“Freedom Trail Suite Great with Kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #44 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Freedom Trail Suite Great with Kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed in the Freedom Trail Suite with our two girls, ages 6 & 8 for 7 nights. It was great. Our girls say that this was their favorite vacation ever because of the room. They loved the bunk beds, dress-up clothes, paper dolls, and giant chalk board wall. I think they were the perfect age to appreciate the room.

The suite was pretty big with a separate bedroom for the grown-ups. My only complaint about the room was that there is only one very small bathroom. I didn't hear any noise from other rooms but the hallway noise did carry into the room. I've never stayed in a hotel where this wasn't an issue.

We ate room service a lot. I had the salmon, chicken pot-pie, filet mignon, and pizza as well as the Boston Cream Pie. Everything was good. We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant every day. We had the breakfast included in our room so we could only get the buffet. It was fine but got repetitive.

The staff (front-desk, restaurant, room service, and housekeeping) were all very helpful and friendly.

The hotel had a great location, on the Freedom Trail and near multiple subway lines. We originally were going to rent a car so that we could take side trips, but instead just rented a car from Avis across the street. Not only is a car not needed most days, but parking is really expensive. This saved us a lot of money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank JeffS_from_LA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I wrote a review on this hotel in June 2010 about lack of customer service I received over the phone. My husband and I had made a reservation for July 2010.

After visiting the hotel, I can say that our stay was pretty average. There were some definite perks; the express check-in, historic nature of the hotel and location are great. Nothing about the customer service particularly "wowed" me, although staff were friendly and bellhops responsive.

I would recommend this hotel if one is interested in its history or if a reasonable deal is being offered. If a potential guest is looking for exceptional customer service (before and during your stay) or great value for money, my guess is you could do better elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Omni Parker House. The staff was always very friendly, particularly Seamus Murphy. He told my brother and I the things to do in Boston and the things not to do. He gave us very good directions and also told us about the ghost stories of the hotel. Definitely seek him out if you have never been to Boston before. The room was a very decent size as we asked for the larger standard room, which was definitely worth the extra money. Also, the beds were so comfortable I had no problem sleeping away from home. Definitely stay here! Its a hotel that has a ton of history to it.

• Stayed March 2011
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2011

Our stay at the Omni Parker House came with some good, but unfortunately also some bad.

The GOOD: Overall we felt the counter, lobby, house cleaning staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The lobby was beautiful and the rooms were more spacious than expected...although still small for two double beds. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and we had no problem sleeping. We only ate one meal at the hotel...breakfast which was good... so I really can't comment too much on the dining experience.

Now THE BAD: the bathrooms were extremely small and the toilet was positioned in a very strange position. The bathroom was also very small. The room was not very sound proof and we could clearly hear every noise from out in the hall. We could also hear the room above us.

We also experienced a very unpleasant incident at the hotel which will likely keep us from coming back out of principle. My wife and I were coming back from restaurant when we were caught in a heavy rain and sleet storm. We luckily found, so we thought, a side entrance to the hotel that was clearly marked as an entrance with the Omni overhang and lighting. We ran for the door, entered the building, only to discover a very indifferent Omni employee that stated the entrance was for employees only. I explained that we were guests of the hotel, that we were cold and getting soaked, and requested to cut through to the lobby to avoid further bad weather. The employee refused and sent us back out into the rain/sleet; even after I told him that there were no signs prohibiting us using the entrance and since it was not marked for employees only. Heck, the overhang and logos were ornate and similar to the one at front and other side of the hotel. Anyway, we ran back into the rain/sleet and to front entrance which was a long ways away. I subsequently spoke to the evening on duty manager who apologized but said that the entrance was in fact for employees. He didn't appear to care that were upset and unnecessary water logged guests... and even admitted to guests being allowed to enter the hotel under similar circumstances in the past. We had been to a casual restaurant and were wearing jeans....makes me wonder if I was in one of my nice suits if we would have been granted access.

Anyway, I strongly feel this incident shows a strong indifference by the hotel to customer service and to going the extra mile for their guests; as well as a lack of service oriented training for staff. I was appalled with how we were treated and I doubt that I will ever stay at the hotel again as a result.

So keep this in mind if you decide to book this hotel...as there are a lot of others to select from in the beautiful historic area of Boston!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Shiffled
Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stay at the Omni Parker House every March and it gets better and better. The other reviews have covered what a great hotel and great location it is, so I thought I would mention that it has the best room service turkey club ever made. It is also reasonably priced as well.

If you stay at an Omni, make sure you sign up for the Select Guest Program. You get free Wifi and morning beverages delivered to you room. Also at the Omni Parker House you get the pleasure of working with Kate Casey, the Loyalty Ambassador.

I would agree the parking is pricey, but the hotel makes it clear how much they charge and there are other options in the neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TPXB
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

When reading other reviews of this hotel I kept seeing the theme of small rooms/bathrooms but we booked an "Executive room" for $129 a night and had plenty of room to spread out with a 13 year old and 10 year old. Only con was that we were on the second floor and had no view (unless you consider looking into someone's work office across the alley a view). Separate living area with couch (sleeper) and two chairs and two double beds. Bathroom was small but there was a separate dressing table and area so there wasn't a need for doubling up in the bathroom. Furnishings in the room and the bathroom were in great shape. No issues with noise that others noted. Definitely sign up for free loyalty program before you go for free wi-fi, free paper, free hot and cold beverages delivered to room each day, and other goodies. No downsides to that! Patrick at the front desk gave my 10 year old a free backpack of goodies at check in and cookies and milk first night which he really appreciated. Old world charm and kid friendly kept both the adults and kids happy. Work out room was very large with nice equipment. Location is a BIG plus.....easy walking distance to most neighborhoods, right on the Freedom trail, and all the T lines run within a block of the hotel. We had no issues taking our luggage via the Blue T line to/from airport. Food and bar options EVERYWHERE. Front desk helpful when asking if they could print an email for us. Peeked at rooftop ballroom and staff there were gracious as well. Fire alarm going off one morning made for an interesting story for the kids to tell their friends....glad we were on the second floor then!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights while in Boston for a conference. Although the conference was in a different hotel, I chose the Omni because of its lower rate. I enjoyed my stay there a lot. The hotel has character and it is very conveniently located near two T stations, stores, restaurants and attractions. The hotel staff were super-friendly. My room was on the smaller side (petite single) but clean and comfortable. I appreciated the printing my boarding passes for free. Overall it was a very pleasant experience. However it did seem like the management needs to pay more attention to maintaining the condition of the building. The hotel is old and some walls and ceilings -including the one in my room- looked worn out.

• Stayed March 2011
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found its location perfect for your needs. We also appreciate your candor regarding some upkeep which needs attention. We do have on going maintenance and the issues you spoke of will be adressed during this process.