“Great Food”
Review of O Ya

O Ya
Reserve with OpenTable
O Ya is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #188 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Atlantic Ave and South St
Transit: South Station on Red Line, Commuter Rail and Amtrak/Acela.
Thornhill, Canada
“Great Food”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

When we arrived we found an unorganized very tiny room in what looked like a bad alley. However once seated we had service to die for, incredible wine and food that tasted from heaven! Highlights were the Arctic char that comes with smoke wafting in a steamer! The fois gras with chocolate that ended the meal and the wagu beef. My only issue with the restaurant was the $400.00 bill at the end. The prices are obscene. $17.00 for 2 tiny pieces of tuna sushi tells me someone is making too much money. $70 for 3-4 oz of wagu beef again is far too over priced. I'm glad I experienced this once but would not go back again.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank choco_nut_9

Fountain Valley, California
“Best Meal of My Life!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Thank you Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods host on the Travel Channel) for highlighting this restaurant as a Top Boston destination. This was hands down the best meal I've ever had in my life with a glorious second from my husband.

I will admit that the restaurant prices are exorbitantly high, but my husband recently reached an enormous milestone in his career so I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to taste one of Boston's finest as well as celebrate my husband's achievement. My hubby absolutely deserves the best and if professional chef Andrew Zimmern regarded O Ya as "The Best Restaurant in America," it must be ridiculously good.

I made reservations through OpenTable (unfortunately it doesn't count towards points) and eagerly anticipated the 17 course meal ($185 per person) currated to our perferances and diatery needs. I requested non-spicy dishes and san wasabi and here's what we were presented with...

FYI: The flavors and textures are a blur to me, so it's difficult to describe each dish as I was only able to savor that one bite. Regardless I highlighted the ones that were especially memorable with two stars though all of the dishes were delicous.

Prices reflect Ala cart pricing
1. Kumanoto Oyster**: watermelon pearls, cucumber mignonnette (market price)
2. Hamachi belly**: yuzu soy marinted santa barbara sea urchin ($18)
3. Salmon: unfilered wheater soy mormoi ($12)
4. Warm Eel: thai basil, kaboyaki, fresh kyoto sansho ($18)
5. Homemade fingerling potato chip: black winter truffle ($18)
6. Kohada Japanese baby mackerl: black olive puree aka shiso ($14)
7. Langoustine tempura: ao nori, spicy langoustine sauce, lemon zest ($18)
8. Wild Bluefin Maguro: soy braised garlic, micro greens ($17)
9. Kyoto style enoki mushrooms: garlic, soy ($10)
10. Diver scallop**: safe tempura, olive oil bubbles, meyer lemon ($18)
11. Salmon Tartare: cucumber yogurt coulis, argon oil, dill ($17)
12. Artctic char: yuzu cured, smoked sesame brittle, cumin aioli, cilantro ($21)
13. Bonito tataki: myoga, garlic, giner, ponzu ($19)
14. Chilled Main lobster salad: avocado, creamy yuzu dressing, peppercress, cucumber gelee ($24)
15. Grilled king oyster & Shitake mushroom**: rosemary garlic oil, sesame froth, soy ($24)
16. Japanese Wagyu Beef- Seared petit strip lion (2oz) potato confit, sea salt, white truffle oil ($70)
17. Foie Gras**: balsamic chocolate kabayaki, claudio corallo raisin cocoa pulp, sip of aged sake ($33)

I'll be honest my jaw dropped when I saw the bill, but if you really think about it and add up the total from the a la cart price it's actually a good value considering what we tasted. The total of this tasting per person was approx $369+ while the 17 course meal per person price was $185, so we essentially doubled our base price!Yeah... trying to justify the price is a bit of a stretch but, if you want amazingly fresh seafood and gourmet ingrediants with impeccable presentation and outstanding service than this resturant will cease to amaze you.

P.S. As many other yelpers mentioned the establishment's decor and presentation is humble and while some patrons would prefer a more lavish enviornment to celebrate a milestone, the food at this restaurant definitely stands alone. If your guest of honor can appreciate a colorful array of entrees with explosive flavors he/she or they will not be disappointed. I would give this restaurant 10 stars, but Yelp caps it at 5.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Irene Y
Castle Pines Colorado
“Wow!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The ultimate sushi. The setting: small and simple. The service: perfect, with just enough explanation. But the sushi was overwhelmingly special - different, but always just enough difference and not trying too hard. My wife was able to get only cooked items. The highlight was a saki braised shortrib unlike anything we have ever had. The finish was as good as it was unexpected. The saki selection was as special as the food. After 50 years of sushi, this is it.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank jwmarkey
monaco
“Don't forget to go the the ATM first!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I dined at O Ya, knowing it wasn't cheap going in. But i guess the reaization doesn't set in until you actually see the menu and what you get for your $$$$$. I think a better name for the reataurant would be 'TWO BITES', because that is all you get per nigiri portion, which can range from $8 to $38 a plate. $19 a bite! Eat slowly and savor it. Try the $4 bowl of white rice, which is not on the menu. It is very good and at least after spending upwards of $400 per couple (unless you have the Kobe Steak at $499 ea), you will not leave too hungry. I should mention that i am not poor. I guess I just have a hard time with such an overpriced menu, considering what you get in return.
That being said, what we did order was excellent. the distinct tastes of each bite are memorable. The pace was good and the waitstaff were very well educated on the 'delicacies' served at O Ya. Although we won't beging back anytime soon, if you have money to burn, and you like interesting, inventive cuisine, then O Ya will fit the bill.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank heritage514
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Very Best But Not For Everyone”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have no doubt that this is the best sushi restaurant I've eaten in and I have been to many. Every dish I tasted on the multicourse tasting menu was perfectly delicious. Eash presentation is work of art that needs to be apreciated before eating. A meal here is a rich and lovely experience which requires a slow pace and attention to your food.

This restaurant should not be chosen as just a place to eat dinner. It is expensive and well worth the price for the diner who wants the best in the art of sushi but would be a waste of money and artistry for those who aren't big fans. This is most definitely an adult gourmet experience so don't even think of bringing children.

The atmosphere and decor are sophisticated. The service is excellent. Plenty of information is given on the menu if you seek it but otherwise the service is unintrusive but prompt and thoughtful. This is a place to take your loved one for Valentine's Day or your spouse for an anniversary dinner. The experience will never be forgotten.

• Visited March 2013