“Wonderful Hotel, Full of History:-)”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Wonderful Hotel, Full of History:-)”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband stayed at the Omni for nearly a month for work and I joined him towards the end of his stay. The Omni Parker is a beautiful hotel and is full of history. The Last Hurrah is fantastic and the room service from the restaurant was also excellent. My only gripe would be the rooms are incredibly small, lucky the location makes up for the room size and the bed was super comfy, I do think the housekeeping services could be better however I have had worse. Overall the stay lovely, the staff were incredible and I would stay at the Omni Parker again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank jfreeman_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great location! The rooms were quite small but worked. The restaurant (Parker's) had amazing food. They had no problem with me checking in early and checking out late. Despite a lot being closed due to the blizzard it seemed like there were many restaurants within walking distance. I would definitely stay again.

1 Thank Bellwmu
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Decent and historical hotel in a good location.
We stayed here one night while going to a concert. Got a great last minute deal online through a consolidator site.
Interior was very historic and pleasant. Rooms were clean, modern and comfortable. Check in and out were swift and easy.
Location is very good, being that its right on the freedom trail, close to the common, china town and easy access to the T.
Would go back if the deal was good. An all round good option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kristiansand, Norway
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Location is very nice and the friendly staff does whathever they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible.

However I experienced the smallest rooms ever, in any hotel in the US. Small even compared to European standard!

The other issue is valet parking at USD. 40,- pr. night at at least 20 min. to get the car!

Room Tip: Check with reservations what type of rooms and most importantly size.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
It's a fact that our historic building has rooms that are smaller than modern hotels but we believe that our great location and friendly, experienced staff give our guests an authentic Boston experience. As to the parking fee, it is the second-lowest valet fee in downtown Boston and we always advise guests to allow 20-30 minutes for car retrieval as we must with the narrow streets and traffic common to our location.
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I grew up in Boston, and policed the downtown area for eight years back in the eighties. Somehow, I never set foot on the Parker House.

I arrived on the day of the blizzard 2013. It really hadn't started yet. I arrived at 1:00 pm, I valet parked the car, was taken to a Bellman, and checked in all in about three minutes. Very efficient. Very hospitable, very beautiful Hotel. I got an executive suite which is a good sized room. There is a couch, two chairs, a desk, a dressing/makeup area, two closets and a decent sized bathroom. The bed and the linens were perfect. The most comfortable bed that I have slept in in a Hotel in a long time. There were robes to wear, which is so cool. I think I paid around $240.00 a night, but can't remember as I booked way a head of time, and prepaid through Expedia. The parking is $39.00 per night, in a garage.

It is right at the top of Tremont Street at School street. The neighborhood is rich in history and very interesting for the Boston novice. The state house is right up the street. The Boston Common is right across the street on Tremont, the old State House is across the Street on School Street (which is now a steak house), Ben Franklin's statue is right down the street. Very close to the Downtown Crossing shopping and pretty near to Copley Square either by walking or a short T ride.

Everyone was super nice. From the security, to the doormen, to the Bell man to the front desk to the housekeeping, well you get the point.

We had to eat lunch and dinner in the restaurant in the Hotel due to the blizzard. Worse things could happen to a person. The food and the service were fantastic. Gotta have the Boston Cream pie. It may have been invented there and it's like no other Boston Cream pie on earth.

We also ate in the bar after a long day of walking in the snow, which was quite beautiful. The service was sluggish there, but they may have been the result of the blizzard and staffing. We realized that our waiter from the restaurant, was also the bar manager who probably hadn't been home in three days.

There is wi-fi available. there is a charge for use in the room, but if you sign up as a select guest in the Omni program, it's free. There is no fee to sign up, so just do it.

The Princess was happy as was I. I loved every minute of this trip.

Room Tip: The higher the better the view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We're very pleased that we helped to make your "snowstorm" experience a good one! Thanks for the favorable comments and we hope to see you back during warmer times!
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend with my friend. We had an almost perfect experience. The place was very clean, the rooms were just big enough, and the location is perfect. It's literally within minutes of everything from the T, the freedom trails, movie theater, the aquarium, Faneuil hall, plenty of restaurants, and bars! There was a slight issue when we tried to get dinner at the hotel bar and the bartender wouldn't cater to my friends dairy allergy. However, we complained and the rest of the staff went above and beyond to make things better, and even comped our meal. The chef also came out personally to make sure he got my friend's allergies right, and a second time to make sure the meal was good (Which by the way, it might be expensive, but it is worth it by far!). And I should mention the rest of the staff of the hotel was some of the nicest service I have ever seen/dealt with. Again, the rooms are nice, the cable choices are good, the only downfall is the walls are thin because the hotel is older. I would not come here if you think you might make too much noise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and we are pleased to see that our team rebounded to make your experience a pleasant one! Your comments will be shared with our staff and we hope to host you again in the future!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have seen hundreds of hotels and dined in restaurants in 26 different countries and never have I felt more snubbed as I did the weekend we dined there. Upon pulling up to the hotel, valet parking was our only option so I inquired about the process. The man told me it was a $28 fee to dine at the restaurant and valet park the car but that the front desk would validate our ticket in order to save $10.00 so we accepted. Upon checking in at the booth for our table, the man and woman were unable to find the reservation our friend made in her name. They tried her name, tried our name, and could find nothing in the computer. We were being turned away so I called my friend on her cell phone to find out she was already seated inside. She came to retrieve us and reminded the man and woman at the booth that another couple would be joining them and they were reassured we would be taken care of. In five minutes, the pair at the booth forgot about our arrival and told me that it was because my friend was already seated her reservation was no longer in the computer. I find it hard to believe this was the first time that this has ever happened.

The meal was delicious. Very expensive food, our coupon deal was $35 for $78 worth of food. Four four of us to eat lunch the base price was $124 plus a generous tip we left the waiter. We left our table only after the man and woman at the host stand kept pacing around our table, the man even looking at his watch repeatedly while looking at us throwing us the very obvious hint our time was up. Besides us, there were only two other parties in the restaurant. I know we were not taking anyone's tables.

We waited in the bar area for a cocktail for roughly 9-10 minutes before being acknowledged. By then, our other party wanted to head home so we left.

We attempted to get our ticket validated for the car but the front desk told us they do not validate tickets and never have. The man who gave us that information was retrieved and we request he come with us to the front desk to square away the $28 parking fee for one hour. After five miserable minutes of 'back and forth' the woman took out a stamp and stamped our ticket. After we brought the ticket to the valet, they would not accept it and attempted again to charge us $28 for parking. This process was beginning to get really old. It took us 29 minutes to get our car delivered from valet. People were impatiently pacing the lobby also waiting up to a half hour for their vehicles as well. Again, I find this hard to believe this was the hotel's first time dealing with picking up people's cars.

I wrote the hotel chain, Omni, a letter about our experience on Feb. 4th, a week later, no response. For the kind of money people spend to dine in a historic hotel such as this, noone should be made to feel like they were making a mistake or treated like a peasant. I will not return.

2 Thank Shannon S
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Please accept our apologies for the many difficulties you encountered during your recent visit. We've shared your comments with the departments involved and reiterated our processes that, had they been followed, would have left you with a much more typical and positive experience of our hotel. Also, we did receive your initial correspondence but were delayed in responding because our team was focused on dealing with the impact of a major snowstorm. Again, we do apologize and hope that you will feel comfortable enough to give us another try in the future.