“Top of the heap”

Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Rarely am I as impressed with a hotel staff as I was with the Four Seasons this trip. They are remarkably pro active. For example when I checked in, they escorted me to the elevators. When I asked for information about a local site, they had walking instructions prepared for me when I came to the lobby. There is a professionalism, interest and level of caring that is wonderfully old school and, sadly for this calibre of hotel, very rare indeed.

The hotel itself is noting special for this category of lodging, but the staff make it stand out. The beds are such that if you could fit them into a suitcase and bring them home along with the shampoo you would. Very comfortable.

My one beef...the Internet speed and connectivity, at least in my room, was sub par. I paid for the upgraded speed but it was still not acceptable. The hotel tried hard to fix it, but it was never at, let alone above, par.

Food is crazy expensive even for this category of hotel. Pancakes and juice came to $60 plus when served it the room. Not unusual I suppose, but the fleecing is obvious!

That does it take away from the incredible service and overall quality of the experience. Bravo!

1  Thank ChillyAlbertans
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your kudos about our service (and comfy beds!) – as well as also your comments about areas where improvements can be made. We know how important Wi-Fi is and want to ensure we always get it right for our guests across the board. Our goal is to make each guest stay seamless – and memorable - and we hope to do just that should your travels return you to Four Seasons Boston in the future.

There are newer reviews for Four Seasons Hotel Boston

Reviewed October 10, 2013

My one night stay at this hotel was excellent. The staff are very attentive and offered superior service. It's truly a top notch hotel. I recommend it highly. The rooms are spacious and top notch. The location was great. It made it easy to get in and out for various business meetings.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your pleasant review. We're always delighted to know when our guests receive exceptional service. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed the hotel’s central Back Bay location and hope that future visits to Boston will bring you back to our Hotel once again.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

While we are from Boston area, my wife and I took a weekend getaway to Boston to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we pulled in to valet park, the service was impeccable. Everyone is courteous, addresses guests personally and strives to make your stay amazing. The room was spacious and well-appointed. Sabrina at the concierge desk was simply unbelievable. She was able to get us a dinner reservation at a great restaurant even on Boston College parent's day weekend. In addition, she had a bottle of champagne and a fantastic chocolate dessert sent to our room to recognize our anniversary. The hotel's close proximity to Newbury Street made for a great weekend. Thanks again to all the staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RossT2283
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

We're honored that you chose our Boston hotel to celebrate your anniversary. It's a special day on the calendar each year, and we're thrilled we could mark the occasion with proper fanfare. I've relayed your kudos to Sabrina on our Concierge team; thank you for mentioning her assistance. We look forward to welcoming you back for future anniversary celebrations and getaways, and from all of us here, thank you for your business.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I find that there are two types of Four Seasons hotels, of which I love the first type and I detest the second. The first type has a beautiful setting and building, and a refreshingly down-to-earth and relaxed staff. The second type has the same setting and building, but an attitude of elitism and entitlement with which I for one am very uncomfortable. According to my recent stay at this property, the Four Seasons Boston unfortunately falls into the second category. Here are two examples. My wife called to speak with me during my stay. She asked to speak with me and gave the receptionist my surname and room number. Did that enable her to get through? No. She was then grilled about what her relationship was to me. It apparently took several attempts at persuasion before she was "allowed" to be put through to my room. OK, I understand that occasionally the Beckhams come to town and maybe this sort of routine makes sense for them. But this Alcatraz approach to routine phone calls is absurd for the business traveller. Another example: I decided to leave my cell phone in the room during one of the business meetings downstairs, and when I was down there had to make a quick call. I approached the coat check attendant to ask where I might find a pay phone. She asked if I meant a house phone. I said no, a phone on which I can make an outgoing call. She looked at me like I had leprosy and explained that there are no such telephones in the hotel. I don't even know whether she's right about that, but the condescension was unbelievable.

Anyhow, you get the drift. Yes, it's a beautiful building and the location right on Boston Common is lovely. But I'd rather give my patronage to a property that doesn't make me feel like a second class citizen just because I didn't pull up in my Bentley. Not every Four Seasons does that, but unfortunately this is one that (for me) falls into the dreaded second type.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review and candor. We aspire that all of our guests enjoy the warm, caring service that we pride ourselves on. Thus, it's a great disappointment to us when a guest's visit is anything less than exceptional. I assure you that your experience is not indicative of what other guests have encountered, and we can only hope that you'll give us another chance to create a memorable stay. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at awet.sium@fourseasons.com if/when your travels do bring you back to Boston.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was here for one night in October for a business conference. The hotel was very nice, the rooms were spacious and the linens were soft. The bathroom was nice and more than adequate. I think what sets this hotel apart was the staff. Everyone was very friendly and ready to please. Turndown service was nice and everyone at the front desk and valet were attentive and friendly. I would stay here again. The location is great right on Boston Common and it is a quick walk to various sites in Boston. 15 minute cab ride to Logan Airport.

1  Thank Robert R
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed the Hotel’s central Boston location and many amenities. But what delights us most is that you experienced exceptional service. There is no better compliment for our team. We appreciate your business and endorsement and hope to always deliver the best of Boston hospitality upon each return stay.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed at Four. Seasons Hotel for a long weekend. Everything is fantastic! Just to walk in the lobby is enjoyable. The ambiance that the hotel projects is felt everywhere. Rooms are spacious and all details considered. Food is excellent and dining room and bar are always busy and enjoyable. Being in the heart of Boston, close enough to walk to historical sights, theater,waterfront,shopping etc. any time f year is great in Boston and the Four Seasons is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Janet K

Thanks for sharing your experience at our Back Bay hotel. We’re thrilled that you enjoyed our central location and are glad that you had a chance to dine and drink at The Bristol Lounge. We hope you had an opportunity to experience one of the restaurant's weekly events such as Burgers & Burgundy Wednesdays, serving up our award-winning Bristol Burger. Thank you again for your endorsement; we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Was only here for two nights. Am a regular Four Seasons guest. Found the valet and front desk staff to be excellent. Bed was extremely comfortable, room large, bathroom adequate. Attended a conference and the food, beverages and service at the conference was great. Also ate at the Bristol Lounge multiple times and found the service and food to be good. Only one thing would have made the stay better-- Outlets in the room-- there are not enough and none near the bed. Marriott in this sense does a better job of catering to a business traveler. Having said that, I'd recommend the hotel, price not withstanding, and stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for your review and Four Seasons loyalty. It means a great deal to us that you enjoy our brand – and our Boston property specifically. It’s our goal to make business travel as seamless and stress free as possible, thus we appreciate your feedback regarding outlets in the room. It’s something we will address as we continue to seek ways to enhance the guest experience. Please don’t hesitate to contact me via email at awet.sium@fourseasons.com to connect further. Thank you again for your comments.