“Finally found a place I will go back to”
Review of Hotel Boston

Hotel Boston
Ranked #75 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New York City, New York
“Finally found a place I will go back to”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been making the round of hotels in the Boston area. Until yesterday had not found a place I really wanted to return to. I usually stay in hotels- was surprised that this is a MOTEL, and rather basic looking to boot.
BUT...there is nice parking, and a nice breakfast. Staff are very friendly, you can park right outside your room, the rooms are spacious by Boston standards (huge by NYC standards) and even better- the sheets are really nice. Never thought bedding mattered that much to me, but I really appreciated their quality. Room was very clean, and had a fridge and microwave which I will plan on using next time. There is a heating/cooling unit in the room that made just the right amount of white noise.
The downside is that it is a residential area so its a windy trip here from I95 (I took one bad turn) and the lack of things to walk to easily (although not too far).
I guess in the summer this is probably not the place for business travelers as I assume it would be great for families, but when school is in session, this will probably be my place to stay for my frequent trips.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Susanna S, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear CSSnowshoer,

Thank you for the wonderful review of the Best Western University Hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed the guestroom, especially the bedding. We have recently updated our guestrooms with new carpeting, fresh paint and new linen and have received several compliments from our guests. We are also happy that you enjoyed the parking, breakfast and staff.

I have shared your review with the entire staff and we all thank you for choosing our hotel. We hope to see you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed two nights and was very pleased. If you want a huge room and every available luxury then perhaps you should stay elsewhere - but in Boston you will be paying a small fortune. Before you book somewhere else, compare what you get here:

For a room rate of about $125 at this Best Western you get:.

Comfortable room
Free off street parking (always found a spot near my room)
Free wireless internet
Nice bedding - many pillows, duvet and fresh duvet cover
Alcove with microwave, coffee maker and fridge
Flat screen TV
Easily controlled heat
Small bathroom but very workable, and clean
Quiet (I was 1st floor, facing the street. There are a couple of other rooms I wouldn't take but they give you a map at check in, and I moved away from the vending and trash)
It's in a residential area but a short walk to public transportation
1/4 mile to Whole Foods supermarket one direction, and a 1/2 mile to another supermarket.
1/4 - 1/2 mile to restaurants
Good value breakfast (the lady there was hard working and kept everything filled to the end - two kinds of eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes, cereals, choice of milk, fruit, yogurt, bagels, breads, muffins, and normal hot and cold drinks. Unfortunately the disposable plastic silverware is the cheapest that you can find anywhere which makes cutting your food difficult (You can get better quality for not much more!)

Everything was spotlessly clean
Everyone was very friendly

I'm quite picky about where I stay. I will come back to this Best Western.

Room Tip: Everyone has different preferences, e.g. I loved my first floor room but some people prefer to be on...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Susanna S, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear roogirl10,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Best Western University Hotel! We are pleased that you enjoyed so many things, including the "spotlessly clean" guestroom and "friendly" staff! We agree that the location, complimentary guest parking and deluxe continental breakfast are important amenities offered at the hotel. We know that you have a choice of accommodations in Boston and are pleased that you choose the Best Western University Hotel. Cheers!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed 2 nights for business and was disappointed.

Positives: Staff are very helpful and friendly.
There is wholefoods and 7eleven close by.
There is breakfast in the morning (not sure if you'd want to eat there though)

Negatives: Very very dirty place....the rooms are not clean at all. Walked in and immediately
noticed used towels (they had hair on them)....bathtub also had hair in it (YUCK).
Heater works some of the time; heats up the room for 15 min and then it just
blows cold air. Had to turn it on and off to reset it for heating.
There is no gym....they recommend a place close by where you'd have to pay
$10/day.

Overall, my problem was with how dirty everything was. Housekeeping is terrible. I feel itchy just thinking about the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear L-S0381,
We are so sorry to hear about your bad experience at the hotel. Honestly, I am shocked that the room was dirty! Did you contact a manager? Did you ask the front desk to change rooms? Please be assured that this is not standard operating procedure at the Best Western University Hotel. I have personally shown this review to all housekeepers and staff. Our employees work very hard to ensure a positive guest experience and we apologize for the inconveniences.
Newtown, connecticut
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We love staying here. We can park for free, they are on the Green Line, so easy access to everything including Fenway Park. They significantly improved their free breakfast and they provide a free newspaper. They upgraded the flat screened TV as well. Very comfortable bed and a great value. I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Susanna S, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear MelT1971, Thank you for your kind review of the Best Western University Hotel Boston! We are glad that you enjoyed many of our recent upgrades to the hotel, including the continental breakfast and flat screen televisions. We are also happy that you enjoyed the free parking and proximity to public transportation. We also think that the Best Western University Hotel is a great value and we appreciate the time you have taken to review about the hotel. See you in 2013!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was our third stay at the Best Western University Hotel-Boston/Brighton in about a year and we were NOT disappointed. We stayed in Room 508 and it appears it has been recently renovated. Gone was the dated, floral comforter; replaced with classic white duvet and sheets. As usual, the place was spotlessly clean. Stephanie was working the front desk during our check-in over this sold-out weekend and we were amazed at how well she handled some serious multi-tasking! She was extremely pleasant and efficient as she checked us in; answered the phone and handled another guest, yet we never felt ignored or slighted with her service and it was lightening quick. The free "serve yourself" breakfast in the dining room is always appreciated and I noticed that a pancake maker was added. Nice...and something different. The housekeeping staff is so pleasant and helpful at this place - even the guy painting outside our room made it a point to greet us in the morning and talk about the beautiful weather. We've also learned that there are some hardcore devotees to this little hotel - they stay nowhere else when they come to Boston...and we now count ourselves among them. We discussed how, as word spreads about this little gem, it is getting harder to book a room - so I am hoping that my raving endorsement doesn't come back to bite me! :) Seriously, the staff here deserve their success and we can't wait to book several rooms for a couple of days when we return in January. Keep up the good work folks!!

Room Tip: I still want to try to book on the second level next time, but #508 on the lower level was very clea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DDinPA
Susanna S, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear DDinPA, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for the hotel. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are particularly happy that you found the staff pleasant and helpful, as the employees of the Best Western University Hotel work hard to ensure that things run smoothly. I showed this review to all of the departments and it lifted their spirits! Please visit us again soon. We know that you have a choice of hotels when visiting Boston and we thank you for choosing the Best Western University Hotel. Cheers!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This establishment should be utilized only if you plan on visiting the campuses of Boston University or Boston College. It is old, the rooms are in desperate shape, a/c and heating controls inoperative, located on very busy thoroughfare adjacent to commuter subway lines. Nothing to see or do within walking distance, with the nearest restaurants at least one mile away. Complimentary guest computers never worked.

Room Tip: Avoid te rooms on street level as heavy neighborhood foot traffic continues at all hours.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank helinas
Susanna S, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear helinas,
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your at the hotel. We are sorry to hear that the neighborhood was disappointing. Though we are located in a residential neighborhood in Boston, the hotel is near several restaurants within one block of the hotel. These include Tasca Restaurant, Bamboo Restaurant, Brighton Cafe, Pizzanini and more. There is even a Whole Foods Supermarket one block from the hotel.

We are sorry about the lobby computers not working. This is the first that we have heard of this. Did you speak with a manager? This must have been frustrating and we apologize!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the problems encountered, as we rely on our guests' feedback to make improvements. We hope that you would consider giving the hotel another chance.