“Can't beat the price or location”

The Boston Christopher
Ranked #18 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Two friends and I went for a convention. Found this place on hotels.com and it was in a perfect location for an extremely good price. As noted in other reviews, you do have to climb stairs as there is no elevator. Other than that, we had no complaints. Very nice apartment. Two of us slept in the bedroom and the other slept on the couch. Now . . . it said it would sleep four; however, if we had one more person there would have been an issue because I don't know anyone who could have slept on that fold out bed. The mattress was think and warped and a metal bar would have been jammed in your back all night. Since there were only three of us, this didn't pose an issue. Everything else was perfect. Nice neighborhood with plenty of places to eat. Easy walking distance of convention center and subway station. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 28, 2013

came to boston for fun and to catch up with a couple friends for a weekend. Found the Boston Christopher by accident. Was looking for a Hotel in Back Bay but occupancy was limited and those that had rooms were extremely expensive… The process was pretty easy. Made the reservation online through inn boston reservations and received an email confirmation and access code which allowed me keyless access to the building and apartment. There was no front desk which made me question if I was in the right place at first, but units were clearly marked and hallway was well lit.

The 1 bedroom flat at The Christopher was well equipped, clean and comfortable – The unit had a kitchenette, nice furnishings, gas fireplace and was very sunny – roof deck was a surprise and plus – they should advertise the deck and rooftop grill more…. Super views of the city at dusk and at night – wow.

This option ended up being a great way for me to travel. My friends ended up hanging with me on the deck instead of at their place!!! All in all it was a very enjoyable stay. I will definitely come here again and will seek this style of accommodation in other cities.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Medeija
Reviewed September 24, 2013

A number of issues:
- I was aware that we had to go upstairs without an elevator so be prepared for that. We had to go up three flights of narrow stairs pulling suitcases.
-Wi-Fi is terrible. Continually drops you need to logon every time it comes back. Completely annoying and should not be happening with only 9 units and most unoccupied.
-there are no onsite staff and they do provide supplies. In our case, 1 roll of toilet paper for two people for six nights. I called their maintenance number and they certainly were not pleased that I dare ask for more toilet paper. Just hung up but they did deliver.
-they provide a basket of complimentary food items and it is probably the same for however many days you stay. Coffee was gone in no time. So I decided to make a request to them electronically. I told them about my experience calling maintenance, the poor Wi-Fi, a burnt out light and the request for coffee. I did this through their "Contact Us" form. No response and no action on the requests made.
-needs maintenance work. For example, there is a panel above the sink that looks ready to fall. Needs some better upkeep in general.
-there is no proper table to do any laptop work. Makes for an achy back. There is a table with two stools. Don't sit on the stools as the screws are coming out and you could take a header.

-the only positive note is the roof top deck.

We get the impression that they really don't care what you think once they have payment. Avoid this place especially since it costs $200 per night. You can get full service boutique hotels in the area for a similar price or one of the large chain hotels for similar.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GpKen
Reviewed September 24, 2013

First the good: cute rooftop patio, location okay but Boston is a very walkable City, nice neighbourhood, pillows and bed comfortable, my room came with an outside balcony and I kept the door open a lot to let cool air in, ceiling fan which I kept running for six days, kitchen adequate. Now the not so good: very tiny room for the price, bathroom old and dated, thin walls, the carbon monoxide detector started beeping in the middle of the night and with a twelve foot high ceiling it was precarious to get it down. Maintenance came the next day to fix it but it started beeping again so I permanently took it down (and shouldn't it be near the ground anyway as carbon monoxide is a heavy gas???). The airlines lost my luggage so it had to be delivered the following day so without a hotel lobby and no staff meant waiting outside for the courier (the courier couldn't phone me because her cell plan didn't allow for calls to Canadian cellphones) what a hassle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 3 unless you want a warm room, only one flight of stairs to climb, and can ea...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank corvette07
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First those people advertise with really cheap prices ($100-$150 per night) once you contact them they say that the thing you asked for isn't available anymore and they offer you something worse and much smaller for $350-$550 !!! My boyfriend insisted to go so we did and we were terribly disappointed. The apartment wasn't the same AT ALL than on the pictures, it was a totally different one and the bathroom was dirtier than in an hostel. We didn't even tried to contact them after that, we are tired of those people scamming, lying, pretending... This is the first time I write on TripAdvisor just to make sure that nobody else will loose its time with this kind of host.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JulienM217
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My plane was delayed and I arrived at The Christoper at 1:30 AM. The street was deserted and I had to call them for the code to enter. The entry opens directly to the stairs that were steep and dirty. My room was on the top floor. There is no elevator, if you have bad knees this is not for you. If someone attack you on those steep stairs there is no way to contact anyone! If you have little children ship this place; those stairs are very dangerous. I found my windows open with the blinds closed. I could not sleep because of banging sounds. I open the window curtains to find the window open and stuck. I could have walked into my room from the fire escape and at the same time someone could have entered my room from the fire escape!
On the positive side, the room was clean.
PC

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Pconteh
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights at the start of June. When I got into my room, it was unbearably hot. Called the main office (offsite) who said they would contact the guest who controlled the a/c for my floor (3 units on each floor share an a/c with the controls inside one of the suites). Called back an hour later to be told that the guest must not have checked in yet, and they would send someone over to turn the a/c down. Called after dinner to be told that the a/c must not be working and they were trying to contact the repairman. Requested a different room, but they said they were completely booked. To make a long story short, the a/c was not fixed for over 24 hours, during a heat wave. It was an extremely unpleasant experience. They did refund the night later.

Location was convenient, the Prudential Center was a short walk away, and there's a Trader Joe's nearby. The furnishing was acceptable and the price was reasonable. I'd recommend this building only if you are travelling in spring or fall, when you wouldn't expect to need heat or a/c. I'll pay more for a real hotel next time I visit Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 1, 4, or 7. They have the thermostat controlling heat & a/c for each floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo