“The best experience yet”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Upstate New York
“The best experience yet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2008

We stayed at the Boston Harbor Hotel for three nights. We had a junior suite facing the harbor. This property is magnificent, and extremely well managed. Every single person who works in the hotel and with whom we interacted was extremely professional, knowledgeable and courteous.
The room was well appointed and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was spacious and provided quality toiletries. Every time we needed any type of room service, it was fast and efficient.
It was an overall superior experience.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank Frilo68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

I normally stay at the InterContinental but it was full for two days of my stay so I tried the Boston Harbour. I was very pleasantly surprised despite some of the mixed reviews on the site. The hotel is very elegant and I believe marketed at a well heeled, older crowd. The furnishings – darker wood, elaborate carpets and Oriental furniture pieces suggested this to me. Late night check-in was painless with a bell man waiting to take my suitcase from the curb; check-in paperwork already pre-prepared and 24 hour room service if I was hungry. The room was nicely prepared for a midnight arrival with one lamp on; bed turned down and a nice stereo playing classical music. The room was very good and an interesting layout with a hallway, powder area leading to a bathroom and a separate living area. This layout gave a very large feeling to the room and it was shame I couldn’t enjoy it for a longer period of time – had no time to even sit in the living area. The room had a very nice flat screen tv; large clock radio with excellent stereo; an additional TV in the living area and was spotlessly clean. Biggest complaint about the room was the noise. The ‘hallway’ area within the room leading from the door is ceramic/marble. This conducts the noise very well from the doorway which is a relatively thin door with a gap. One can easily hear people passing in the hall and especially when doors are slammed. There were at least two occasions when I checked the door was actually closed! When someone was knocking at a neighbouring door I had to check that it was not my own. There was one occasion when I actually thought someone had entered my room but it was the noise of people moving in next door.

Hotel gyms are important to me. This facility at the Harbour was quite good but definitely not as good as the InterConti. To start with the InterConti manages to keep its gym open 24 hours – not sure why the Harbour can’t do the same. They seem to have a large staff at the facility and perhaps staff cost is a reason but for your average business person, personal trainers and other advisors are not required. Equipment is good although a bit on the 90’s side but all had mini televisions hooked up. Lots of free weights and good stationary equipment but not the top of the line range.

Main restaurant which is an upmarket café of some sorts was quite good for breakfast although a bit noisy. Serving staff was excellent and I enjoyed some privacy at the breakfast bar. Breakfast menu was very good and quite reasonably priced for a hotel at this level. I ate across the street at an Italian restaurant recommended by the Concierge – Umbria – very good. Nice change from hotel food which looked a bit poncy and over priced.

Overall, an excellent hotel; great staff; free wifi in my room (either intentional or broken) was a very pleasant surprise – ironically, the more expensive a hotel is, the more likely they are to gouge you on wifi. Would definitely stay here again but the Interconti down the street is a bit more my style.

I would like to have seen in room recycling and at least the illusion that the environement was cared for with a policy on "towel on floor or hang-up" option.

• Liked — staff and interesting room layout
  • Disliked — furnishings were nice but not really my style
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank BusyFlyingAround
Concord, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2008

My wife, two children and I stayed at the Boston Harbor hotel for one night, the day after Thanksgiving. All in all, it was terrific. The location is great. Nice water views, and easy walking access to many Boston downtown and tourist destinations.

We shared one corner room on the top floor, which had great City views, a small patio, and a partial water view. The room was beautifully decorated and furnished - colorful curtains, elegant but comfortable chairs, good bed mattresses, a small dressing area, and reasonably spacious bathroom.

Had a good breakfast at the waterview cafe restaurant on the first floor. We enjoyed the casual seating arrangement, which consisted of two easy chairs and a small couch in a U-shape around the table. The food was good- nothing extraordinary, but tasty nonetheless and a great setting.

My kids loved the pool and hot tub. I've stayed at many hotels with pools, and thought this one was one of the best. It was much less hot and humid in the pool area than you usually get with an indoor pool. Nice temperature, lots of pool toys and kickboards available for the kids, but also lanes for adult swim. Very large hot tub.

