“The Best”

Ranked #5 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Encinitas, California
“The Best”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fantastic hotel. I stayed here for one night this April and it was a top tier experience. I had told them that I was going to come by and drop my bags off in the morning....and then go explore, as that's too early to check in. I was coming from another hotel, the Omni, which was only alright despite their one in SF being amazing.

I got to the Four Seasons at 11:30AM or so. I made clear that all I wanted to do was drop off my bags and they said they had a room ready! In the morning! It was amazing....and I think this happened possibly because I had to wait about 45 seconds before I could check in.

And one thing that I noticed was that the guy out front noticed my name on the luggage tags....and had my name for check in and when he talked to me. I didn't know how else he did that! After I had given my card and checked in (went very smoothly), he walked over to the elevator and pushed the floor I was going to.

It's almost sounds like a bit much, but it's great because it's all so fluid and natural....it isn't pretentious or overwrought. They were apologetic about having to wait for a very short time to check in.

The room was amazing (I've attached photos). It was overlooking the Public Garden on the fifth floor....room 525.....and was beautifully renovated. People on here have said the hotel is dated, but it is NOT. The bathrooms are brand new and they're very well done.

It was a Garden Deluxe room, so it wasn't a suite. But the room was a comfortable size with a desk and a lounge chair. The bathroom was great too....all marble and new. Great details like the thick half inch (I think) glass shower door and quality cabinets make it feel like a five star hotel. The shower pressure was firm and good....and there was also a hand held showerhead too. I didn't get to use the bath and I'm super bummed I didn't, but it looked great.

The bed and linnens are perfect. It's very comfortable and not too firm....and not too soft. The pillows are especially amazing & it is just such a quality experience. The TV is great too: large, clear and bright. Most, if not all, of the stuff in the room had to be pretty new.

The view was spectacular, even though it was a grim, cold/wet/ice pellets kind of day. I bet in the summer or on a clear day, it's even better.

But you know what is a better view? The POOL. This is another area that seems pretty new/renovated. The pool is on the 8th floor overlooking the Public Garden! It's ntioned 'amazing...and the jacuzzi is great too. Perfect temperature and it's very clean. I didn't go in the pool (I was too lazy and reading in the jacuzzi was too tempting)....but the temperature was good! Not cold as somebody else mentioned!

When I got there, they had me sign in and they showed me around. The pool looks renovated and has new stone around it, the bathroom area is small....but very well done. But I don't think it matters because it was empty each time I went there (three times, the pool/exercise area is that great!).

They were very nice and I'm blanking on their names (a young man and young woman)....but they seem proud to work there and they strike you as genuinely interested in helping you out and getting to know you. It's really impressive and they're fun to talk to. They'll offer you water or a newspaper or whatever....and it's done so smoothly.

I had roomservice and it was great. I got an pasta dish with tomato/meat sause, apple pie and a crab chowder soup. It's very expensive, but it is quite good and it was right on time. It's literally like dining at the Bristol Lounge downstairs....in your room. It's pretty decadent...but cool at the same time!

They pressed and cleaned a shirt & a pair of pants, which I had spilled some stuff on and it was very quickly and done well. The lady was beyond nice and it wasn't outrageously expensive, as you might think.

I ate at the restaurant downstairs twice and the food is great....especially the burger! Wow! One of the best burgers I've ever had. The bartender was great too & a blast to talk to. They're very helpful, nice and everything just works so smoothly. Somebody noticed I looked up like I wanted to talk to a waiter about a newspaper and the manager (?) ...a nice african american man who was there both times went up to me. It was like he read my mind! He also remembered I had come previously and that was pretty impressive because I was just by myself and it's a pretty sizable place.

Overall, the stay was fantastic. It is truly a top-tier hotel, perhaps matched by the Hay Adams and Flor Blanca in Costa Rica in terms of the service/experience.....which is to say it's basically perfect. The only real thing that I noticed was that the hallway between the 8th floor lobby to the gym is oddly chilly. The weight equipment was a little old, but I feel like they're going to renovate it....because everything else in the gym/pool area was. Other than that, it's very new and looks great.

Although it's not the newest equipment, it all worked fine. And some of chairs in the Bristol Lounge were hard to sit in.

That's grasping for something to "criticize." It was a fantastic time and the manager should be really proud of his staff....they seem to take a lot of pride in working there. It's great.

And on a side note that I'll have to mention because of the tragic terrorist bombings at the marathon is the security. I left Boston on Saturday night and the bombings took place not 36 hours later....I also hung out around that area a lot. So it's kind of disturbing.

That said, they already had security on every floor at all times and I'm sure in the lobby....so it was safer than your average hotel (including other upscale ones). I'm sure that now, post bombing, security will be increased.

I had an amazing time in Boston and the Omni, which I stayed at before the FS, wasn't even close. I'll review that next, but I had to write this because of how blown away I was.

If you aren't on a budget & looking to travel to Boston, there is only one way to go: The Four Seasons.

It's simply the BEST there is in Boston!

The other thing I'll say is that, although I'm 24 (and look like I'm 17)....I didn't get talked down to, ignored or anything like that. That has happened at other "nice" hotels!

That last part is especially important for me to mention, because many times that happens and I hate people judging me just on the basis of my youthful looks.

It was a treat for myself but hopefully I can talk my parents into staying there during an upcoming trip! There is no other place to look in Boston if you're looking for a first class experience.

