“Disappointed with Best Western”
Review of Hotel Boston

Hotel Boston
Ranked #77 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed September 10, 2013

As a Best Western Rewards customer I was very disappointed with this hotel. My daughters and I went to drop-off my granddaughter at Boston College (this hotel is recommended by BC) The rooms are large and beds OK, but the room was old and carpet worn. When we checked out we were charged for a movie we did not see. But the manager, a woman, (in the early am) credited back our account. The problem, and the biggest disappointment with a member of the staff, was after I got home. I got a $150 charge from the hotel with no explanation. When I called I was told I burned the carpet because I smoked in the room (we are non-smokers). The manager, a man by the name of Michael, said he had received some pictures of the burns from the housekeeping staff. I asked him where these "supposed" burns were and if he could send me the picture. He said no and very rudely told me he would investigate and call back. He never called. When I called again, he would not speak to me (he was at a meeting or some other place) I talked to a secretary that told me for sure Michael would call tomorrow. Again no call. Finally when we did speak (I called) he said the Housekeeping manager was out and would return on Tuesday (labor day weekend). He would call back. Since he did not call back, I put a hold on the money while we cleared the charge. I kept calling back and even talked to the lady that checked us out, she remembered us and said she would give Michael the message. Again no call back. I spoke to the lady again, she assured me she gave him the message. I told her this man had no business sense, by now I was really angry she agreed that we had been treated badly. This manager was more than rude (he should go back to school to learn how to treat customers), when he finally called (almost 2 weeks later) he said he would credit my account and forget the burns WE had made to the carpet. He basically humiliated me by saying I lied. I told him to change his wording and he would not accept the fact that we had not burned the carpet. As a customer I am offended, I would like other guests to know, we have rights. Even criminals are innocent until proven guilty. I would strongly suggest this manger be reprimanded by higher management.

1  Thank JIV1943
bwcommave, General Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear JIV1943,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our property. We appreciate your valuable feedback. In regards to the situation you experienced, I have taken time to evaluate the way our smoking penalties are enforced. Additional methods have been put in place to ensure we as a hotel are handling smoking penalties thoroughly. Please allow me to apologize for the delay in response to your phone call. I do my very best to be prompt in returning all guest phone calls, however, this situation required additional information which I had to seek from other employees, who were not immediately available. I hope that in the future you will give our hotel another opportunity, and we will be able to provide you with a pleasurable experience. Thank you again for your time in providing me with your feedback.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Boston

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was conveniently located near the main tram line so accessing downtown was simple! Only a 10-15 minute ride, which was great - although the later trams tended to be rather crowded around 8 or so!

The hotel room was nice and clean! I would definitely recommend this place for those looking for a more affordable option!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank RN240134
SJS2013, Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Renee K, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Best Western University Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel's location and guestrooms. You are right, we are a great affordable option for the budget-minded traveler. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel. The rooms are clean, the beds are great, and the neighborhood is safe. It is very close to mass transportation, and yet very quiet. The staff was helpful. There are many wonderful things to do in Boston. This location is priced right, and there are many good restaurants nearby.

1  Thank lessismore76
SJS2013, Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear lessismore76, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Best Western University Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you found the guestrooms to be "clean", the beds "great" and the neighborhood "safe". Our employees work very hard to ensure that our guests are happy and we appreciate the positive input. Please visit again soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

The A/C unit was leaking and making a lot of noise. The carpet got wet and smelly around the A/C unit. Otherwise, I find it to be a decent 'value for money' type hotel. The location is great if planning for visits to colleges like BU, BC etc.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Prasad R, Thank you for the review of the hotel. We are sorry to hear that the A/C unit was leaking! Though you found the hotel to be a good value, we apologize for the inconveniences that occurred. At this time, we are in the process of fine-tuning all A/C units and hope that you will visit us again in the future. Your input is very important, as it allows the hotel to fix errors and improve the quality for future guests.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

For $260, the room was very basic. But it was spotless!! And it included free parking which in this area could run $40. It also included a breakfast, and free wi-fi. There were only two maintenance issues. 1. My phone didn't work. 2. The TV stand was damaged. Other than that, everything was perfect. Millie at the front desk is a sweetheart. She took my reservation and checked me in. She later helped me with parking. I could not find a spot in the parking lot and so I parked on the street. Millie warned me I would get a ticket and then she came out and walked around with me until we found a spot in the lot. I noticed that the cars that did park on the street had tickets in the next morning. Thanks Millie!! Also, because the phone didn't work, Millie arranged for someone to knock on my door at 6:00 a.m. for my wake up call. That is great service! The morning clerk was also very nice. This is a franchise operated by The Linchris Hotel Group who also operate Hiltons and Double Trees all around New England. I would not hesitate to stay in any of their hotels.

Room Tip: I was in 408 and it was a nice room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Dear SusanP922_12, Firstly, thank you so much for writing such a nice review about the hotel. Secondly, you are right! Millie is a fantastic employee and she works very hard to ensure the happiness of our guests. We are pleased to hear that you are familiar with Linchris Hotel Corporation and will continue staying at our hotels. I have shared this review with the entire staff and appreciate your input. Cheers!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked a last minute trip to Boston and all the downtown hotels were either booked up or $350+, we found this hotel/motel which is more reasonably priced and a 30min tram ride from downtown.

The room was clean, parking at the door, continental breakfast made for a quick start to our day and the staff were very helpful. We would recommend this hotel/motel to anyone looking for a clean no frills stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Freddiedon, Thank you so much for your kind review of the Best Western University Hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed the guestroom, free parking and breakfast. Our entire staff works hard to provide excellent service and take pride in offering reasonable prices. We know that there are many choices of accommodations in Boston and we are delighted that you chose our hotel.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Very convenient--the "T" is right across the street--free parking, very good breakfast (more than continental!), helpful personnel, clean rooms, comfortable beds. Like most hotels, the lighting could be better.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
SJS2013, Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear SueDKruse, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the complimentary parking, breakfast, staff, guestrooms and comfortable beds. Our employees work hard to ensure our guests' happiness and feedback like yours is the pat on the back that they deserve. Cheers! Please visit us again, soon.