“One of the best hotels in the world”

Four Seasons Hotel Boston
Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best hotels in the world”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

They have stepped up the overall quality (assuming that's possible). The property was immaculate. Our room was immaculate. Staff and service were outstanding.

John, Ron, Louie and Jacques are the best door staff in the country. Other hotels could learn from the Boston Four Seasons. Other hotel staffs seem rather crude compared to the highly professional team at the Boston Four Seasons. The Boston Four Seasons is the indusrty standard.

Room Tip: Higher floor, if possible.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your experience at our Boston Hotel with us! We have shared your compliments with our Front Services team; they are so honored! Our entire staff works diligently every day to ensure our guests have memorable experiences; therefore your kind remarks regarding our staff are wonderful to receive! We’re delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
Long Beach, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Any time I stay at a hotel and I stay at a lot of them on the road for over 160 nights a year, I expect certain things, service, cleanliness, decent restaurant, etc. I usually stay at pretty decent hotels, years of experience helps, but once in a while I stay at a hotel where things are even better than my high standards. By the way, I'm one of those people whose expectations rise as the room rate gets higher, so, a hotel like the Four Seasons, as you might expect, makes my standards get very high. This hotel never fails to deliver the goods, it's not just the nicer rooms, location, etc, it's not just the staff, it's the total package. Everyone here wants you to enjoy your stay, and, if it's a special occasion, like a birthday, anniversary, etc, they make it even nicer, with great little touches, and sometimes, with wonderful surprises. I just had my 70th birthday there and, it makes moving into this decade something I will look forward to. I won't mention all they did, don't want anyones expectations to get too high, but let's just say, it far exceeded anything I even remotely expected. Thank you Four Seasons, I hope to celebrate every birthday with you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for your glowing review! We’re over the moon that you enjoyed your special time spent at our luxury Boston Hotel. The little touches truly do make a difference in turning a stay into a memorable visit – we’re so glad that you enjoyed them! Thank you for your comments about our service; that is the best compliment that we can receive! Again, thank you for this wonderful review and happy belated birthday to you. We hope that you spend many more with us!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Worth the price - outstanding front staff, especially good concierge group. Get a room overlooking the public gardens. Use the beautiful pool & gym; well appointed and again staffed well.
Sorry to say, the breakfast options are weak. Terribly overpriced in their restaurant and room service.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel -- 8th floor is nice. Pool & spa ( and morning coffee) are right nearby.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our Boston Hotel! We’re delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from your luxurious guestroom overlooking the charming Boston Public Garden to the 8th Floor Indoor Pool and Fitness Facility and the service from the Front Services and Concierge team. Guest feedback is the most important feedback we receive, thus we appreciate each word and have shared your comments regarding the Breakfast dining options at The Bristol Lounge and the Room Service Menu with our Food and Beverage Team. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you visit us again in the future!
westport
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Saying a hotel meets expectations may sound like faint praise, but if you read the reviews here and elsewhere, you walk into the Four Seasons Boston with some pretty high hopes for service and experience. So the fact that the FS staff manages to deliver, repeatedly, is really saying something.

And boy do they deliver. We pulled up in our minivan (Mom & Dad, 2 girls 6&4, and grandma) in the midst of what must have been a very, very stressful time for the staff. McCartney was in town, (staying in the hotel, we found out later, since the staff stayed discreet), the hotel was fully booked, his tour bus was out front waiting to take him to Fenway, and there was a small scrum of autograph hounds milling around.

Despite all this, we were swept into the hotel, our van was efficiently valet-ed, check in took 30 seconds, and the General Manager (likely in the lobby to ensure Macca made it to the bus) made a point of hailing us, suggesting some ideas for the kids, and welcoming us. What was impressive wasn't so much the content, but the effort. The guy had a million things to worry about, but took his presence in the lobby as an opportunity to reach out to guests.

It's that kind of commitment to service, flowing, as always, from the top, that informs the whole experience. A few minutes later, in the midst of McCartney's departure, a fire alarm tripped and the whole building had to be evacuated. We ended up going out the employee stairwell, and were met outside by a veritable army of well-dressed staff. Hundreds of them, milling anxiously on the sidewalk. Imagine trying to run an organization that big, that diverse, whiile meeting the expectations of luxury travelers, just waiting to go online and snipe if a one-eyed waiter winks at them. When the alarm was cleared minutes later, we walked back inside and it was as if nothing had happened. Stations, everyone!

