“Average hotel disappoints on many levels”

The Inn at Longwood Medical
Ranked #41 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Clifton, New Jersey
“Average hotel disappoints on many levels”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I e-mailed a reservation 6 weeks in advance requesting a room with 2 beds. I phoned a couple of days prior to our arrival to confirm the reservation and request. Upon arrival (one hour after the 3 pm check in) was told there were no rooms with 2 beds! They offered to take about $15 off, which is the rate you would pay anyway! Also 2 comps in the restaurant for a "full american breakfast". The waitress at the restaurant told us (after we ordered) that the "full american breakfast) was pretty much coffee and toast.

The room was very small, the pillows were like balls, the tv had several channels with a frozen picture and/or no sound. It was clean and located near Fenway Park-our weekend destination.

Overall it was ok. However, I feel when a hotel cannot accomodate your only and most important request, nothing else really matters.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank FF184

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2009

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is extremely accommodating this was most important to me as I had a short time to complete a large task. The concierges Ramon knew his way around Boston and never failed me when I needed recommendations on parking or a resource to provide a solution or solve a problem.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank chilinfla
Rockville, MD
Reviewed September 25, 2009

I recently stayed at the Best Western Longwood for business travel. I have stayed there several times now, and have always found the staff to be very courteous and helpful. The rooms are spacious and nicely laid out. This stay I left my laptop computer in the room and did not realize it until I was at the airport. I called the hotel and learned that they already had my laptop locked away and identified as mine. They kept it locked up until I could check my workplace procedures for appropriate return, and then shipped it back to me (only charging a modest $5 fee for all their efforts, which included packing up the computer and taking it to the UPS store). The housekeeping supervisor was exceptionally helpful throughout the whole process.

1 Thank TRN77
Reviewed September 24, 2009

The hotel is convenient located next to Harvard Medical School and the guests appeared to be a mixture of patients/families and other visitors to the medical facilities. Hotel is about a $40 ride from the airport. For local transportation, it is within easy walking distance to the green T line. My room on the 7th floor was just average with a very small bathroom which had chipped and peeling paint sections on the wall. Toiletries provided were minimum (two bars of soap and one little bottle of shampoo). Walls were thin as I could here the conversations of my next door neighboor and the flushing of the toilet. Now for the good part. There was a great selection available from the room service menu which was reasonably priced with fast service and very tasty. The hotel restaurant also provides very nice service and a good bar. Accessible from the elevator on the second floor is a food court that includes some small shops and a CVS. Staff were very polite and the concierge was knowledgeable.

1 Thank jcre
Naples, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This is THE place to stay when in Boston. Close enough to BIDMC that my husband and I were able walk a very short distance for his 6 a.m. check-in for surgery. Conveniently for us , the Longwood Bar and Grill was very nice and just down a couple of flights from our room (15% discount0. We also ate in the Food Court a few times during our stay when we weren't feeling like being waited on by food server.
Room was clean, cozy, reasonably quiet for the location, and we plan to return another time, hopefully under different circumstances. (Medical rate was an advantage.)

2 Thank jett54
PA
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed here because of its close proximity to medical facilities. However, it's very close to the green line of the T which takes you all over Boston. The room was clean and came with a refrigerator and microwave. We did not have a window to the outside, which was a huge drawback for me because I love the morning sun (The window looked out into a back hallway). Additionally, the air conditioner was right (meaning 6 in.) next to one of the beds, which is okay if someone likes it freezing and someone else does not. The bed was comfortable enough, though the comforters were showing wear. The water in the shower did have a habit of going from warm to hot and back to warm, which was, at most, annoying. I also had problems opening the door several times as you had to make sure it was closed exactly right. I did not have any problem accessing the wireless internet, I just called the front desk for the username and password. If you don't have a computer, there is a computer in the lobby for guests to use for free. It was disappointing that the hotel did not have any exercise facilities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The food at Longwood Grille in the Hotel was generally good, though if you did not take the free continental breakfast (we only received a coupon for free breakfast for one out of 3 days), it was quite expensive. Lunch too was a bit overpriced, though dinner was reasonable and the servers were usually attentive. If I was coming to Boston for the sole purpose of sightseeing, I would probably stay in a more central location in Boston, but this place was great for my needs for this trip.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank OrangeTwist
ct
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I stay here periodicqally on my visits to Boston. staff is extremly professional and pleasant. Bill Davies , manager, also very willing to help with special requests.
The staff remembers my name every time I check in.
Located in heart of Medical district and walking distance to Fenway park.
Last visit was to attend Red sox game.

Bar and Grille offer good food and fair prices.

RMD, Woodstock, CT

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank rmdjr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Back Bay/Fenway
The Verb Hotel
The Verb Hotel
#14 of 83 in Boston
Boston Hotel Buckminster

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!