“Extraordinary Service and Views...but noisy! I preferred the Four Seasons for the price...”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Management has evidently done a superb job of teaching its employees to offer exemplary, friendly, efficient service in this hotel on the waterfront. Views to the harbor with its yachts, schooners and ferries were beautiful... Shannon, at the reception desk, was hugely helpful to us and Concierge Rob Fournier was ever-ready to assist; even the late-night room service delivery was handled with gracious sincerity! They couldn't do enough for us and every request was met with care. But...we heard every skipping child and closing door in the hallway from our relatively small room, and I preferred the Back Bay neighborhood with its Public Garden and the serene, luxurious comfort at the Four Seasons for the same price. My husband enjoyed the boats so much that he disagreed, so we will have something to discuss when returning to Boston!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Korean first
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I spent four nights during the 4th of July here and I am so happy we chose this hotel. From the moment you arrive you are greeted like you are king and queen! Everyone at the hotel was so friendly and helpful. I was born and raised in R.I. so I am not a stranger to Boston, but after being away for so many years (43), we decided to be complete "tourists" and did ALL of Boston including - North End, Chinatown, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Financial District, Waterfront - and even walked the whole Freedom Trail. In four days we walked 31 miles, even walking to the U.S. Constitution and up the 294 steps of the Bunker Hill Monument., Boston is a great walkiing city and so easy to get around, especially with the T which took us to Harvard. The there is the Harbor Cruise we took (90 minutes) to the outer islands and around the bay.

Back to the hotel, we are light sleepers and NEVER heard a sound in our room. A big plus. Room was nice, not much different in size from any other nice hotel (smallish bathroom) and decorating was very pleasing. The room was always spotless.

There are so many awesome restaurants in Boston that we chose not to eat at the hotel but we did spend our first night eating a small meal outside on the dock while listeniing to their blues band play. I had the Ipswich clams and they were a bit off. Only ate 1/4 of them. Waiter didn't seem to care. Only other thing we didn't like was in their bar which is inside the restaurant. The head bartender was full of himself and even berated and chastised two of the waiters right in front of us. (Only 6 stools at the bar.) I had to ask for water three times before I finally got some from a different bartender. It was about 5:00pm and three bartenders were setting up the bar and taking inventory They were constantly talking to each other and never tried to be friendly with anyone at the bar. It was like we were in the way. Being such a small bar, it was very distracting and not relaxing at all, so we left to find a quieter place to sit.

Apart from that one incident, the stay was perfect. Oh, and the health club was awesome. The hot tub was almost as big as a small livingroom! My husband would go down every morning to get his workout in and they had a room set up with coffee, juice, TV, etc. So at least he could bring coffee up to the room without using room service. The spa was immaculate, including the locker room, which was huge. The pool was Olympic size.

Perfect location to walk to Quincey Market for a bite to eat and close to the North End where we ate at Giacomo's for dinner. Long wait but worth it. Lots of fun.

Ate great steamers at Rusty Dog at Quincey Market and had a wonderful lobster roll at the restaurant at the Marriott Long Wharf, the way a lobster roll should be (chunks of lobster, a bit of mayo and a bit of celery stuffed inside a hot dog bun that is toasted).

Oh, and THE VIEW! !

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This is a hotel that knows how to welcome and take care of its guests. The staff was friendly, attentive and helpful throughout our stay. We had a room with a harbor view and it was simply spectacular -- sitting in the room was its own tourist attraction. The room itself was spacious and well appointed, and had the usual niceties such as robe, slippers, upscale bedding, etc. Another nice touch: free internet access (think of how many hotels in this price range take the occasion to ding you another $10-15 for internet service). The health club and large pool were also first-rate and, again, the staff really made a difference. Location was good for walking around, and Boston has to be one of the best cities in the USA for walking. Another extra -- at least until mid-September -- is the free outdoor entertainment dockside in the evenings. I am generally wary of hotel restaurants, but the Rowes Wharf Sea Grille was certainly an exception to my rule. The food was delicious. Also -- if you have a few extra minutes (and luggage you can easily schlep), take the water taxi ($10) to Logan airport from the hotel. Hotel to terminal check-in line took us 45 minutes, and that included a detour to pick up another passenger at a wharf about 10 minutes away. Nice view of the waterfront and it beats a crappy taxi through the tunnels.

Boston
Reviewed June 24, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel. I live in Boston, but was staying here as part of an awards ceremony for 4 nights for work (6/15-6/19). I stayed in room 1018 (I was upgraded upon arrival to a Harborfront room). Personally I didn't think the room was that small for a room in Boston as other reviewers have indicated. It was immaculately clean. If anything was on the smallish side it was the bathroom. The bed was large and very comfortable and the view was outstanding. The service was good without being "in your face" (I personally hate "in your face" service at upper class hotels). The breakfast was served in the Meritage room but was a private buffet for our work function. I personally thought it was decent (esp. the fresh squeezed OJ), but have no idea what my employer was paying for it. So why not 4 stars? I separately researched what my room would have cost had I paid for it out of pocket at this time of year - including taxes easily around $600 per night. To me that is quite exorbitant for what you get. Again, this is a beautiful hotel, but I genuinely feel lik e you should be able to get a much better deal at nearby hotels. It's almost as if this place is priced for businesses where the travellers aren't paying out of pocket to stay there. I am thrilled my company paid for me to have the opportunity to stay there, but I never would stay there again at that price. Therefore I have said I would recommend the hotel to a friend IF they could get a great deal or if business were paying for it, but if you are paying for it out of pocket, my STRONG recommendation is to research a bit first.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2010

The Boston Harbor Hotel is beautiful and everything about it is pristine and stylish. When we first walked in the front desk staff was falling all over himself to make us fell welcome it was really really amazing. At 3:20 every day there was a Cookies and milk delivered to your room and apples and candies in the hall.

Nightly during the summer there are concerts on the water. They are really really great the two nights that we were there both groups were excellent. Everything is walkable. The north end with the best Italian food that I have ever had was just 4 blocks down the water. There is a water taxi from Logan Airport that drops off right at the hotel. It's very very close to everything. Boston Common, Faneuil Hall, Quincy market and most things are very walkable.

The pool and spa are amazing! The tile needs replacing but everything is clean and well maintained.

Overall, An unbelievable experience in the very best location in Boston. You really can't go wrong!!

I welcome all your questions if you want to know anything specific just contact me!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Hotel is within walking distance of financial center for meetings. Walking to Chinatown and the Back Bay area is also possible if you have time. Shopping in area is not as good as the Back Bay.

Only one meal at the hotel (Sea Grille) for breakfast which was excellent. Sea Grille eggs.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
MA
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We just spent the weekend at the Boston Harbor Hotel, and loved every moment of it. The location is superb, as there is so much in walking distance. The North End, Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market, and even the Aquarium are right next door. The Aquarium T stop was also in the immediate vicinity, which made travel quite easy.

We walked all over, had lunch at the Union Oyster House, dinners in North End and also on Charles Street - just terrific!

The rooms are spacious and modern with lovely decor, the staff is friendly and helpful. Self parking on the premises is easy and far cheaper than valet, and there is a lower weekend rate.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple