“No sound insulation”

The Boston Christopher
Ranked #18 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

No sound insulation between units - you can hear every sound, every word. Never saw / hear anything like this. There was also a fridge which had to be plugged put at nite due to the amount of noise. Severely rationed tolietries.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Jelle71
There are newer reviews for The Boston Christopher

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Our friend booked this as a B&B, however, there was no breakfast at all!
The room was small...neighbors heard easily through the wall. The shower barely released enough water to get you wet! The refrigerator made lots of noise, and the bed was so uncomfortable that it gave me a backache!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank BruceMcA
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Given the high cost of this place, I would say it's not worth it. When I arrived (on a hot, humid august evening), I entered my studio to find it too hot to sleep in, and I also discovered that I couldn't control the AC from my own apartment (one of the other apartments controlled it!!) The apartment was clean, but not kept as clean as I'd expect at a hotel of a similar price. In addition, in the middle of my stay, they changed the code into my apartment all of a sudden, without clear reason! Last but not least, for some reason I kept getting telemarketers calling the phone number in the apartment. It wasn't an unbearable place to stay, but would've perhaps just spent a little more on a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank snap_pea
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed in two different units of the Boston Christopher during a recent conference. First a studio unit and then a one bedroom unit when my room-mate arrived. They sent the door codes in advance, which worked well. The walk to and from the convention center wasn't a problem-in fact it was quite delightful walking past a park and some very well-kept brownstones.

Studio (unit 9) was a third floor walk-up. The stairs are a bit steep, especially when hauling a large suitcase, a 4 ft long rolled up poster and a tote bag. The unit was immaculate, well-decorated, and cute. The kitchen was well appointed and came in handy for making tea and reheating leftovers for breakfast. The bed was comfortable and the internet worked beautifully. Size-wise it was only slightly larger than the typical hotel room. The only complaint I had was that there was no desk. Yes, there was a small table with two bar stools but it was too tiny to spread out on and bar stools aren't the best thing to sit on when you have some writing to do.

Unit 4 (one bedroom with pull out couch). It is beautifully decorated, spacious, overlooks the street and has a gas fireplace (which can be used in the winter). My roommate reported that the sofa bed was comfortable...the first night however, she had only a bottom sheet for the sofa bed, extra pillows off my bed and the extra blanket from the closet. We discovered the problem about 9 pm and there was only one staff person in the main office so she directed me to go to the laundry area and told me where they stored their extra clean linen. The only problem-the storage area was locked! My roommate made do with what we found in the room and the next day they provided a complete set of linen including extra pillow cases and pillows.

The breakfast area was larger than in the studio, but again you'd be stuck sitting on a bar stool if you wanted to do any work at the desk.

They called me a week or two before the conference and told me that they had double-booked the room I was supposed to stay in on Sunday night and offered me a free one-night stay in a two bedroom unit at one of their other properties. Staff members were very helpful in terms of storing our luggage and even gave us a late check out on the last day so we didn't have to drag our luggage over to their main office for storage in the rain.

Room Tip: If you don't want to haul your luggage up several steep flights of stairs, ask for a lower numbe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Stay dates: May 14 - 18, 2012
Minutes from Airport: Approx. 25min in traffic, cost $30 with tip
Check in and Unit Condition: Access code sent by email, entrance way was well lit with instructions on how to use the key pad. I arrived in the dark. I was in unit #2. Had to walk up one flight of stairs. There were 2 other units on my floor (#1 & #3)
Unit #2: Key pad entry to unit. Unit was clean and smelled nice. Larger than I thought it was going to be. It had nice high ceilings. This unit could not be individually adjusted for temperature. There was a ceiling fan and small portable fan. Window opened but was not screened. From bedroom you could access a small rooftop sitting area shared with unit #3. You could access the very top rooftop sitting area with BBQ. Beautiful view. Slept well most nights. Bed was fairly comfortable. Very little noise from street as this unit did not face the street like unit #1. Person staying in Unit #3 had their t.v. on a little too loud the first night. They checked out the next day and I did not here the new tenant's t.v. There are a lot of noises as to be expected in an old building. Creaking water pipes, floors etc. Again, this did not keep me awake. I was up early and left by 7:30am most days, came back at noon for lunch. Left again for conference, returning after 5:30pm. Did not spend a lot of time in the Unit. Internet access was great although at times when I was using Skype to talk to my children it was too slow for the video feed.
Surrounding area: Liquor store and 2 restaurants directly adjacent. Across the street was a convenience store. The surrounding area is beautiful and I enjoyed my walk to the Fairmont Copley Plaza for the conference. It took less than 10minutes. W. Newton, across the street took you to the Prudential Shopping Plaza, past St. Botolph Inn. The Hynes Convention Center could be accessed through this shopping center.
Conclusion: Would definitely stay in this unit again and recommend it to my friends. The hotels nearby are so expensive. By staying here I easily saved over $100/night. A few cons: Bath tub needs re-caulking and could have used some coat hooks at entrance way.

Room Tip: I would recommend unit 2 as it did not face the street like unit 1. Unit 2 also had direct access t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights over the st patricks weekend. We chose the studio apartment and got this for 89 dollars a night. You pay 50percent of your total stay when you book this apartment and the rest two weeks before you arrive. When we paid the final amount you receive the main door entrance codes and your room number with another entrance code.
From the airport you get on the courtesy bus to the blue line station( cost 2dollars each) and you transfer to the orange line at state street station and get off at Back bay station. It is then about a 5minute walk from the station to the apartment. It is 2 minutes walk from the prudental centre. Next door to the apartment is a wine shop and a restaurant. Opposite is a mini supermarket and dry cleaners. Also down the road is charlies sandwich shop and a few little restaurants. It is in a great location and walkable to newbury steet, waterfront,quincy market etc.

We were apartment number 6, on the 2nd floor(no lift). Double bed, shower and sink, toaster mini oven, 2 ring hob, kettle,coffee machine, 2 fridge freezers, cockscrews, utensils,plates,pans, iron,hairdryer,ironing board,spare quilts + pillows, 42 inch tv with cable and a mini snack basket( don't expect loads). It was all in clean condition.

There is a brillant roof top terrace with tables,chairs and a bbq. The views were lovely. There is a laundry in the basement and free wifi(perfect to find places to go and maps).

I would recommend it to anyone and felt safe at all times. Felt like I had my very own apartment and we loved it!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank flick86
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Excellent location for us to stay. Sadly we booked this room for just 3 days not knowing if we were defintely flying over to Boston which if we did would have been for 7 nights.
Room was right at the top and at the front. Well worth the price compared to hotel room rates for the inner city hotels.
Rooms are quite spacious, nice furniture and clean. Made good use of the free wireless internet. There is little noise from the main road below. It could do with an elevator aswell !
For the last 4 days we had to move out as the room was booked but the management of the Boston Christopher had an apartment spare but only a two bed apartment in Brecon Rd. Sadly that's where we didnt enjoy the rooms....

Room Tip: rooms at the front had a view if you were on the 3rd floor. Be prepared for a hard drag getting the...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple