“Best sushi ever!”
Review of O Ya

O Ya
Reserve with OpenTable
O Ya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #191 of 3,243 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Ave and South St
Transit: South Station on Red Line, Commuter Rail and Amtrak/Acela.
“Best sushi ever!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Well, I have to say South of France is quite poor for sushi. And this is a shame. As I am in Boston for business, and as it is a world-famous place for sea food, I thought about trying sushi around here. So TripAdvisor popped-up O Ya, and I went there! Small place, humble front windows, Very sober but that is a good point to me. Inside it was full of people but quiet, very cosy ambiance. I sat at the bar, in front of three sushi men / masters / gods ?... Not easy for a French guy to get all the subtle terms on the menu, but hopefully the waiter was explaining whatever I asked, and I asked a lot... Perfect, no other word! I never had this before, each piece was a masterpiece, very nicely done, amazing for the look and exploding in mouth for taste. A must-try place if you have the chance to be in Boston!

Kennebunkport, Maine
“YES!!!!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Ok, I am not one to write a review unless I like a place, not willing to waste the effort unless it was a huge disappointment. THIS IS THE BEST DINNER I HAVE HAD IN A REALLY LONG TIME!!!
I LOVED IT AND CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN...HOPEFULLY SOONER RATHER THAN LATER...Living in Maine with some very good restaurants in Portland, Kennebunk and Rockport, we have to think a bit before heading to Boston, just for dinner. This is a restaurant worth the time,effort and $$$. Amazing food and experience and I would highly recommend it to anyone. The tasting menu is the way to go, esp with the wine pairings. Thank you, Jonathan and Michal Shenkin for telling us about O Ya!

• Visited March 2014
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Food to die for!”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I are self-proclaimed foodies, and O Ya is not only one of the best restaurants in the greater Boston area, we think it’s one of the best restaurants anywhere in the world!

Nancy runs the front of the house and Tim runs the back of the house. The restaurant is located in an unlikely place in what’s called the Leather District in Boston (walking distance from South Station), but once you enter the door, you’re transported to a warm yet distinctly Japanese feeling environment. Considering this is some haute cuisine at the highest levels, Nancy is so personable and friendly that there is no pretentiousness at all. The food speaks for itself. Every morsel is a symphony. Generally, even in great restaurants, some dishes just sing out more than others. At O Ya, it’s the strangest thing, but every single dish is amazing in its own right and everything stands out – if you can believe that. Some of the only other places we’ve experienced that are French Laundry and Per Se. The fact that the turnover rate for the wait staff is so low also speaks volumes about how Nancy and Tim must treat everyone.

We don’t know where Nancy and Tim source their ingredients, but the Uni and all the fish seems like it was brought out of the ocean as we ordered our dishes. Generally, we’re purists and don’t like fusion. Not that the word fusion necessarily describes the food at O Ya, but there is a genius to how each plate is put together in terms of flavors and textures. Everything just goes together and makes sense on the palate.

O Ya is not inexpensive, but if you’re a foodie and appreciate perfection in your mouth, you have to go!

• Visited January 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Wow! Great dinning experience.”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Everything was delicious and artfully displayed. Every detail on the plates where perfectly placed and beautiful and If your like me and you also eat with your eyes this made for a fun meal. Yes the portions are small and expensive but what are expecting at a fine dinning restaurant. I had grilled salmon skin, diver scollop and went out on a lim and had venison tataki all delicious and paired well with saki. All in all I recommend and will be back.

• Visited February 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“The Very Best in Boston”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Yes, it's expensive. No, it, not for everyone. But you only live once. After four years of living in Boston, I keep coming to this place whenever I can. It's like a drug to me. I cannot find its flavors anywhere else. And now that I'm leaving this bo-o-o-oring city forever I've decided to leave it with the best possible taste in my mouth: a final visit to O Ya.

• Visited January 2014