“Boston Stay”

Omni Parker House
Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Booked two rooms at the Omni-one with two double beds and a king suite. The room with two double beds was extremely small. Hard to manuever with suitcases and two people. The king suite was great! Very roomy. The bathrooms in both rooms were only big enough for one person at a time. The view from the king suite looked right into someone's office. We could see them at work. Don't know if they could see in our room as easily. We were on the 4th floor. The bellmen and concierge were very helpful and friendly. Overall I found this to be a great experience.

Room Tip: Get a suite if possible. Other rooms extremely small.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank garland6105
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments and please contact us directly for your next stay and will do our best to improve your views!

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I booked a night in this hotel with my boyfriend through Priceline. My experience was very similar to the reviewer below.

The room was tiny and only had a double bed, and the window looked into a pretty gross alley. I've used Priceline a bunch of times in the past and have always gotten a queen or king-sized bed when booking for two people, since two normal-sized adults usually have a tough time stuffing themselves into a double bed. We requested a bigger bed and were told we'd have to pay another $50, on top of the $120 we'd already paid for the room. Because I'd booked on Priceline, I was locked in and couldn't cancel and go somewhere else. It seems misleading to lock customers into a stay with a bed that's not normally offered to two guests, and this is the only Priceline hotel I've stayed in where this has been a problem. Obviously the location is great, but getting stuck in a closet with a tiny bed to sleep in sort of ruins the fun of a trip.

Maybe this would be a good place to stay if you're only one person (unless they decide to stick you in a twin bed?), but if you're a couple, it's not the best choice. I've stayed in the Courtyard in Coolidge Corner for about half the cost of this place, and it was nicer, bigger, friendlier staff, free WiFi (The Omni Parker charges $15 a night), bigger bed, and 15 minutes from the heart of Boston. Won't be making this mistake again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vanessa V
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

In our opinion, Priceline guests receive great value for an historic hotel in a wonderful location. Yes, some of our guestrooms are smaller compared to more modern hotels and the very favorable rates offered via Priceline take this into account.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I will start off my saying the bell men were fabulous! My experience went down hill fast from there.
In my 9 years of above traveling, I have purchased my hotels by naming my own price on priceline 50 times or more. This is the 1st hotel, i was made to feel like i got the runt of the hotel because of my "bargain they chose to give me." I understand that you are not guaranteed the best room with priceline, but the front desk receptionist doesn't have be little you, as the lady helping me did.
This Traditional room could not have been more than 200sq ft if that. The double bed(small for 2 people but okay) takes up 80% of the room. The bathroom was so small, no counter space! all you will have is some small shelves above the toilet! I don't think much as been up dated since the 50's and thats being generousI could go on and on... Other than the bellman i can only say 1 other good thing, nice location.
bottom line- DON'T STAY IN A TRADITIONAL(OLD!!) ROOM. Can't comment on any other room because they wanted me to pay another $100 a night for a larger room.
I will not be back and will think twice about naming my price in this area of Boston again, in fear i may get this hotel!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else if you book on priceline!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank silverstreak32
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

We regret that this guest didn't enjoy their stay with us and hope that they may be willing to give us another try on a future trip to Boston.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in Boston on business for two days. I was late for meeting and I needed to check in fast and get my suitcase to my room. As I arrived the doormen were a bit aggressive. Instead of asking to take my bag, they just took them. Check in was seamless and fast, except for getting my bag back from the bellhop. The room was dark, single window facing another window and a bit depressing. However, I accept the fact that the hotel is quite old (ie historic). The stocked fridge was welcome. The bathroom was adequate and clean. Water pressure was very strong and very hot. Plugging in both laptop and cell phone was challenging because I could only find one working electrical outlet. I used room service and food was brought up fast and it was good. Very welcome, since I was exhausted and hungry. Bed/mattress was uncomfortable, especially comparing it to the competitor business class hotels. I had backaches in the morning.
Upon departure I had a negative experience with the doorman. I asked for a taxi to Logan airport and he was tried to convince me to take a private car, insisting that it would be the same price. This was not true as a city cab was $10 less. I don't like to be a victim of a scam.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not on that alley; get on facing the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MrB003

Thanks for letting us know about your experiences with our doormen which we will investigate. This is very unusual and we will advise them of your comments. We were also surprised to read your comment about the bedding as it typically gets rave reviews. It would be great if you could let us know in which room you stayed so we can replace the mattress if necessary.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed there the Wednesday through Friday following the marathon incident. There were a lot of people trying to leave on Friday and despite a citywide shortage of cabs, the doormen were able to find me a driver and negotiated a very fair price to the airport on my behalf. My comments do no justice to the folks working there that day. There were a lot of panicked travelers and the staff was handling things well.

Now about the hotel itself… The staff is superb. It is an old hotel so expect the rooms to be smaller than a newer hotel. However, the rooms are well appointed and immaculately clean. The location is about as good as it gets. You don’t stay at the Omni Parker House because you want a free waffle in the morning. You stay there because you want to experience old Boston. You have no issue with dropping a bunch of cash on fine dining. You like to have a person open the door for you and say “Welcome Back!” You’ll have to pay for these extras, but sometimes it’s just worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Yeti249

It was a pleasure to read that you felt comfortable staying with us in the aftermath of the Marathon event and want to thank you for acknowledging our staff, location and the historic aspects of our hotel. We hope to host you again!

Reviewed May 8, 2013

So I arrived here at the hotel after a long day of traveling. I arrive after midnight. I was trying to manage my bags and not one person came to help me with the door (large bag + small door = tough to manage). Then I had to carry the bag up the steps by myself while one staff member actually just stood there and watched me.

I checked in and heard that I had booked an economy room (which is true, via Hotwire) but I was expecting an upgrade as I am part of the Select Guest program and that is one of the perks. Nope. My reservation wasn't linked to the rewards program. The woman at the front desk told me she would upgrade my anyway (this is while she's helping me and another person at the same time and I patiently wait), but apparently while the system showed there was a deluxe room available this was not the case. She apologized and said she would set me up in a room a size larger than that to make it right. Here I am thinking what great customer service this was. So I get up to my room. Instead of the two queen beds it's the full size and instead of the deluxe I am in the economy room.

Listen - don't tell me you're going to make it right and then lie to me. If the hotel is booked then it's booked, but offer to move me tomorrow night. Don't blow smoke at me, tell me you're upgrading me, and then send me to a shoebox. OH - and there is nothing charming about the room. The bed is uncomfortable - like, I've been up for 24+ hours and I don't think I'll be able to sleep because it's so uncomfortable-type uncomfortable and there is visible damage to the walls. Not exactly a luxury hotel. Right now, I'm just excited that the alley that my window faces doesn't have a dead body in it.

I'd leave right now and go to a hotel that honors its rewards program offers but I've already paid in full - and changed into my pajamas.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Carolyn S
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We will reach our to this guest immediately to see if we can move them to a different room. Our Select Guest program provides for upgrades WHEN AVAILABLE and we are sold out at this time. We strongly urge Select Guest members to book directly with the hotel as this provides us more notice of their impending arrival and affords them the best chance of receiving complimentary upgrades.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Well we lucked out. As I was about to book a hotel further out of the city cause hotels in Boston are way overpriced, I got a great deal on priceline last minute. The hotel is very nice, clean, great location with subway stops nearby and freedom trail right outside the doors. If you are wanting a nice view you probably won't get one and if you get a standard room expect it to be pretty small. But if I am lucky to get a great rate again I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: May 2013

The historic nature of our hotel means that some rooms are on the small side, especially when guests are looking for the best value and don't contact us directly with requests.