“Great location...old world Feel...”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed September 17, 2008

Just a one night stay at the modern "old-world" hotel. Room was nice albeit smallish. Enjoyed the location right on the waterfront! Staff was pleasant and attentive. No problems at all.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank RPaulus
There are newer reviews for Boston Harbor Hotel

Reviewed September 6, 2008

I live in upstate NY and decided to get away for a couple of days over the Labor Day weekend. We wanted to stay someplace on the ocean and we have two dogs, and found it's really hard to find someplace right on the beach that pets are allowed. So we decided to look at Boston because it's on the ocean and we though we might take a ferry ride (we learned that the Harbor Cruises do allow pets on the sightseeing tours). I was going to stay at the Residence Inn Tudor Wharf, which as a Marriott rewards member I knew would be consistent and good as usual. But it appeared to be a bit more on the river, and since we usually order take-out because of the dogs, we really wanted a room with the view.

I had been searching hotels in Boston and kept coming back to the Boston Harbor Hotel, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money for it. When I looked at their web site, I couldn't help but call the hotel to see what they might have available. The night before we were going, I was fortunate enough to speak to Debbie, one of the managers, who was extremely helpful and was able to give me a great rate in a Harborview room. I decided then that I would pamper myself and my husband, because we had been working really hard lately! Was I ever glad I did!!!

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, I would say SERVICE is the first word I could say about the hotel, and that word continued throughout our stay. I'm amazed at hotels like this where the people get to know your names, and even the names of our dogs as we took them in and out. When we got into our room though, I heard my husband say "Wow!" as he looked at the view. We were on the 8th floor which had an amazing view of the harbor and we could see the ocean beyond. I felt as though I could just sit there looking! But there was one glitch - the room we were in didn't have windows that opened, and I knew that some did, even if every so slightly, and I wanted to be able to hear the sounds of the harbor! Never fear - I called the front desk and they said there was an identical room right next door, and they moved us immediately.

That night we ordered dinner from their more casual restaurant and my husband said it was the best clam chowder he ever had. I had also inquired about staying a third night with Debbie, and she sent me a nice note back saying she would extend the rate. She was working at night so I never did get to meet her, but based on our phone conversations and notes, I felt like I knew her, or at least I knew that she was taking care of us as a guest.

The decor was beautiful, and the housekeeping staff was great as well as the bellhops, just everyone! We also both were able to use the pool, which is huge, and the whirlpool which was the best I was ever in (really hot and big). My husband also sprung for the deep tissue massage that was really something. It's so easy to get to the spa, you just take the elevator straight down without having to walk around the hotel in your swimsuit - that was a little plus I really liked.

Finally, the location is really nice.....very central to everything, including the wonderful new greenway that was marvelous for walking the dogs, but not as busy and crazy as the scene down by the Marriott LongWharf where we took the cruise. On the cruise I was able to see the location of the Residence Inn, and it looked very nice, but not like the view from the Boston Harbor Hotel.

Now I'm spoiled - if I ever go to Boston again, I'm going to want to splurge for this hotel!!! I can't recommend it enough.

3  Thank BB4th
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Harborside Hotel for a wedding this pass weekend. My,was I was empressed with the staff from checking in to house cleaning to the wait staff at the restaurants. We had a wonderful dinner at the Meritage on friday nite. We both ordered the Chefs tasting and Wine Pairing. What a wonderful experiance with a wonderful view of the Harbor. I would highly recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed here August 7-13 with our two older children. We had a beautiful suite with a terrace overlooking the harbor. If you can possibly manage it, book a room with a balcony overlooking the harbor. The view was unbelievable. The employees were very service oriented and attentive. The location is within walking distance to a lot of places. Our rooms were clean and comfortable and every night they brought cookies and milk to the room which was unexpected but a nice touch. Two of the nights they had a band playing til about 10 pm down along the harbor directly below the hotel. I was able to sit out on the terrace to enjoy the music and it was wonderful but I think if I hadn't been able to do that, the noise would have bothered me. The only complaint I have is that we were not able to get the room as cool as we like. It was on the warm side sometimes, even after calling the "engineer" to have him check out the unit. I think the units are just not designed for real warm weather or that large of a space.
Overall, it was a great experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2008

Stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel for a family wedding on August 9th. Drove up from Connecticut and from the moment we handed our car over to valet, it was a wonderful experience. We had called a few weeks prior to request an early check in and not only were we allowed to check in early, our room was upgraded. Staff was professional, friendly and accommodating. For instance, when I got to my room I realized I had left my cell phone in the car and valet got my phone and delivered it to my room. Other little touches were nice too - like the bowls of fresh apples that greeted you on every floor across from the elevators (they were filled with hard candies in the evening), to the doormen handing you chilled water as we left the hotel for home. Hotel was very clean and beautifully decorated. The wedding was held at the hotel as well (in the Wharf Room) and it was top notch. Food was excellent - beyond our expectations. Although we didn’t have a room that faced the harbor, we had a lovely view of the surrounding buildings and the greenway. The hotel was very quiet - we didn’t hear the usual slamming doors and running water that you do in some hotels. In a word the bed was DIVINE. The turn down service was nice and we enjoyed the complimentary slippers and use of the bathrobes during our stay. There is a water taxi at the hotel and for $10 a person the water taxi will deliver you across the harbor to Logan airport.

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We booked a room at the BHH for a Thursday night in early August.

Greeted by the valet and doorman.
The front desk staff was efficient.

When I was told that I had a city view room (this isn't a bad view by the way, even though I'm sure a water view is considered better), I asked about an upgrade to a water view room.

I was told that none were available, but they could upgrade me to a Jr. Suite city view. It was an offer I couln't refuse. Room 831.

14' and 3' entry hall (4.5 meters x 1 meter approx).

Nice, spacious marble bathroom with good water pressure in the shower. There was a vanity/makeup area adjacent to the bathroom. 7' x 5'.

The bedroom was decorated Laura Ashleyi-sh according to my wife. The pillowtop mattress was just right. Same for the pillows.
Bedroom size was a normal 12' x 10' (4 x 3 meters approx).

Separating the livingroom from the bedroom was an arch, so the LR and BR had no real separation. This area was 9' x 4'.

The livinngroom was spacious and comfortable. 12' x 15'.

If size matters to you, a Jr. Suite is the way to go.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We had stayed here a few years ago and really thought it was a beautiful hotel. So, based on our previous experience, we decided we would stop over for two nights at the hotel before making our way to Cape Cod. The hotel is in a good location, but looks as if management is cutting corners. The hotel gets a great deal of traffic, and it shows. The room used for the breakfast buffet and evening cocktails is a bit shabby, overcrowded, and not that clean.

Worst of all, and to our dismay, the hotel is "pet friendly". Pets can be quite wonderful (we have our own), but please leave them at home! We booked two rooms for two nights (over $1,000 per night). One room smelled like a cat had been in it, and neglected to use the cat box! The other room had pet hair on the bed and all over the carpet! I do give the hotel credit for being responsive. We were given a small suite to replace the horrible smelling first room, and the room with pet hair was eventually better cleaned and clothes that had picked up pet hair were laundered by the hotel at no charge to us. But, it took a day and half before anyone at the hotel even admitted that it was "pet friendly"! We just kept thinking how strange it was that someone had an animal in their room! Really, is that what anyone expects from a so called five-star hotel? We spent so much time when we first checked in dealing with problems, that the entire stay was really ruined. Again, when we complained, the staff was helpful, but not what I would call overly apologetic for such unacceptable conditions.

This hotel clearly is banking on the fact that its location on the harbor is enough to compensate for its shortcomings. And if you stay here, I recommend you ask for a room that hasn't accomodated animals!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family