“Historic beautiful hotel, charming staff, great Boston Cream Pie ! Needs to look at internet policy and business center”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #50 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We spent an enjoyable weekend at this hotel.

What we liked:
- the Boston Cream pie didn't disappoint :-)
- beautiful lobby, restaurant and Parker bar - the chandeliers are definitely something you don't see anymore
- really fast check-in - I felt like they pretty much everything ready for me and packaged and included some tourist info
- extremely friendly staff - I didn't even need to wait for the person at the counter - the other staff helped answer my questions and gave suggestions.
- great customer service in the restaurant and bar
- took the buffet breakfast - while this is normal "hotel" prices - I found the quality was very good and you got a lot to eat !
- the room was "condo" size, but very clean and nicely decorated. Luckily, we only brought carry on luggage
- bath robes, shower cap, well stocked toiletries, good sized towels
- actual wood hangers
- morning tea delivered for people who join their loyalty program & welcome letter
- amazing location for what I wanted to do ... freedom trail tours & historic area
- close to at least three subway stations ... Park seems to be the most convenient and easy to hop on and go down to Newbury ... shopping area
- truly a comfortable experience
- obviously a place local Boston people go for a nice night out
- despite a wedding, graduation, conference and other activities - the staff did not seem overwhelm and our overall experience didn't change.
- the fact the loyalty program matched my room preferences - I requested a quiet room

What we didn't like:
- There wasn't a free outlet at the desk to plug in a laptop. I had to unplug something else
- You need to join the loyalty program to get free internet in your room - almost a standard in other hotels. The internet is only 3MB - so it is only good for email and surfing the web. If you have to sign into a work application - you may find given the bandwidth needs ... this doesn't work. Meanwhile, the lobby seems to have unlimited internet, no privacy and may be cold. I think this internet policy needs to be reviewed - to me paying customers are more important than people in a lobby and sometimes you don't have any choice but catching up on work at night. This is the only thing that would make it unfeasible for me to come back to this hotel.
- The business center is close to what is supposed to be a gift shop. However, this whole area reminds me of a bus station and is completely out of character with the rest of the hotel. The business center is a closet with two computer terminals. I didn't check into the pricing, but I think you have to pay $20 to use the computers. Most people will walk with a cell or laptop, but may want to print out their boarding pass. What should have taken 5 - 10 mins, took about 30 mins due to unclear directions and the fact my airline wasn't on the list. I called the phone number next to the desk and they confirmed printing a boarding pass was free but didn't tell me I had to click an actual button called 'boarding pass'. I asked the person in the gift shop and she told me a bit more information. The button is one of 10 - 12 small grey buttons on the screen and the last one. I think this button needs to be another colour to make it more obvious or proper instructions need to be printed. When, I finally got around to getting to the right screen - I couldn't find Porter airlines. I went to the concierge desk - who wanted to know if this airline gave me problems in the past? The problem isn't the airline - the problem is a system that is set-up in a restrictive way. He put his computer on the desk - so I could see the reservation and then printed the tickets. In other hotels with a business center, first of all - the door would be locked and only accessible by guests. The computers would be free and you could print without having to call anyone. This business center does not fit with the image of the Omni Parker and I really hope some work is done to improve it.

Room Tip: Higher floor are better to avoid noise from the street
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MTLtravelfun
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your comprehensive remarks about our hotel. The business center is operated by the company that runs the gift shop. We will share your review and then work with them to improve things as soon as possible!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights before catching a 14 day cruise. The hotel and Boston itself were highlights of our entire vacation. YES the rooms are not gigantic. But they are elegant, clean, and well cared for. That is just about all I could hope for. Before arriving, I contacted Kate Casey, the hotel's loyalty ambassador, and she not only provided us with the room amenities that we requested (allergies) but one with a lovely view....thank you. The location is truly perfect. We walked everywhere. The tulips were in bloom. Boston was so, so warm and lovely. Cannot imagine any reason not to go back. And the Omni will be our only choice.

2  Thank bigcanoe2
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Many thanks and we'll be sure to pass along your kind remarks about our loyalty ambassador to her!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in this grand hotel last week for 2 nights. We stayed in another hotel for 2 nights when we first arrived in Boston, then we drove to New Hampshire so we decided to try out a different hotel.
First impressions were excellent. Bellhop took our luggage and was friendly and professional.

Location: Near the main city centre. About 10min walk from Quincy Market and the Harbour. about 10mins from Boston Common.

