“An off night...”

Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Neighborhood: West Roxbury / Hyde Park / Roslindale
Neighborhood: West Roxbury / Hyde Park / Roslindale
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed many a meal at The Corrib in West Roxbury. We have never had a bad meal there until tonight.

The restaurant is a favorite of mine because of the seafood served there. I love the baked stuffed shrimp, swordfish and the baked scallops. Tonight I ordered the baked scallops and my streak of good luck came to a screeching halt.

My first bite tasted a little "off". I took another and then as I was cutting into another one I noticed they weren't cooked thoroughly. I brought it to the attention of the waitress and she immediately returned them to the kitchen. The only problem was my vegetable and potato were left behind to get cold at the table.

She returned about 8-10 mins later with the casserole dish. The top (bread crumbs) were definitely browned. The scallops were browned more on the top The waitress checked back to make sure they were ok.

The problem was I lost my appetite. I wasn't willing to risk eating them. Luckily my husbands chicken parm and ziti were spot on as usual.

Our waitress offered a replacement meal but we opted for the check. The scallops returned to the kitchen to be tossed and the charge was taken off our check.

This experience will not stop us from returning to The Corrib however I will rethink my fish choice.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family and I go to the Corrib regularly and enjoy it very much. However, this past Saturday (the day before Father's Day) we went and were sorely disappointed with either the laziness of the manager (I'll get into WHY this could be an option) or the awful policy they have. I and another in the party ordered the Lazy Mans Lobster, which is a lobster casserole. The breading was burned to the point of having black areas, but we still decided to give it a try. It was beyond horrendous. The lobster was so overcooked, that the tail meat I picked up was curled into a circle and the meat was completely dried and fanned out. The more solid pieces were reminiscent of overcooked chicken. When the waitress came back, we informed her that is was very overcooked and we would both just have the filet and shrimp instead. When the bill came, we were informed that the manager told her that is how they cook it and they don't comp when you order a new dish. It didn't matter that the dish we both replaced with was LESS expensive. We were made to pay the price of the disgusting food we returned. So either the manager just didn't feel like making the adjustment or this is the worst restaurant policy I have ever heard of. I have worked in many restaurants and have never heard something so absurd. It wasn't the extra $3 we each had to pay that we had a problem with, it was the principle of it. If that is "how (they) cook it", they cook it wrong, plain and simple. It was absolutely awful, I cannot express that enough. This experience literally and figuratively left a very bad taste in my mouth. West Roxbury has a LOT of restaurants to choose from. Why would you return to a restaurant that doesn't value it's customers enough to make a slight adjustment to the bill when the food they were served was inedible? Very disappointed to say the least.

6  Thank EmP79
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Admittedly, we go to the Corrib a fair bit, especially during football season when we can sit at a high top with our 4 year old and watch the game in a fun, safe atmosphere while having a bite to eat. The waitresses are always very sweet to my daughter and the service is always great. Our most recent trip was for Mother's Day. Although very busy, we seemed to get there in between waves (with no reservation!), and we didn't have to wait long. My husband and I both got the Filet Mignon and stuffed shrimp. The Filet was cook PERFECTLY. Absolutely delicious. The shrimp, in my opinion, had a bit too much stuffing, but the flavor was nice. I have also noticed in past visits that they changed the mozzarella sticks and the new ones aren't nearly as good. I mentioned it to the waitress and she said it seems to be a common feeling. Not sure why they are keeping those, but the stuffed mushrooms and potato skins are always a good bet! And if your little one asked for a whole bunch of cherries on their sundae, a whole bunch they will get! :)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I have had breakfast in here a few times and it is always good. I am a vegetarian so the Corrib usually accommodates me with fried eggs, irish beans, fried tomato, mushrooms and toast. Instead of dinner tonight we decided to go and have our usual 'fry-up' and told the waitress what I would normally have. To my amazement i was given, 2 fried eggs, irish beans, toast, brocolli, squash, sliced tomatoes green beans and refried beans !

Sorry the Corrib, you have lost us

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Corrib was once a place we aimed for when in the neighborhood. Now it would be a last minute place if all else fails. It has suffered from I don't know what but lately we would not recommend it at all. The last 2 times (September 2012) we have eaten there we were greeted by total silence upon arrival and were shown to our table with not one word from the hostess. Not a word. Food was not hot either time and the service, while friendly, was sporadic. The prices are fair if the food is good so that is a problem. Seems as if they have a captive audience (many elderly) and are going through the motions. Too bad...

Been to Corrib Pub and Restaurant? Share your experiences!