“medical discounts, parking tips”

The Inn at Longwood Medical
Ranked #36 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed March 17, 2008

PRICE: Discount when booking if you tell them you have a loved one at Childrens Hospital or Brighams & Womens--best discount Childrens Hosp@$149+tax. PARKING CAUTION !--be aware of how you will use parking! Indoor lot adjacent to Inn is very convenient & the lowest flat rate that can be obtained in area. HOWEVER, if you pay the Inn for parking there, you will pay $18/day-- but the garage itself only charges $17/day max (provided that you do not leave lot & return).ALSO, Inn stops your parking day at noon, no matter what time you checked in the day before, so you will have to pay extra cash to the garage if you leave after noon. For example, we stayed 3 nights--parked in the garage for 70 hours without moving car because we walked 1 block back and forth to the hospital. Inn charged us $18x3=$54, but garage charged us another $10 cash for an hour and a half because we left at 1:30p. Total $64. If we had paid the garage directly for all of it instead of paying the Inn, the garage would have only charged us for 70 hours, which is 3 flat-day-rates@$17=total $51, instead of $64 we paid. BUT, if you are going to be driving in and out of the garage while you are there, then paying the Inn is cheaper, because the Inn will give you a voucher each time you drive in and out, so that you only pay $18 a day while staying at the Inn, instead of paying the maximum to the garage each time you drive in and out (which would be very expensive). HOT WATER: The 1st and 2nd days, the water turned ice cold in the middle of my shower. It was about 8a, so I thought maybe the hot water had been used up in morning rush hour. The 3rd day I waited until midday, thinking the hot water would be recovered by then, but it was ice cold all morning. So it was impossible to take a hot bath or even wash hands in warm water. OVERALL--it is generally expensive to stay in Boston, and you don't get much for your money, but if you need a clean, simple, reasonably priced place near the major medical center at Longwood, this Inn fits. Next door to Dana-Farber Cancer, Brigham/Womens, Childrens, Beth Israel & others, you can just keep the car parked & walk. FOOD: Inn's restaurant is open from 6a to midnight 7 days, which helps when you have to time-shift around medical emergencies. Restaurant staff was very friendly. Food attempted to be creative and interesting-- a lot of it is a little bit spicy if you are a no-pepper person, even the clam chowder has tabasco in it. But food was fresh and tasty. Staff gladly packed up meals to go and food and beverages for us to take to the room. Adjacent food court is open less hours than restaurant, but handy with McDonalds and the typical fast food. CLEANING: Inn's cleaning staff was also very friendly, but note that English is limited. AVAILABILITY: Inn fills up. When we had our medical emergency (son in an accident), online booking showed no availability. I called the Inn and they said they could get us that one night for sure. By the time we drove a few hours to get there, another night had opened up. Each day we checked with them to alert them whether we were looking for another night, so we were able to stay as many nights as we needed. On the other hand, every night we heard them turning people away, suggesting other hotels because they were full. A person can't plan ahead for a medical emergency, but if one comes up, call this Inn directly and get yourself into their system. As they told us, it is easier to cancel nights than to book them.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank joycandoit

Reviewed March 8, 2008

Spent three nights here while calling on clients.The staff was very helpful with directions around the city as well as outside of the city.Room was clean but a little noisey they were doing work on the floor I was on.Internet was free and a consistent signal.
I liked the restaurant and bar ,had room service also,very good.

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed February 24, 2008

The only thing good about this hotel is its location if you have a loved one at one of the hospitals, as it is an easy walk to several major hospitals. We stayed the night before surgery for my partner at Brigham & Women's Hospital and was booked for four nights. I checked out after just one night.
The room was tiny and cramped, desperately needed upgrading as it was worn and tired. I've seen dorm rooms from the 1960's that were better! I couldn't get the internet connection to work, we had to take the top off the toilet to make it stop running after every flush, and the cleaning was superficial, including the discovery of a soggy, moldy coffee packet in the coffeemaker. How dare this hotel charge $189 regular rate and $159 "special medical rate" for this room! Parking is an extra cost as well. I got a much cleaner, nicer room at the Boston Park Plaza for $119 per night and rode the "Green Line" train for the remainder of my stay.
Other than a room, this hotel offers nothing one might seek for amenities. It is dreary! It is adjacent to the Longwood Galleria which has a decent restaurant but is otherwise a small food court like you see in a mall. Unless you absolutely want to or need to be at the hospitals, avoid this hotel!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blueyes1119
Reviewed February 10, 2008

We had an enjoyable stay at the Longwood Inn a couple of years ago, so upon returning on a business trip I stayed there again. I had no problems with the hotel at all. The room was clean and the staff made sure that all of my needs were met. Once again, my 3 day stay was a pleasant one. I feel comfortable in knowing that I will always have a place to call when I am planning another trip to Boston.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2008

We were here for two nights with appointments in the area hospital.The hospital reccommended the hotel to us. The room was clean ,the staff friendly and the restaurant and bar had good food.If we have to come back we will stay here again.Free internet was a plus.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank GracieLakeshore
Reviewed January 11, 2008

The friendly and helpful staff at this hotel went above and beyond the call of duty. Everyone pitched in to help when my car battery died, and manager Bill Davies saved me and got the car started. Thanks for the excellent service and extra assistance!

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank Malvernite
Reviewed January 7, 2008

Unfortunately my mother's cancer is back, fortunately we had the Inn at Longwood to stay at again. The staff is so helpful and nice and the room was quite comfortable. I am very sad to have to use the hotel again, but I am so grateful that the hotel exists where it is.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shanni97
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
The Verb Hotel
Back Bay
The Midtown Hotel
The Midtown Hotel
#65 of 84 in Boston

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!