Check in: was fast. However they neglect to advise you until you check in that $50 per night is held on your card for 'incidental damages' this should be made clearer. They also 'hold' the whole amount when you check in, which i have never heard of before. You pay on check out i thought!
The lobby was amazing very 'English'. Vast, and english type decor and grand and generally lovely, but very busy. There is an expensive shop next door, and its opposite the kings cemetary.

Rooms: We were upgraded to floor 10. We stayed in room 1010. The room was nicely decorated, but absolutely no room to move around the beds. There were 2 beds in the rooms both doubles and the space could have been used better by having 1 king bed. You could not move around the bed.... the bathroom was tiny... I have a bigger bathroom at home! There was no where to put toothbrush apart from on this shelf they have installed. I appreciate its an old hotel, however coming from 1 of the oldest countries, this is not an excuse! Simply using the space better would be an option. It was so ridiculous considering the previous 2 hotels were huge in comparision. I wouldnt stay here again based upon this. And we were in an upgraded room!

Bed: Super comfortable, although very small doubles. I wander how a couple would sleep comfortably in these beds... and anyone who was larger than me.. I am a size 10 and 5foot! The bed is so high up I had to climb onto it! Again anyone with issues might struggle! However the bed was comfortable and pillows comfortable. However I slept separately from my husband because the beds were so small and soft so it made sleeping impossible, glad we had the upgrade as our friends had these beds!

Cleanliness: was very clean, cannot fault them for this.

Checkout: easy and painless, no queue, stored our luggage with no problems... easy. as that. Great time had, but not sure would stay in a room here again, as our previous hotel was next door and bigger rooms and just as comfortable .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank caroline1054

We were likely sold out when you stayed with us and were unable to provide a room with a king bed. Our double-bedded rooms feature two standard full-size beds which, while not to your liking, are generally well-received. Thanks for your feedback and please request a king-bedded room should you elect to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and i have just spent a week at this beautiful hotel and it was great . I made the mistake of not listening to other reviews about the room sizes , when we arrived our room was small !!! I contacted reception who were brilliant { justin } he did everything he could to move us and yes we did pay a substantual supliment but we moved to an executive suite which was enormous , and well worth every penny it was luxury .The staff at the hotel wre faultless ,as i said the smile at reception from a lovely young man , the maid was so polite and did a good job , and John g who delivered room service was a gem , he told us loads about Boston where to go and where to avoid , what a lovely man . The hotel is in a great location , 2 minutes to Boston common , 10 minutes to the theatre district , 15 minute stroll to the harbour and in the middle of all the shops and eating places . Parkers restuarant in the hotel was excellent , food was great and very inexpensive for this type of place , about half of what you would pay in New York . Room service was really good , food piping hot and the same standard as Parkers , roughly the same price as UK . In conclusion i highly recommend this hotel if you want tradition and friendliness , push the boat out and have a suite , its worth it . We will definately go back , it was great .

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite , rooms are small .
3  Thank Rhona B
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you so much for your generous review and we're pleased that your week in Boston was a pleasant one! We'll make sure your review is read by our staff, especially those you mentioned individually. Hope you return soon!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed at the Omni Parker House for five nights in May, and it had to be said that this is the best hotel that I have stayed in. The staff here are fantastic and the service is outstanding. Our room was a nice size, clean and had the most comfortable king sized bed. On arrival we signed up to the Omni loyalty programme, with this came a free drink and news paper in the morning which was always brought to the room on time.
The location of this hotel is brilliant, you are within walking distance of all the major sights and the freedom trail passes right passed the hotel door. Your only a short walk from Boston Common, Fennuil Hall and Quincy Market and there is a T stop just a block away. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

2  Thank LovebugUK
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Many, many thanks for your positive review of our hotel!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

A great hotel that is pricy but worth it. The location is great and the hotel is very clean. The service is almost overboard at times but nice. Definitely would stay again and visit other omni hotels in te future.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Kgreenhall

We greatly appreciate your kind remarks and hope to have you return soon!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The WORST. We could not have been more disappointed. We spent 367$ for what we were told was a 2 person room, but it was indecent- the room was tiny (a half room really) and was a single person bed (no 2 night stands). Internet doesn't even come included. The sheets were stained. The night manager (joel) told us he could give us a discount. But an indecent sleep and lost time still isn't worth around 200$. should have stayed at a cheap motel instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Travellover455
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Given the very positive reviews that surround this one, it's apparent that something went quite wrong for this guest. We will attempt to determine who it was and be in touch with them and also invite them to contact us so that we can make things right for them as soon as possible!