My thoughts & prayers go out to the people of Boston and the staff at the FS....I hope they and their families were safe. God forbid that another terrorist attack happens.....but if one did, I'm confident the FS has a solid emergency plan in place.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one facing the Public Garden! Yes it's more expensive, but since you're al...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jvsd123
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Wow! We're simply blushing reading this review. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your wonderful experience at our Boston Hotel.

We're thrilled that you enjoyed all of the different services in the Hotel from Room Service delivering you our famous Crab Chowder, to your fabulous experience in the Spa overlooking the Boston Public Garden, to Laundry Services and of course, savoring The Bristol Lounge's best burger in town. Our entire team is passionate about service and we're so glad that every aspect of your stay was top notch! From all of us at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, thank you again for writing this glowing review about our team and Hotel! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
Paris, Illinois
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I were in Boston at the Four Seasons late February and we had a very nice reception. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Our suite was large and quite comfortable and we can't wait to return. The staff's recommendations for dinner were excellent choices for us. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frazie1
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thanks for your review. It sounds like you and your husband enjoyed a lovely date night at our Boston Hotel from your luxury guestroom accommodations to a night out on the town. We're so glad that we were able to be a part of it! We hope to see you again soon.
Boston
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stay at the Four Seasons Boston at least twice a year. Every time it has been a delight. We travel with our young son, and they are always so kind to him upon arrival--a toy and coloring book, and later, once we are settled, they deliver a snack boat with a cookie, Yahoo, and pudding. He loves it. We usually order room service and have found the service prompt, professional and friendly. They go the extra mile -- they know who you are when you call down, and even if you have special concerns (son has a nut allergy -- so they make sure there are none in the room.) Consistent quality, professional and courteous manner, and excellent attention to detail.

Room Tip: We always get a suite, so our son can sleep on the sofa bed. Ask for a view of the Public Garden.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re delighted that you had a nice visit. We love ensuring that families have special memories to take home with them and know that every little extra touch makes a difference. Thank you for your kind words, and we just hope that we’ll have the honor of welcoming your family back once again!
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed for several days at the Four Seasons-Boston for a conferance. This was our third stay in the last 10 years. We must say, without question, this is the finest ,and most consistent, place we have ever stayed.
We have stayed in many hotels in both the US and Europe and without question this is the most wonderful.
The staff is world-class and personal. But not over-bearing.
The management were genuine and respectful to us.
The food and bar service were really beyond compare.
It is very clean.It feels like home, but better.
The only down side... now the bar has been set and we
will be thinking other high-end places are not so much.

Room Tip: Room 423, a nice suite that overlooks the Boston Public Garden Swan Pond
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
What a wonderful review of our Boston Hotel! We can’t think of a better compliment than knowing that while in the city for a conference, you and your wife were able to feel pampered as if on a vacation. It’s a joy knowing that you’re a Four Seasons Boston fan – we are proud and honored. Thank you again for this glowing feedback that we have shared with our team!
Essex
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Four Seasons provided us with a really decent spot for exploring Boston as everything feels only a short walk away.

The best features of the hotel are the swimming pool, which is great for a spot of relaxation which a fantastic view of Boston Common. We also really liked the Bristol Lounge and ended up in there most nights. The service was really good, and it's surprisingly lively for a hotel bar.

Rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. Unfortunately, ours overlooked a multi-storey car park but we didn't spend all that much time in our room anyway.

Make sure to visit Georgetown Bakery which is on Newbury Street and a few minutes walk from the Four Seasons. Best. Cupcakes. EVER.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your feedback. We couldn't be more thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at our Boston Hotel. The view of the Boston Public Garden and sweeping city scenes from the 8th Floor Indoor pool is a must see! We’re glad that you experienced the lively Bristol Bar, we hope that you were able to indulge in the Bar’s popular martinis or Chef Vosika’s delicious Bar Bites. We couldn't agree more with you about Georgetown Cupcakes…they are scrumptious. We even recently launched a Children’s Georgetown Cupcake Tea on Saturday’s and Sundays at The Bristol Lounge! We hope that you visit us again while in Boston.
Calabasas, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

No hotel chain can hold a candle to Four Seasons. I stayed here a few months ago and had some issues. The managers personally contacted me to find out all my concerns and ensured that on my return visit everything would be perfect and everything was. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff, management, facilites, restaurants and guest rooms. This is the only place I would stay in Boston for a combination of superb service, eagerness to ensure perfection and concern about each guest's happiness. Bravo to the Four Seasons Boston!

Room Tip: Best rooms have views overlooking the Boston Garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FSBoston, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
We're over the moon reading this review and have shared with our team! We can't thank you enough for your amazing feedback about our team, the Spa, The Bristol Lounge and our guestrooms. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Derbyshire
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location hotel, next to park close to the historic area and shopping we had a very quite room, nice breakfast, good room, excellent late 4pm checkout for our late flight. Helpful valet parking and front desk.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CorkyDerbyshire
Thank you for reviewing our luxury Boston Hotel located in Back Bay. Shopping on famous Newbury Street and strolling through the beautiful Boston Public Garden is a must while in Boston and we’re delighted that you were able to experience that right outside our front door. We’re thrilled that you dined in the Hotel’s restaurant, The Bristol Lounge, which has many fabulous breakfast menu items including Executive Chef Brooke Vosika's popular Lemon Ricotta Hotcakes. We hope to see you again soon!