contacting us directly on your next visit to ensure that you receive a larger accommodation.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Omni Parker House for 2 nights in June. The rooms are small, but we knew that going in- however they are sparkling clean and are really all you need since we barely spent time in the hotel anyway. The staff was excellent and provided top notch service the entire time. I was nervous about the valet service also but they were timely and everything went smoothly. We would definitely stay here again, especially since it is so central to so many great attractions in Boston.

• Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I'm happy we had an opportunity to stay at this historic hotel. But I gave this hotel a very good, and could not give an excellent for some of the reasons that follow. Because our travel plans were made so close to our stay, I think that's why we ended up paying way too much...will have to budget more closely next time...so that's our fault. Our dinner was pricey as well, which we expected, but the food was bland and unexceptional. Do not make the mistake of ordering key lime pie for dessert...it did not resemble key lime pie in the least. We should have ordered the Boston Cream Pie which is the specialty... But it was late in the evening, and neither my husband nor I wanted to eat a heavy dessert. However, the famous Parker House Rolls were wonderful. So is the history attached to this hotel. Be sure to find your way to the lower level to read about the history of the hotel and some of the famous people who worked there...I won't spoil the fun of discovery. The history of the Parker House is part of Boston and the Kennedy family...and that too, made the stay unique to see the lobby and the dining areas etc. Our room was on the 14th floor, corner...bathroom was very small as noted by others, but was very clean as was the room and the bedding was comfortable; the room was quiet. The location of this hotel is probably the best thing about it. We walked to everything! and the Subway, is very accessible. There is a great little pub nearby, Beantown Pub, where we had a wonderful lobster roll sandwich. That made our day...inexpensive and memorable...this was our first time to visit Boston. And truth be told, we weren't going to let an overpriced room get in the way of a good time...it's just money, after all...and besides, the Boston Red Sox won the game we went to at Fenway...a dream my husband has had since he was a child..to see Fenway and the Green Monster. One more word of caution...our trip was in the first week of June...and apparently, every elementary and middle school plans their field trips that week. The city was "crawling with fifth graders" according to our trolley driver as we drove around Boston. But since we weren't driving, it didn't really bother us...all in all, this is a grand old hotel full of history...and if you plan ahead, you should have a great stay there.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and expensive.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

We appreciated receiving your feedback and certainly pass along your comment about the key lime pie to our chef. As to pricing, this is very busy time of year (you noticed!) here in Boston and this comes with higher prices throughout the city. Please try us again during slower periods!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is my fourth review of the Omni, we come out once a year and we really enjoy the hotel. I would encourage you to join their loyalty program, it is free and you get free Internet and morning beverage service.

One of the biggest changes I have noticed in the years that we been coming to the Omni Parker House is how the area around the hotel has really become busy with bars and restaurants.

Its not cheap, but its worth it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TPXB
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

We're pleased that we appear to be your "home" here in Boston and thanks for pointing out that our neighborhood has many new restaurants and other attractions.