“Convenient, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chandler Inn

Chandler Inn
Ranked #65 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New England
“Convenient, clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Spent a Friday night in October at the Chandler. My room (306) was small, but ample for just myself. Spotless bathroom, Nice room with wide window and nice view of street. VERY comfortable bed and nice clean sheets and linens. HDTV with plenty of local and satellite/cable channels via DirecTV. Very friendly front desk clerk who knew where to go for local activities. My only complaint, which isn't really the hotel's, is the lack of parking. Most streetside parking in the immediate area is for local South End residents only. I did park in a vacant spot, and saw the sign, but figured I would take a chance;. Next morning there was a $40 ticket on my windshield. But that was my doing, and considering the price to park at a couple of local garages, and the distance from the hotel, I actually thought it was a bargain!!
Chandler is very convenient to South End/Back Bay activities; an easy walk.
Highly recommended, but reserve early. I had been trying since July to get a room here and they were booked solid. Only a couple of days before my visit was i able to find a vacancy by chance at 2AM on their website.
One other note. The Chandler is located above Fritz bar, which tends to be quite popular on weekends. When they close at 2AM, you may hear somenoise! It woke me up, but wasn't especially loud, and didn't last long.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank versdeguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Chandler Inn was a welcome change from my last Boston hotel, the horrific Boston Common Hotel. Unlike the BCH, the Chandler's Inn website gave a pretty accurate description of what we would find in this budget-friendly boutique hotel.

Our room was very clean. The sheets on the bed seemed a bit worn, but they were laundered. The room was small, but it had everything that we needed. It also looked sleek and modern.

The staff was very helpful in directing us to where we needed to go.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. The South End is a great neighborhood to explore, with lots of beautiful brownstones and little restaurants. It seemed like a quiet place where lots of young professionals and older people live. I also couldn't help but notice that the South End had a larger-than-expected gay male population, so if you're looking for gay-friendly I think you're in luck. We found it really easy to walk from the hotel over to Back Bay. In fact, we were in town to attend a concert at Symphony Hall, and the hotel was barely a fifteen walk to our pre-symphony dining destination on Huntington Ave.

You could also easily walk to this hotel from the Back Bay train station. Parking is a bit of an issue though. The hotel doesn't offer it, although that's pretty typical of boutique hotels, but we had no trouble parking our car at the garage located at 100 Clarendon Street.

I also liked that I was able to open the window, which is rare in a hotel these days. So, there was fresh air when we wanted it.

I did have one problem with the room, although in retrospect I could have at least partially fixed the issue. The lights. There was too much lighting in the room at night. The shade did not come all the way down to the window sill, so light seeped in there. I put an extra blanket beneath the shade in an effort to solve that problem. Around the major light switch were little orange lights that remained on at all times. That created a glow, which was then further reflected by the giant full-length mirror. I stood a long, cylinder-shaped, decorative pillow against the wall and the light switch in order to block that light. The alarm clock/iPod dock was as bright as a set of parking lights. We could at least easily shove that into the drawer of the bedside table. After I did all that, I was left with the green light that came from the air conditioning/heating unit on the wall. That lit up the whole bed with a faint green light that was significant enough to create shadows. I didn't realize until the next morning that I could have simply shut off the entire unit and turned off the green light that way. Had I know that, I think I would have slept a little better.

All in all, I would definitely stay at the Chandler Inn again. I stayed in a nice room in a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Citizen_of_Amherst
Bangor, Northern Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Expensive compared to UK prices and even compared to Dublin for what it is but conveniently located and clean. Staff are helpful and friendly with free wifi in rooms, IPod docking station etc it has everything you need. Nearby Tremont Street has lots of good places to eat.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed for one night prior to flying out of boston. The bar downstairs was not as loud as i thought it may be. May be louder on the weekend. Very clean rooms, recently renovated and friendly staff. I would definatly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank CaptinKirk
Whitehorse Yukon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The staff at Chandler Inn were great - very friendly, good location, and the room was nice and clean - my only criticism is that it was quite expensive for what it was. For this type of Inn in most other cities - especially in the shoulder season, I would expect to pay substantially less than what it cost to stay here. However, that said - I didn't see a lot of other options in Boston - guess it is an expensive city when it comes to accommodation...

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for a bit of a view - on the corner is the best!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We really liked the Chandler Inn: we were welcomed by friendly staff, the room was really nicely decorated and spotlessly clean and it's on a really nice street within easy walking distance of Boston. We had room 208, which is a corner room, and as a result we got quite a lot of noise from the street (and on Saturday night a lot of noise when the bar underneath the hotel closed and people left - although it's not the kind of bar you hear the rest of the time).
You might recognise the street from the film Ted - it's a residential street and a really nice area to stay in. There were two places for breakfast round the corner on Berkley - one looks nicer than the other but don't be put off the further one, they do the most fabulous blueberry pancakes. There's also a laundromat one block away on Appleton which was really handy for a mid-trip wash.
Whilst in Boston make sure you have proper walking shoes as it's easy to get lost!

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms as you'll get noise from two streets.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple