“Expensive Parking at the Parker House”
Review of Omni Parker House

Omni Parker House
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Antonio, Texas
“Expensive Parking at the Parker House”
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Nice historic hotel on the Freedom Trail. Went on Priceline to get a room for $70 (they have several small rooms). The mattress was too soft and the floors creaked all night from the room upstairs. My savings on the room was wiped out with the overnight parking - $42! I think it's funny that high end hotels charge you internet use - that's why I carry my own wireless card.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bigdawg1258
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
As you are aware, the City of Boston maintains essentially that same footprint as it did in the 1600's and as such, parking spaces are at a premium and the rates reflect that. We are competitive to all major hotels in the area. However, there is the Boston Common Garage which would have been less; however, you would have to self park and walk 4 blocks to the hotel. But that is a consideration for the next time you visit Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (930)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
bangor, me
Reviewed March 14, 2011

First and foremost - this hotel is perfect in every way and is a great value. We were able to get a 2 room suite at a great price by booking and paying in advance. The entire experience at this hotel is all about service and location. If you need brand spanking new rooms then this isn't the place for you...it is the oldest continuously operated hotel in the country after all. The entire property is beautiful, clean, and renovated as-needed and they paid very close attention to detail to maintain the original style. If you want a decently priced 4-star hotel only steps from the aquarium and Quincy Market then this is your place.

Before you go - join the Omni loyalty program. I can't say this enough. It's free and the perks are awesome. Free wireless, free drinks in the morning delivered to your room, a 'secret' room service menu with much lower prices than the 'public' menu, cookies and milk for the kids the night of arrival, express check-in. The program is free to join and they stay true to their promises.

I read all the reviews and based on the number of complaints about room size we opted for a "premier suite." The room (2 rooms really) was HUGE. My wife, 2 kids, and I had plenty of room. King bed, pull out couch, 2 tv's, decent sized bathroom, plenty of plush chairs (4?) and a large desk. For a few dollars more it was most definitely worth it.

No other hotel (we stay at A LOT of them) has ever made our children feel so welcomed. A man at the front desk ran out back as soon as he saw them at checkout and handed each of them a bag filled with neat little toys. They LOVED the little flashlights and other trinkets. What a great way to treat kids! Some hotels we stay at seem like they would rather not even have kids as guests and the OPH went out of their way to let us know they are valued customers too. It is obvious that the management has instilled a 'culture' of great customer service in the staff and it is very much appreciated. Also, the crib we requested at booking was in the room when we arrived. Very rarely (if ever) does that happen, we usually need to remind them at check-in or call down when we get to the room and see it is not there. Very nice touch.

There was ALWAYS someone standing in front of the elevators greeting guests and asking if we needed help or asking questions. What a great service. We always had a dumb little question of some sort (where is the workout room, which way is Quincy Market, where is the nearest Starbucks...) and we were always treated to a smile and a knowledgeable answer.

The fitness center was top notch. Brand new equipment, rolled up towels, filtered water.

One thing others may want to know is that the valet parking is $42 a day which is about what we usually pay at similar hotels (we paid $65 a night in NYC once..). We love valeting the car since we have small children and it is so convenient but there is a public lot around the corner if you felt inclined to use it you could probably save $15 - $20 a day.

I'm not sure what else to say. The staff was great, the hotel is beautiful, the rates are fair, and the location is absolutely perfect. Bravo OPH. The management deserves a pat on the back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank skimaine
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night on a Friday afternoon to Saturday morning. This is a beautiful, old hotel. Check-in was easy and they upgraded my room to a nice deluxe. The room is small, but I already knew this from other reviews, and as the hotel is pretty old, I know they try and keep the original rooms plans, so I again had been expecting that. The furniture/bedding/style of the room is gorgeous and classic. Plenty of mirrors and a pretty big TV.

The bathrooms are small, but I also had been expecting that. The tub is very comfortable and they provide a variety of towels and toiletries. The towels are huge! They provide 3 huge towels and the mirror in there is gigantic and oh! They also have a hair dryer, a small closet with an ironing board all ready with an iron and plenty of hangers and the dresser is very beautiful with lots of drawers.

My view was really, really nice. Could see the Charles River from my room and when I woke up the next morning, I pullied up my nice stage-curtain-like shade and gazed out on downtown to a beautiful sunrise. If you're not too keen on noise, ask for a top floor room - but make sure you ask for one that's nestled into the corner somewhere because the walls are thin and you don't want to hear much off-the-elevator convo from fellow guests.

