“Unique Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Unique Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a very old hotel with lots of history. It's one of the oldest hotels in New England. The location is great. It's been renovated of course but the original feel was retained. So it's really quite cool as you feel as if you've stepped back in time. As an older hotel, it was a bit more noisy that the usual upscale hotel. And the rooms are smaller. But this is worth your stay due to the unique nature of the hotel. Beds are new and comfortable. TV's are large. Internet speed was lightning-fast. Food and bar was top-notch. The only reason I give it 4-stars and not 5 was due to the noise. But honestly, this place is one of the most unique hotels I've stayed at in a while.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

The Omni Parker House is an awesome hotel to stay at. The grandure as you walk into the lobby is breathtaking. We stayed in the King Suite and it was lovely. Rooms are a littel small compared to some places, but the decor and the comfy beds make up for this. The room is more than adequete. Room service is expensive. Make sure you go online and register to become a preferred guest for free as this entitles you to free orange juice and coffee with paper each morning and free internet. There is a lot of history in this grand hotel. Nestled in the heart of downtown Boston, the Omni Parker House is located along the Freedom Trail and at the foot of Beacon Hill, Boston Common, Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall marketplace. Only a short walk to Boston Harbor. The Omni Parker House is just 2.3 miles from Logan International Airport (10 minutes). This is home to the boston cream pies which the then named hotel Parker House created. This hotel was first opened in 1855 under the name of Parker House. JFK proposed to Jackie Kennedy in the at Parker's Restaurant (at table 40). Only a short walk away are some great shopping including the famous Macy's, Across the road is the old school house which is now a great Steakhouse and one block away is the famous The Oceanaire seafood restaurant. They had great set prices meal for only $59. Trains are only one block away. the Boston common is a short walk away and the original "Cheers" bar from the tv show "Cheers" is about a 15 min walk on Boston Street. The hop on hop off bus goes past this hotel on their route. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The entry foyer is stunning, lots of history and the decor is amazing, reflects the history of the building. Unfortunately this is where my ''wow'' left the building.

Room: King bed - bed not properly made, small room. Then i tred to find a powerpoint for the laptop and mobile phone. This should not take me 20 minutes. Light globes not working and door jammed upon entry. The room is tiny, but reflect the age of the building so you cannot complain about that really. Noise form adjoining rooms is excessive and next doors alram clock and wake up call did the trick for me at 5:50am - Thanks.

Breakfast - poor service, food very ordinary and coffee, well unless you like filtered syrup, dont try ordering a latte. Mine came, it was burnt, and looked like a filtered coffee with a splash of milk and froth thrown over it to disguise the absolute waste of coffe beans. For a price of $5.50, this is a joke. When I said something i was made to feel like an idiot. Food is basically overprice commoners food. Poached eggs overdone, just the small things are not addressed.

Cleaning - I returned from a busines smeeting to find my room door open (2 inches). First thing is that your fear the worst, so i fortunately had all items in the safe and nothing in my room was taken. The cleaners did not replace mini bar items, clean coffee cups, and left a cleaning bucket in the room. I rang the hotel manager who apologised. The minimum I would have expected from this point forward was to have the room cleaned properly (finalised) and replenishment of the mini bar, but this did not occur. I had maintenance check the door, and take the cleaning bucket out of my room.

A bit of a let down after talking to him about it.

So the comination of these items small items brought the review down. All of what happened is something i am paying for and is not attentive enough for prices offered. I come to Boston often and have stayed at a number of hotels, but this is not one I would consider returning to given the prices offered and options aailable in other hotels. Shame really, as it is anice hotel when you look at it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
omniparker, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
We are very sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay. Clearly this is not the typical guest experience and we are addressing the issues with our staff. The security of our guests is a constant focus for us and it is disappointing to hear of our lapse in this instance. We hope you give us another chance in the future and an opportunity to win back your loyalty.
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

From the moment we arrived and all 4 days of our stay the service was amazing. From the bellman to the front desk staff, the concierge, and the housekeeping staff were excellent. Top notch. We have 2 small kids do we got an executive room with a king bed and a pullout couch. The room was clean and very spacious. We had free wifi and free coffee and juice delivered daily as well, just because we signed up for the loyalty rewards. The location couldn't be better, center of all the action! Everything was great.
Not sure what to make of this but it was quite an experience. Our first night I woke up at 2 am because the bed was vibrating. It stopped after a few seconds but have no idea what caused it. I was told the subway under the hotel was under construction but I don't know why that would shake only the bed. After reading some haunting stories about the hotel it just made me wonder. Our room was 242. That was the only incident. Had a great time.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank readDanielAnthony
Woodstown, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for a night here when we saw a concert in town. The room was nice enough though it didn't seem much larger than a phone booth. I have stayed in numerous European countries where rooms are notoriously small and they were palatial in comparison. Aside from the size the room was quite nice and the bed comfortable. I joined the "preferred guest" program when checking in and the complimentary morning coffee was delivered promptly at the requested time. Valet parking produced my car promptly on checkout. As mentioned we saw a concert at the TD Banknorth Garden which was a 10-15 minute walk away. Very convenient.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Loved the location of this hotel...right on the Freedom Trail. Close to the Commons and other places of interest in Boston.

The hotel is beautiful and in great condition. We were on the 11th floor and found the room to be quiet and very nice. Typical of older hotels, the bathroom was quite small, and there were very few outlets to plug in charges, laptop, etc.

AC worked well and the shower was plenty warm with good water pressure. Enjoyed having a bathrobe.

Small issues with service. As a member of the Omni frequent guest program, I did not get several of the things listed as my preference, such as a morning WSJ (Wall Street Journal). Interestingly enough, at check-in, the information provided summarized my preferences, but yet they were not honored. Also, did not get my complimentary beverage in the morning (when we advised the front desk, they did send up). Also, we checked in online (with the promise of no check-in at the hotel), but we still had to stop and provide a credit card (which they already had).

So not big things, but if the Omni is trying to differentiate themselves by having these extra services, they should be sure to honor them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

During a recent business meeting I had the opportunity to return to the Omni Parker House. While I had fond memories of visits to the hotel years ago, it was dreadful during my most recent visit. The guest room was one of the smallest I've seen in modern times; the walk in closet was nearly the same square footage as the guestroom. The room had one small window looking out over a light well, a very small desk and one chair (desk.) Twice I asked for a room change to no avail. There was only one electrical plug on the desk so I had to go to a nearby convenience store to purchase a multi-plug unit for my laptop and phone. The bathroom was tiny and the water pressure left a lot to be desired. All in all, even if they'd charged $50 a night (which they didn't) it wouldn't have been worth the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
omniparker, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We regret that this guest’s recent experience of our hotel did not meet expectations derived from previous stays. Without knowing the precise details of his/her reservation, we can only surmise that the room assignment was determined either by contractual arrangements or by what we had available at the time of booking. Lately, we have experienced many sold-out nights making it very difficult to move guests into different rooms. We apologize for the situation and hope that this guest will be open to staying with us again in the future.