“good French brunch”
Review of Gaslight Brasserie

Gaslight Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Gaslight Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South End
Cross street: Waltham St.
Transit: Take the Silver Line on Washington Street to either Union Park or East Berkeley St. Walk 1 block South to Harrison and then its #560.
Singapore
“good French brunch”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to brunch around noon on a Sunday, plenty of space at the bar to sit down for a drink as we arrived 20 minutes early for our reservation. Bar service was quick and they had a good selection of liquors. Mimosas were ok. Another of our party tried a mixed drink with Aperol which she loved.

We waited a bit past our reservation time to get our table, but worth the wait as we were seated in a nice comfy booth along the back wall, perfect for a group of 4. It was a bit noisy when the restaurant was full, but a nice brasserie ambience.

2 of us tried the croque de madame, with just the right mix of bechamel and gruyere. The fries could have a been a big crispier, but still tasty. The cappuccino was made well but took a while to arrive. Our waitress was great, no issues encountered.

Overall, I thought it was pretty good and I'd go back, but I want to try more of the normal lunch or dinner menu before I decide if it's a keeper. Dress code was casual for brunch, which was great.

• Visited February 2013

Boston, MA
“Tl;dr: Pretentious bartenders don't know the menu, ditch for a smoke, and double-charge for a mismade cocktail.”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Back-story: Went here with my girlfriend on a Wednesday night. Not very busy, at all.

If any bartenders are reading this, please tell me: How embarrassing is it when a patron corrects you? I was at the bar and saw a bottle of my absolute favorite beer in the fridge...quite a few of them, actually. I didn't even look at the menu, and instead just ordered it.
"We don't have that." Said the bartender.
"No, you definitely do...it's right there."
"Look hon, I know our beer list, you must be confusing it with something else."
"No, seriously, pull out that red and white bottle on the bottom row."
At this point another bartender shouted across the bar that it was the weekly special. Our bartender pulled the bottle out and sheepishly opened it. My girlfriend ordered a Sidecar with no sugar, and we got a couple appetizers.
Fifteen minutes later, our appetizers arrived, but the sidecar hadn't. Both bartenders had mysteriously vanished and had been replaced by a very young man who was certainly not of legal age, who looked very nervous and was feverishly wiping nonexistent spills off the bar.
When I got up to go to the restroom, I happened to see the bartenders through a window, smoking cigarettes and gossiping. Now, I used to be a courier and knew the service entrances to this building, so I decided to pay them a visit outside and give them a friendly reminder that they'd forgotten her drink. I was as cordial as possible and didn't want to end up on /r/talesfromthebarkeep. They apologized and said it'd been a long day, and they'd get right on it. Good.
Once back at the bar, the sidecar is there...but it is almost sickly sweet. Only one bartender is there, the nice one who corrected the other about the beer. He apologizes again and says that the other bartender has been making mistakes all evening and it was getting on his nerves, too. He makes it again, and it's great. We finish our drinks and call for the check.

There are TWO sidecars on it. For those of you keeping score, that's strike four and you're out, Gaslight. It was getting busier now and we didn't want to make a scene, so we crossed one sidecar off and left cash appropriate for the bill sans doubled sidecar. Maybe it was a mistake. I don't even care, really.

The food itself was good, but the prices are stupidly steep, even for the South End, and the portions were a little slim. Would I recommend this to anyone? Heavens no, there are at least a dozen better places within spitting distance. If you're going for atmosphere and ambiance, then sure. Go ahead, just go in with your expectations very low.

1 Thank Craiggles
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A French experience in Boston”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Gaslight is a beautifully designed space that evokes the best of a Parisian brasserie. The food is wonderful and reasonably priced. The wine list is comprehensive and also a value, but the service is the real asset. Most restaurants in this price range don't have the knowledgeable and congenial staff that gaslight has. Just a great romantic date restaurant.

2 Thank Michele F
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
“authentic french food”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Enjoyed the cheese fondue, steak au poivre (monday night special) and the lemon souflee with blueberry sauce.The steak was done to perfection.The souflee was perfect and so fresh. .Reasonably priced. Open late but watch the neighborhood. Was approached by a panhandler.

Lenox
“Cute layout, good prices, poor service”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Gaslight offers a great setting and free parking! The menu reads well, but the food is ok--mussels the exception. We were there twice, once for dinner in a group of 6, and two days later as a group of 4 for Saturday Brunch--and my daughter's birthday. Our waitress the first night was very pleasant, but harried. She tried. Our waiter the day of the brunch, barely acknowledged us or the fact that we were celebrating a birthday. Choices for the brunch were plentiful and above average overall. If we were to return, it would be for drinks & apps at the bar.