Overall, a lovely stay and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, as always, they charge an arm and a leg for the mini-bar and refreshments in the room, but they do come in handy for overnight snacking. Wish I had ordered some room service, I'm sure that would have been delicious. Definitely will stay here again next time. If you're reading this, Mr Manager, please know that you run a very beautiful, old-world-style hotel that really delivers!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
I wish to thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our hotel. You have said it all, I hope other readers take them to heart and come stay with us. I look forward to you returning soon!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Our stay at Omni Parker House just place us in a relax ambiance after our stay in N.Y.
Luxure, attention service, good restaurant in the hôtel and near by.
Just on the other side of the street, you'll find the best steak house on the East side of Norh America. No, I'm not joking, go and try RUTH'S CHRIS STEAK HOUSE. It worth the detour.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
So pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and found Ruths Chris as well, you are right very good steaks! Look forward to you returning soon.
RI
Reviewed March 9, 2011

I made a reservation using my iPhone unfortunately my arrival date was for the next day. Front desk was able to accommodate me no problem. The room was small, bathroom tiny. The rug in the room was frayed. Went to the Celts game after the game went to retire for the night and pulled down the comforter. The bright white sheet was loaded with hairs. Sceeved out bug time. Upon further examinatiion it doesn't look like the matress sheet was even changed. Very disappointed I almost exclusively only stay in Omni Hotels for the reward benefits. Unlikely to return here really grossed out.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Andrew B
Please accept our apologies for your disappointment with our housekeeping. Your comments have been reviewed with our Director of Housekeeping to ensure other guests do not have the same unfortunate experience you had. Please not let this one incident sour you on Omni Hotels - we take great pride in what we do and would aprpeciated another chance to redeem ourselves.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I was shocked that this was the most affordable available in my company's booking system. I signed up for the rewards, had a "get fit kit" in my room (includes a yoga mat, wrist weights, and a resistance band). So assumed since they had that benefit, their gym would suck. Not so! They had tons of machines with individual tvs on the cardio stuff, was open 24 hours, and had a giant bowl of apples and oranges available for free every morning. My rewards also got me a free wake-up beverage of my choice at a time specifically listed by me. Everyone was incredibly nice, and my room was great as well. Just couldn't believe how well an old classic hotel catered to those trying to stay fit while traveling, not typical.

My room was out of an elevator and then right, but I heard from a co-worker that out of the elevator and left isn't as nice, and is noisy at night, so you may want to request a room change if you are there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for commenting on our exercise facility. It is important to us to cater to the needs of our guests, and we realize that many enjoy a daily workout and our facility is geared towards meeting that goal. We look forward to you staying with us again when your travels take you to Boston.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We have only just arrived at this amazing hotel today and after reading some negative reviews I just have to comment! We have been totally impressed with everything so far, starting with speedy check in, our two five year olds got a back pack full of toys, and if that wasn't exciting enough, we arrived in our family suite.......this is huge! The kids nearly passed out with excitement when they saw their bedroom nook, just off the large living area. This is the best family suite we have EVER stayed in. The kids have a fantastic bunk bed, a play table loaded with coloring books, crayons, drawing paper, toys, bean bags, a massive full wall chalk board....and old colonial dress ups. They now don't want to leave the hotel and keep saying " this is the best house ever, and we're staying for ever and ever". We have travelled a lot with the kids since they were born, and this is without a doubt the best hotel family friendly suite we have stayed in. We now can't understand why other hotels don't do this type of accommodation.

We can chill out in our very comfortable king suite bedroom off the living room, kids are sound asleep from all the excitement of the room, the bed is so comfortable, as everyone else has mentioned. We went for a walk this afternoon and it is so close to everything, however we had to come back, as the kids wanted to play dress ups! .

There are books for us to read, wifi is great ( we joined the loyalty program, it's free and you will not be disappointed), room service is really prompt and the kids got a cookie and milk as well. Every member of staff has been helpful, and just so friendly. As we have been traveling now for five weeks and moving often, this is such a welcome respite.

We can't wait to tell everyone we know about this little gem. Even though we haven't finished our stay, I'm sure we would have even more good things to say after our six days, but I want to make sure I capture this amazing place so others know about our positive experience here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ausmale
Manager1856, Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
We are delighted to read your glowing comments concerning you and your family's recent stay with us at the Omni Parker House. We really do enjoy families and our staff are delighted when there are children around the hotel - we certainly hope you will plan another vacation with us.