“Loved the location & Staff BUT Barking dogs are permitted”

Boston Harbor Hotel
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I loved the hotel for its location and room decor. The staff was considerate and helpful. However to my shock & amazement this fairly expensive hotel allows dogs. We were located in a room next to a dog that barked incessantly at dinner time and early morning, perhaps when the owners left the room. The Front desk manager confirmed that dogs are permitted and placed in rooms throughout the hotel. There are NO dog-free floors. So if you are allergic or a light sleeper you might be careful.
I would have rated this hotel higher if they told me about the pet policy so I could get a room far away from barking dogs. As a result there was little or no value for the money.

Room Tip: Confirm how close your room is to a pet
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bustravel11950
rgustin, General Manager at Boston Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2011

Although we are a pet-friendly hotel, we do not expect our guests to endure the type of disturbance that you experienced. Thank you for bringing this incident to our attention. Your feedback has been very constructive in helping our staff identify ways in which we can better accommodate all of our guests. Know that we are taking actions which will prevent this type of occurrence from happening to our guests in the future.

Please allow us to convey our deepest apologies that your stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel did not meet your expectations. Again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with details about your visit to our property.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,969)

Reviewed April 5, 2011

My wife and I wanted a short getaway close to home and decided on the Boston Harbor Hotel. I had booked a city view deluxe room, but when we checked in we got bumped up to a city view suite. The room felt like a small apartment. There was a sitting room with a 42" plasma TV and comfortable couch. The bedroom was on the corner of the hotel and had a stunning view of Boston. One of the best nights sleep I've had in a while. Room service was also top notch. Not only was delivery always pleasant, but the quality of the food was as good as any upscale restaurant. From top to bottom this hotel gets a big thumbs up.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
rgustin, General Manager at Boston Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

We are very flattered that you chose Boston Harbor Hotel as your destination for a close to home, short getaway. It was our pleasure to upgrade your accommodations, we’re so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed In Room Dining, as we take great pride in the quality of our guest's dining experience. We hope you’ll visit again soon for another good night’s rest. We appreciate the big thumbs up!

Reviewed April 1, 2011

Would stay here again; staff is excellent and hotel is gorgeous.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
rgustin, General Manager at Boston Harbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2011

Boston is a beautiful city and we’re delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at Boston Harbor Hotel. Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed at the Harbor Hotel in March 2011 as a friend was having a wedding there. The wedding ceremony was beautiful in the Atlantic Room, and the reception that followed was excellent.

We only stayed on night in the hotel, but everything was great. Bed turned down when we came back, bathroom large and roomy and clean.

Normally, there is "always' some minor detail that you can recommend the hotel change to make the stay there more enjoyable. This time there was absolutely nothing to complain about, Everything was in order, and it was clear the hotel staff worked to make sure there was nothing to complain about. Everyone very friendly.

I will say that the Harbor Hotel is not cheap. However I cannot say whether there are any alternatives in downtown Boston which would offer the same level of service as we don't get to travel too much. I loved the place, but it is expensive.

I will say it is worth the price!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Best wishes to the bride & groom! We take great pride in creating a distinctive and memorable setting for those unforgettable events, so we are truly flattered by your compliments on the wedding, our staff and the hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience of the Boston Harbor Hotel. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

My son and daughter-in-law invited us to spend the a weekend with them in Boston and we jumped at the chance even though we had a late Friday night event and would have to drive up from NJ after 8PM. We arrived at about 12:30AM to a quiet lobby. When they staff saw us everything jumped into motion. The valet was there in an instant. The bell cap took our bags and we in our room in 10 mintues. The staff was amazing. The room was overlooking the harbor and since this was a wine/dinner package we got a nice room. Evern with Logan in the background we could not hear any jet noise which was a pleasant surprise. The barbor view was amazing as it always it whenever we get to Boston. We ordered breakfast in the next morning, again fantastic. We went down later in the day for Bloody Marys at the bar and they as well as the bartender were great. Here is where it starts to go bad. The Dinner which was supposed to be upscale but turned downward. The service was not good even though everyone was friendly, at one point I had to ask a bus boy to remove our plates even though the station was right next to our table and we had finnished quite awhile ago. The food was not hot when it arrived and the wine was not explained in any great detail or for that matter was not that good for a wine paring dinner package. The table next to us must have known the manager since they at times had 4 people around a table of six and took a tour of the kitchen. What I would say is stay at the hotel but eat in the North End. It is much better and fuggettaboutit, better priced!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Although many aspects of your experience at the Boston Harbor Hotel were exceptional, it seems that we did not attain that during the wine pairing event. We will share your comments with our staff and management to gain a better understanding and reinforce the high standards of service we strive to achieve at the Boston Harbor Hotel. Thank you for bringing these points to our attention, and we hope to exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2011

I had a very enjoyable stay here this past week. Rooms were spotless and service was second to none. Room price was a little high but you get every penny of what you pay for. I will stay here every time I visit Boston.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the our property. We are delighted to gain a new member of our special circle of returning guests of the Boston Harbor Hotel .

Reviewed March 8, 2011

After some mixed luck with some of the Boutique hotels in Boston I opted for something that was five star and had review which raved about service rather then a gitchy lobby or iPod docks in the rooms.

The old expression goes that "you get what you pay for" and in the case of the Boston Harbor I paid a bit more then those Back Bay Boutiques and received service from the staff which was ten fold that of the price difference between the hotels.

The greeting at the door was excellent and friendly; The doormen know the city and were a very valuable resource during my stay in Boston.

The lobby itself has a typical five star hotel charm to it; an attempt to look old world which offers a traditional classic type of charm.

The check in process was excellent; my room was already assigned my requests were filled and I had a wonderful dinner recommendation and directions within a few moments. Its rare that in today's day and age you actually get a concierge who truly knows the ins and outs of a city without having to go to some pre-bookmarked website in order to give the guests a recommendation.

I was asked what sort of dinner fare I was seeking, I made three general comments and was given three different restaurant suggestions off the top of his head with recommendations at each.

Now THAT is a concierge.

Note: The hotel bar has one of the most extensive scotch selections I have ever tried, not to be missed.

The rooms themselves were very nicely done; they felt like they belonged in a high end hotel, however I am rarely a sucker for decor.

The bed was wonderful, the TV was large, and the water pressure in the shower was great.

Nothing but positive things, if you want service and comfort this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business