“Neat Old Hotel, Not Such a Great Value”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #49 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Welcome to the oldest continuously operating hotel in America. That's how you're greeted and the staff always struck me as helpful, courteous, and professional, from the bellmen to the front desk to the bar. The Parker House is in a great location. It's been updated over the years, well appointed, and it was very clean. But... here's the tough part. Sometimes, you simply have to mostly gut an older property in order to make the rooms roomy(!) and relatively quiet. I remember when this was done with the Olympic Hotel in Seattle. It's still an incredibly classy, charming hotel; it just works today. But, that takes a major league investment. My firm paid nearly four bucks for my night at the OPH. I got upgraded because I'm an Omni preferred guest. Still, the room was quite small, I could easily hear the people in the next room and the bathroom was very small, much more like the older hotels in Europe. There was no place to put my shaving kit in the bathroom except on top of the toilet seat. There were no electrical outlets easily available to charge my phone. The flat screen TV didn't have the advantage of a HD feed. In fact, there was some sort of a problem with their provider (by the way, this simply can't happen in a nice hotel.) so I watched part of the Stanley Cup finals on a really bad picture. And, as someone else pointed out, they charge for Wi-Fi. I know a lot of upscale hotels do this. It's simply an additional revenue source the way in-room telephones are. (Thank heavens for cell phones! LOL). I'm getting very tired of business hotels that make it hard for me to connect to the internet. In sum, there are many wonderful hotels in Boston. If you can get a steep discount on the price, the OPH is worth a stay. But, there are better upscale values to be had.

Room Tip: Given the lack of sound insulation, I'd urge you to be away from the elevators. Really, the roo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Global_Coug
omniparker, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

We are pleased that this guest appreciated our levels of service but would like to point out that the issue we were experiencing with our HD signal (yes, we have this feature) was beyond our control. It involved a contract dispute between the company that provides the video signals to our guestrooms and the firm that supplies those signals to them. It has since been resolved and all channels are working properly.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,032)

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Really enjoyed a recent stay here. The location was fantastic, easily walked everywhere from Faneuil Hall and the North End to Boston Common and Newbury St. The hotel is elegant and classic, yet feels up to date. Ordered chowder from room service which was delicious and delivered quickly. Skipped the Boston Creme Pie because I'm not a big fan of the dessert, but it is supposedly where it was invented and everyone raves about it.
While the room was on the small side, it was comfortable, clean and had all the necessary amenities. The only time I felt cramped was in the bathroom, which doesn't give you much room at all. My other nitpick is that they charged for wifi. Still don't understand how hotels that charge you so much don't provide complimentary wifi when much less expensive chains give you wifi and breakfast for much less a night.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shannon N
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Great great hotel. wonderful wood panelling and decor. Great charm and ambience.
Wonderful restaurant setting. I would not suggest the buffet breakfast as this was limited when compared with other international hotels around the world. Order off the menu. The rooms great and comfortable even though on the smallish size. Very convenient location close to Quincy Market and Boston Common. Would definitely recommend as a super place to stay in Boston. So much history at and around the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

We were attracted by the JFK links and the hotel's amazing history - also it wasn't too expensive! This is a great location for dowtown Boston, only about five minutes walk to Quincy Market and a few minutes from Boston Common. The best thing about the hotel is the atmosphere. The lobby is fantastic and the restaurant, though a little expensive, has an elegant charm. Our room was a little dark, but very quiet. The bathroom was a little small.
Overall, a very good hotel with helpful staff and very good value if you get a deal.

3  Thank Boringmiddleagedman
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The Omni Parker House was a fabulous hotel. The lobby was beautiful. It is a historic landmark hotel. The staff at the Parker House were great! All of the concierges were so helpful, making dinner reservations, making recommendations for breakfast places, and giving directions. The room was beautiful. We had a corner room which had windows on two different walls. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were very high quality. The room was very spacious with lovely furniture. The bathroom was very spacious and well lighted.
The location of this hotel was perfect. Walk out to the right a few blocks and one would be at Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market, and the onto the North End. Walk out of the hotel to the left a few blocks and one would be at the Boston Commons, and Beacon Hill. The restaurant was very good and priced within a normal range for breakfast. The service at the restaurant was excellent.

This was a fabulous hotel to stay at in Boston..

3  Thank diane32724
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stay here once a year and I think the Omni Parker House might the reason we return to Boston. The rooms are great, the staff is helpful and you can't beat the perks of the Omni Guest Rewards program.

We had a couple of drinks in the bar and it was a fun place to wind down the evening. We also got breakfast from room service. And it arrived on time and was pretty good and not a bad value.

Once again a great stay at the Omni Parker House.

2  Thank TPXB
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had a great stay here! I have to say the people of Boston are very friendly and the staff here are no exception. Everyone was extremely helpful from the front desk to the gift shop. I got 4 star service my entire stay! I thought the hotel was incredibly interesting and even wound up buying a history on the hotel in their gift shop. This location is part of the freedom trail! I found the location to be very convenient. I was here for work and only had a couple hours to see Boston one of the days but thanks to its location I was able to do just that! I would love to stay again!

Room Tip: the only thing I didn't have was a great view so that may be something you want to mention if it...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business