The staff were friendly and helpful throughout the hotel, from the bellman to the waiters and others as well.

We have stayed at the Four Seasons on the Public Gardens, which is also very nice, but all in all I think the Boston Harbor Hotel is just as nice (or nicer), just as well managed, with just as good service, comparable views, and better rooms, for a better price.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Granite_Stater
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

Stayed here for a couple of nights in November. Very well appointed and great staff. Good room with a great view. The water taxi to the airport is a big plus. Would stay here again.

Stayed November 2007
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2007

This is a very nice property. I stayed here for a conference and was given a room overlooking the water (I belong to the frequent guest club that the hotel belongs to) and the room was clean, very comforatable and nicely decorated. I appreciated the long hallway from the door to the sleeping area since it blocked some noise. I must say though that the plumbing from adjoining or nearby rooms was a little on the loud side. The staff I interacted with were very professional, helpful and pleasant. It is convenient to Faneuil Hall, but perhaps not readily apparent becasue of the various streets to be crossed to get there - it isn't particularly scenic out front of the hotel. But, Boston is small and a lot is walkable, or reachable in short order by cab. I would stay at this property again.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank vlfrance
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

We were thoroughly disappointed. The hotel feels like it has passed its prime and seems to survive on high prices, misguided guests and large functions. When paying the prices that the hotel charges, you expect a certain level of luxury. However, the decor is chintzy and rough around the edges, as if trying to dazzle the customer so they gloss over the structure of the hotel, like poor paint finishes, slamming doors, elementary bathrooms, ageing bedroom furniture, antiquated TV/internet/entertainment systems and service that pretends to be high class. Admittedly the views are good and their spa is worth a visit, but you can enjoy either without staying a night. Avoid it -- unless you have too much money and no taste!

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jahl2001
NY/NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2007

We recently spent a weekend at the Boston Harbor Hotel and booked our stay through the Disney Vacation Club. We had never been to Boston before and wanted to stay somewhere in a central location convenient to attractions. Well this hotel was perfect for that! We loved it and would definitely stay there again.

The location was great since it was in a short walking distance to Fanueil Hall, the Aquarium, the whale watching tours and ferry’s, Chinatown and the downtown financial district. The service there was amazing. The concierge was very helpful even before we got there. I had contacted them regarding a map of the area and they e-mailed me one right away. They were helpful and knowledgeable about the area when we asked them about certain activities once we got to Boston as well.

The hotel staff was courteous and held the doors open for you when you left and arrived back to the hotel. That made us feel like VIP’s. Coming back at night there was a staff member at the elevators asking to see our room key, which made us feel very safe that they had that kind of security. (Even though at no time did we feel threatened at all). The hotel store in the lobby has some cute Boston memorabilia, not much but what they did have was good quality. The rooms were really nice. They only had harbor view rooms when we made the reservation and the view was amazing. We would just stand at the window and stare out to the water each morning. From there you can see the ferry’s taking off and coming in, sailboats floating by and small boats bobbing in the water all around.

The room we stayed in was immaculate and nicely laid out. It had a flat screen TV and a DVD player. They had a fully stocked mini bar and snacks, but we didn’t take advantage of that. They also had other small details such as with the ice bucket came glasses and a wine opener. Our room also came with a nice plush robe and slipper for our use during our stay. A nice touch was the turn down service that we got each night around 9pm. They set up a small cloth at each side of the bed with the slippers tied with a ribbon around them. They also leave a small bottle of Fiji water on each nightstand with a glass and put the alarm clock radio on a soothing sounds station. The toiletries that are in the bathroom smell amazing and are for sale in the lobby store and the apples and mints left on the elevator hall table came in handy when running out to go sightseeing. Everything about the hotel felt luxurious.

Although we didn’t eat at any of the restaurants we did have a drink at the bar by the lobby. It was small, but very nice and was a step away from the back doors that went right out onto the harbor. All in all it was a great hotel that I would highly recommend.

Stayed October 2007