We had a table of four on August 10th and had one of our worst dining experiences in 20 years. After our son discovered a fairly sized cockroach in his burger in disgust, the waitress couldn't believe her eyes and literally jumped back. His dinner was over as was almost ours though we didn't have any issues with the other dishes we had ordered but were questioning about the kitchen hygiene and how this could ever have happened.
We barely received an apology and were even more surprised when we received the bill, half of the burger price was accounted for! We had to complain we would not pay a cent for the burger and got an acid OK from the waitress as if we were wrong arguing. Come on, you find a cockroach in your meal and you have to pay for having taken two bites of it? This is big joke and very unprofessional.
Last but not least, we then received the bill already including a 20% gratuity. I accept gratuities are important in the US, but would not expect a restaurant to enforce it. It's up to the customer to decide how much he wants to give for the service received. We were so upset and paid whatever was presented to us. After thought, we should have complained one more time. We travel the world and have never seen such a rude service that lacks any empathy towards the client.
The place seemed correct and was packed with people, so this may have been an exception story but we wanted to share our terrible experience at the Navy Yard Bistro.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.