You can't beat the Back Bay location. It's right on the Public Garden, you can see the swan boats right across the street. Newbury street shopping is a block away. My mom and I walked home from Fenway rather than fight for a cab, about 15 minutes. If you need to get somewhere in more of a hurry, the house car (a 750 BMW) is available, with a friendly, courteous driver. We took it to Fenway.

My kids were treated like princesses, which is maybe the nicest new development in luxury travel. They were given stuffed animal gifts (from a red wagon) upon arrival, kid-size robes were hanging in the closet. Room service delivered a gratis snack tray of cookies, yoohoo and candy just as I was leaving my wife to watch them for the rest of the night. There may have been some bed-jumping that night.

The rooms are lovely. Classic luxe design. We had adjoining rooms - one king and one double. Both are appointed identically with a desk, armchair/ottoman, bureau/TVstand, and dressing bench. Bathrooms are marble, well lit, immaculate. Our rooms did not have separate showers. Amenities are L'Occitane, which makes my wife squeal with delight every time.

We had a leisurely drink in the Bristol Lounge, and fed the kids. For such a lovely space it has a very casual feel. Service is easygoing but efficient. Drinks are great.

We also used the gym and pool. Overlooking the Public Garden on the top floor, the four-lane pool is perfect for kids. It's about 3.5ft deep at most, warm, and just big enough that my little imps could stay out of the way of the requisite elderly lap swimmer that seems to follow us from hotel to hotel across the country. Special shout-out to the woman who was manning the gym/pool, who appeared to be a personal trainer. She was exceptionally friendly to my girls, explaining the rules to them while squatting down to their level without being intimidating or overbearing. I was very impressed, so was my wife, and so were the kids. They listened, which is, sad to say, unusual, and that's all due to her bearing.

All in all a first class experience in a first class hotel. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed experience at our Boston Hotel with us! It’s a joy to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from children’s amenities to the pool and fitness center and of course, the luxurious guestrooms. Our team strives to make each of our guest’s visit special, and we only hope your family will have the chance to return again in the future; it would be a joy to welcome you back to Four Seasons Boston!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2013

It's hard to go wrong with a Four Seasons. But I have to say that this visit topped my expectations. I was attending meetings in Boston and realized I was missing an earring at my first meeting. I thought I had lost it on the street and was very upset. Upon my return to the hotel, I found my earring sitting on the table. I had "lost it" in my room and housekeeping found it on the floor and left it for me. it was a favorite and valuable earring so I was extremely happy and thankful that housekeeping had found and returned it to me. High quality service fro high quality employees. And of douse, the amenities etc were as always excellent.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room, but you may want to specify whether you want a tub in the bathroom as s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our Boston Hotel. We’re elated that Housekeeping was able to find your favorite earring! We’re so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Boston Hotel and hope to welcome you back soon!
Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a nice hotel - good friendly service, great food, clean, safe, and nice location. From my prior visits to other Four Seasons in other major cities, Boston was one of the better Four Seasons city locations that I have stayed at - it is worth the price. Sometimes that is not the case. We had an executive suite - and so the room was spacious and the inside pool was nice to enjoy. If you are traveling with small kids the Executive Suite has doors that will close off the bedroom from the sitting room that has a fold out bed/couch or a will handle a roll away bed.

Room Tip: The best thing about Four Seasons when it comes to traveling with small kids is that Executive Suite...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We’re so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our Boston Hotel. We’re delighted that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the delicious dining options to the 8th Floor Indoor Pool. We hope to welcome you back to Boston soon!
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Not only is the location absolutely perfect; this Four Seasons keeps us returning year after year. The service is always top notch, from the moment you arrive until you leave (hesitantly). Looking over the Public Garden is the perfect way to start our day. We can't imagine coming to Boston and not staying at the Four Seasons. We did not get our bags on the last trip and the staff made sure we had everything we needed until our bags arrived early the next morning. The rooms are lovely and the beds are very comfortable. I have to add that Louis is one of the most pleasant, helpful individuals that we have encountered; he has been there the past 3 years of our trip and always recognizes us and makes us feel like we are being welcomed home. Thank you for always making our trip to Boston such a pleasant one. This Four Seasons is our favorite, and top notch!

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the Public Garden.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for this wonderful review! We’re honored that you continue to visit the Four Seasons during your visit to Boston – what a wonderful compliment! We have shared your comments to Louis and he is so grateful for your kind words. He is a wonderful Front Services team member and has been for the last 20 years! We’re delighted that you enjoyed your luxurious accommodations and location of our Back Bay Hotel. From all of us at Four Seasons Boston, we thank you for this fabulous review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future!