“Great food, good location, friendly staff”
Review of Hillstone Restaurant - CLOSED

Hillstone Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: For nearly 10 years, Hillstone has been serving American classics, sushi, and some of the best value Prime USDA steaks in the city-all prepared from scratch daily, with the highest quality ingredients available. Along with our crafted and exceptional value wine list, our menu offers something for everyone. Located at the edge of the financial district, Hillstone offers a sleekly designed space, appointed with mahogany hardwoods, cozy leather booths, and an impressive island bar with floor to ceiling windows. We are located at the intersection of 60 State Street and Congress, adjacent to Faneuil Hall. We validate parking for up to 2 hours for the 60 State Street garage Monday through Friday for guests who enter the garage after 3:30pm, and during all business hours Saturday and Sunday. The 60 State Street garage is located on Merchants Row off of State Street.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

What more can I say...came here on my first night in Boston on business with a couple of colleagues. It's next to Fanueil Hall which is a bit touristy but this place isn't at all.

It's busy - we were told there was a 15 minute wait for dinner so we took some seats at the bar and were served nice drinks by a friendly bar lady. Only 10 minutes or so later we were shown to our table.

We shared the starter between us - spinach and egg plant dip with tortillas. I'd be lying if I said it sounded appetising, but a colleague chose it. But it was lovely - I'd definitely have it again.

They had the crab cakes (both reporting they were delicious). I had a fillet steak, which was a little over seasoned, but still very nice.

The service was good. I don't know whether it's a US thing (as it happened in a couple of places during the trip), but the bill was brought to the table without us being asked whether we wanted anything else. This is a pet hate of mine as, even if we weren't going to have anything it kind of hangs there over the rest of dinner. I don't know whether they heard me say something to my colleagues, but having pushed the bill to the edge of the table, another server asked whether we'd asked for the bill and then apologised for it having been brought, so the fact that they were attentive about it, actually more than makes up for the initial faux pas and shows how good the service was.

The food's on the slightly pricey side ($30+ for most mains) but still good value. Well worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for Hillstone Restaurant

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Outstanding atmosphere, great food and wonderful servers made this an exceptional experience. We were running a little bit late and had a smaller party then we reserved the table for. The restaurant accommodated us very nicely. Sat outside and listened to a band while we ate our meal.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was travelling with friends and we stumbled upon this restaurant for a late dinner. We had never heard of it. The service was great, the atmosphere was nice and the art on the walls was charming. The only thing that we could complain about were the seats, you sink into them and feel very small :) but then the food came and oh my god it was fantastic. I had a fillet steak, medium rare and it was perfect. It melted in my mouth and the seasoning was perfect. Best steak I have ever had and I have had steak at restaurants all over Europe and the US. My husband had sushi and was very happy with it, our friends had a veggie burger and thai noodles or something like that. Everyone was happy with their food and the price was not that bad. Will definitely go again if I go back to Boston. Great experience.

1  Thank Gudrun T
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I tried this restaurant on a Boston local's recommendation and was not disappointed at all! Although the recommendation to me was to try the burgers I decided to give the sushi a try as I am a big sushi fan and it was an excellent decision!

The rolls had very unique flavours and styles, I was extremely comfortable enjoying my dinner all on my own and was provided with excellent service for a lone diner! :) This is definitely on my list of recommendations for anyone visiting Boston and on my list of favorite restaurants!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

The odd but pleasant subterranean space inhabited by Hillstone Restaurant has been home to a number of decent but not particularly memorable restaurants over the years. The latest incantation is a decent-plus interpretation of a bistro, with outdoor seating over looking the bustling plaza in front of Faneuil Hall, a good-sized bar area, and a cool, dark dining room of comfortable booths that somehow just manages to avoid feeling cavelike, falling more on the cozy/intimate side of the scale.

The menu and wine/beer list are relatively limited, but everything offered seemed carefully considered. My wife had a special seafood dish, Bronzini crusted with nuts. My son enjoyed the simple Prime Rib, my daughter a burger and I the ahi burger. It was all pretty good, and came with attentive but unobtrusive service (we tried the neighboring Anthem Kitchen the next night and found the food even better, though Hillstone wins on style points; you pays your money and you takes your choice).

Hillstone offers a cool oasis in a bustling tourist area of Boston, and deserves a long look if you find yourself in Quincy Market and environs at dinnertime.