“Very nice B&B, lovely hosts”
Review of Aisling

Aisling
Ranked #8 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in mid June. James and Dympna were lovely hosts.
Dympna's breakfasts were excellent with fresh homemade baking and good variety each day.
The building is lovely and the area has a number of good places to eat. We were particularly impressed with a tapas place Toro, 2 mins around the corner. You can't book but the food is great.
Aisling is in a good spot, easy to get to town on the bus.
Overall a really nice place.
Just a couple of things we thought could be done to improve the experience, a kettle / coffee making facility in the room and we found the central air conditioning not to be very effective in our second floor room.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank g0MBg0
Damon M, Manager at Aisling, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

We very much appreciated this kind and positive review, and in particular the constructive suggestions in the final paragraph. As it happens we have in the past considered the possibility of placing a coffee maker in each room, but have felt that on balance the Keurig Brewing System, which is in the small kitchen we keep for our guests, is not only safer, but provides more options in the form of different teas, chocolate and coffees than the type of unit that could go into individual rooms. The kitchen also provides the ability to keep milk refrigerated so that our guests will not have to rely on powdered “creamers” should they wish their beverages to be other than black. Needless to say this is an issue we keep under constant review, and if better and safer equipment becomes available we will certainly change our approach. Summer heat comes suddenly in Massachusetts, and we are sorry that you experienced the twenty four hours or so when the central air conditioning was first on, and not working with full efficiency .We can now report that the central air conditioning is properly in balance and working well in all our rooms.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had a fantastic time at the Aisling Bed and Breakfast. The home was beautifully restored and was located in a great area on the South End. We walked to dinners, took a bus to the Freedom Trail and a cab to Fenway. The breakfasts were incredible and we enjoyed our morning conversations with James and Dympna. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Wonderful hosts that felt like family. Very gracious, accommodating, and eager to help. The food was delisious and such a pleasure to start your day with beautiful food made from scratch with great care. I am ready to go back to boston--but mostly just for the B&B! When i do come back, I won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Okiegirlinokc
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This is our 2nd time staying at the Aisling. We spent two nights last week and had hoped to stay for 3 but to our dismay they were booked. We usually stay at B&B when we travel and by far Dympna's breakfast are the best. If you are visiting Boston I highly recommend the Aisling, it's like staying with family that you like. We are already looking forward to a return stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki E
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This friendly b&b is in South End area of Boston (not South Boston which is different), and has plenty of restaurants and snack places nearby and is about a 20 minute walk to the main sites of Boston, the State House, Freedom Trail and Harbour. I tend to walk everywhere and so I don't know the bus or subway routes but I'm sure they're very convenient. Going the other way you can walk to Harvard in about 40 minutes, taking you over the Harvard Bridge with views of Boston, but there is definitely a bus that goes this route, which is very easy as just one long road and the stop is within a minute of the house and goes to Harvard Square.

The owners, James & Dympna, are great hosts and offer to pick you up and take you back to the airport, which is most welcome after a transatlantic flight (particularly if you arrive in torrential rain as I did, not the time to be negotiating subways, maps and taxis). My room was Salt Hill, a large spacious room, very clean, warm and welcoming. It was also very quiet as there are only three rooms and the other two downstairs. Breakfast was a calorie-laden affair, with unlimited fresh coffee and breads, freshly baked muffins or fruit loaf, cereals, fruit and a "special of the day", the salmon quiche was delicious.

James & Dympna both went out of their way to make sure I was welcome and had good tips to enjoy Boston. I wanted to go to Salem (which I would highly recommend) and to the Peabody Essex museum (in Salem) and it was James who suggested the public ferry, a great way to get there, to see the city from the water and was a highight of the trip (ferry takes an hour each way and is $29 return, well worth it as Salem is beautiful and the journey highly enjoyable). You are staying in their home and have breakfast with them, and other guests staying at that time, on one large table and so it is all very friendly and you pick up Boston sightseeing tips from other guests.

A very emjoyable four nights.

Room Tip: I had the room upstairs, Salt Hill, and was very happy with it and didn't see the rooms downstai...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed at Aisling for two nights, May 16-18, 2014, and it was a wonderful experience. James picked me up from the airport and we had a great talk on the short trip to Aisling. Upon our arrival, Dympna had breakfast prepared - a great mix (and your choice) of yogurt, fruit, muffins, cereal, granola, juices, coffee, tea and a main dish that Dymnpa cooks and varies each morning. Delicious! And she will accommodate your dietary restrictions. Like most B&Bs, Dympna and James' dining table allows guests to share a good meal and stimulating conversation with people from around the world. During my stay I met people from California, London, Seattle and Hong Kong. The Murmod Santuary was cozy and comfortable, with a private, ground floor entrance. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and think that you will as well!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My stay with James and Dympna was exceptional. The room was a good size, comfortable bed and bedding, ensuite, wifi and cable TV. I was in the rear downstairs room, Duleek Opulent which, together with the front room, Mormod Sanctuary, had private entry into the house, access to a small kitchen with full size oven, microwave, fridge, sink and coffee pod machine. This was excellent as I used the oven to reheat food I had purchased during the day to bring back home :-) for dinner.

Jeffrey L mentions in his review the quietness of the rooms and hearing no noise from the adjoining room - thank you Jeffrey, I didn't hear anything from your room either :-)

As I was arriving very late evening, I initially enquired if I would be able to check in at such a late time - after midnight. Not only was this possible, but James collected me at the airport. As I had flown 3 consecutive flights taking in excess of 25 hours to get there, this was such a relief and much appreciated.

Breakfasts: what more can be said that hasn't been mentioned already? Every morning was a new treat of something specially baked by Dympna. Every breakfast was 3 courses, with muffins and bread on the side. The teapot and coffee pot were consistently replenished. Most days I would not even think about needing something to eat until mid afternoon.

Sitting around the lovely dining table with subtle classical music in the background with James and fellow guests having discussions about different cultures and experiences was something that you just don't get in hotels.

James and Dympna provided useful information about how to get around using the various bus services only a short walk away. On their advice I purchased a Charlie Card and travelled to Harvard on my first day and then around Boston city for the remaining 2 days. The best attraction I visited was at the Boston Tea Party Museum which was very entertaining, interactive and historically informative.

On my last morning, James co-ordinated my departure via train and fellow guests to the airport which was very much appreciated by all.

If anyone is contemplating a BnB stay in Boston, this is the place !!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo