“Culinary festival” 5 of 5 stars
Review of O Ya

O Ya
Reserve with OpenTable
O Ya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #134 of 3,123 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Ave and South St
Transit: South Station on Red Line, Commuter Rail and Amtrak/Acela.
reno
“Culinary festival”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

We each had the 17 course chefs sampler. Not once did I eat anything I had tasted at anytime in my life. Unbelievable culinary experience.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank kgrimm_1999

Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Restaurant in Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Wow! This is hands down the best restaurant in Boston. The atmosphere is lovely and low-key and the food is out of this world. We've been 3 times now for special occasions and it is fantastic! We've ordered the tasting menu each time and it has yet to disappoint. The waygu beef is to die for. The wine pairing is well thought out and a nice compliment to the tasting menu, but you can also order wine or sake by the bottle (our waiter did an excellent job of pacing the wine throughout the meal). Service has been very attentive each time. It's a very expensive meal, but one of the top 5 meals of my life. Definitely worth the splurge!

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Traveler9523
Longview, Washington
“Best Sushi Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I went with my husband and daughter to celebrate my daughter's graduation with her Masters Degree. It was an exceptional experience. We each had the Chef's tasting menu along with some superb sake choices. The food was fantastic, the service was perfect and the timing of the courses was exactly right. The prices are quite high but it is truly a unique experience not to be missed if you are a sushi lover. I can't think of a single course that wasn't out of this world.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Eleen K
Thornhill, Canada
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we found an unorganized very tiny room in what looked like a bad alley. However once seated we had service to die for, incredible wine and food that tasted from heaven! Highlights were the Arctic char that comes with smoke wafting in a steamer! The fois gras with chocolate that ended the meal and the wagu beef. My only issue with the restaurant was the $400.00 bill at the end. The prices are obscene. $17.00 for 2 tiny pieces of tuna sushi tells me someone is making too much money. $70 for 3-4 oz of wagu beef again is far too over priced. I'm glad I experienced this once but would not go back again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank choco_nut_9
Fountain Valley, California
“Best Meal of My Life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Thank you Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods host on the Travel Channel) for highlighting this restaurant as a Top Boston destination. This was hands down the best meal I've ever had in my life with a glorious second from my husband.

I will admit that the restaurant prices are exorbitantly high, but my husband recently reached an enormous milestone in his career so I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to taste one of Boston's finest as well as celebrate my husband's achievement. My hubby absolutely deserves the best and if professional chef Andrew Zimmern regarded O Ya as "The Best Restaurant in America," it must be ridiculously good.

I made reservations through OpenTable (unfortunately it doesn't count towards points) and eagerly anticipated the 17 course meal ($185 per person) currated to our perferances and diatery needs. I requested non-spicy dishes and san wasabi and here's what we were presented with...

FYI: The flavors and textures are a blur to me, so it's difficult to describe each dish as I was only able to savor that one bite. Regardless I highlighted the ones that were especially memorable with two stars though all of the dishes were delicous.

Prices reflect Ala cart pricing
1. Kumanoto Oyster**: watermelon pearls, cucumber mignonnette (market price)
2. Hamachi belly**: yuzu soy marinted santa barbara sea urchin ($18)
3. Salmon: unfilered wheater soy mormoi ($12)
4. Warm Eel: thai basil, kaboyaki, fresh kyoto sansho ($18)
5. Homemade fingerling potato chip: black winter truffle ($18)
6. Kohada Japanese baby mackerl: black olive puree aka shiso ($14)
7. Langoustine tempura: ao nori, spicy langoustine sauce, lemon zest ($18)
8. Wild Bluefin Maguro: soy braised garlic, micro greens ($17)
9. Kyoto style enoki mushrooms: garlic, soy ($10)
10. Diver scallop**: safe tempura, olive oil bubbles, meyer lemon ($18)
11. Salmon Tartare: cucumber yogurt coulis, argon oil, dill ($17)
12. Artctic char: yuzu cured, smoked sesame brittle, cumin aioli, cilantro ($21)
13. Bonito tataki: myoga, garlic, giner, ponzu ($19)
14. Chilled Main lobster salad: avocado, creamy yuzu dressing, peppercress, cucumber gelee ($24)
15. Grilled king oyster & Shitake mushroom**: rosemary garlic oil, sesame froth, soy ($24)
16. Japanese Wagyu Beef- Seared petit strip lion (2oz) potato confit, sea salt, white truffle oil ($70)
17. Foie Gras**: balsamic chocolate kabayaki, claudio corallo raisin cocoa pulp, sip of aged sake ($33)

I'll be honest my jaw dropped when I saw the bill, but if you really think about it and add up the total from the a la cart price it's actually a good value considering what we tasted. The total of this tasting per person was approx $369+ while the 17 course meal per person price was $185, so we essentially doubled our base price!Yeah... trying to justify the price is a bit of a stretch but, if you want amazingly fresh seafood and gourmet ingrediants with impeccable presentation and outstanding service than this resturant will cease to amaze you.

P.S. As many other yelpers mentioned the establishment's decor and presentation is humble and while some patrons would prefer a more lavish enviornment to celebrate a milestone, the food at this restaurant definitely stands alone. If your guest of honor can appreciate a colorful array of entrees with explosive flavors he/she or they will not be disappointed. I would give this restaurant 10 stars, but Yelp caps it at 5.

• Visited March 2013