“Outstanding service and very, very clean”
Review of Hotel Boston

Hotel Boston
Ranked #77 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 24, 2011

We just returned from a two-night stay at the Boston Best Western Terrace Inn. Our party consisted of myself, my husband and our 21 year-old daughter. We were in town to visit our son at BU over Parents Weekend.
First of all, getting ANY hotel during this weekend is 1) a challenge and 2) expensive. It is the same weekend as the Head of the Charles Regatta during which 300k people descend on the city. In addition, there were several other college events on the same weekend….all within about a 7 mile radius.
I booked the Terrace through a third-party provider – the least pleasant part of our experience, but I will save that for another review – and got a rate of $209.99 per night. Pricey for this hotel, but hey, the demand is there and it was by far the least expensive option when compared to the few others that actually had rooms. And we booked several months prior.
I cannot stress enough how unbelievably friendly and helpful the staff is at this hotel. At check-in Jing was a doll. Our reservation indicated one queen bed, and even though they were packed, he managed to get us into a room with two doubles so our daughter actually had a place to sleep. He did all of this while smiling and being genuinely friendly the entire time. It really set the tone for the entire weekend.
The hotel has a funky, LA-boutique/bungalow hotel style feel to it. A low-slung design nestled amidst a leafy residential neighborhood on the back side of Comm Ave. Whole Foods is a pleasant, quick 2 block walk through the neighborhood. The grounds are well groomed and very, very clean; even with the falling leaves, it was kept neat. As others have mentioned, the parking is free which, in Boston, can save you upwards of $50 a day.
I am a super freak for cleanliness in hotels. I know it sounds weird, but the first thing I do is turn down the comforters and check out the sheets. In this case, crisp, white and clean and passed with flying colors. Nice, full pillows and the mattresses are topped and soft. I then move into the bathroom and inspect the tub, shower and corners of the room. The Terrace shower has the higher-end bowed shower curtain rod which provides additional room and the liner was fabric; a super alternative to the cold, often moldy plastic variety. The tub was spotless and the water pressure and temp was perfect for long, hot showers. Pantene hair care products are provided along with face and body bars and a hair dryer. (A fantastic addition would be a swing-arm lighted magnifier mirror, but that’s just me.) The towels are commercially stiff, but snow white and much thicker than you might expect.
The first night in, we walked the 2.2 miles to BU West. It took about 40 minutes and we were moving, but it felt good after our 8 hour car ride. (We could have hopped the T at the Washington St. stop which is right down the block from the hotel; very, very convenient.) We felt very safe on the walk and we passed several quaint restaurants on the way. The walk back was an hour….our very own “heartbreak hill” going up that last stretch!
The breakfast is far more substantial than you might imagine and actually offered a bit of variety over the course of our 2 day stay. There is a diverse array of breads – muffins, fruited, bagels, farmhouse white and even toaster-ready French toast – and all of the condiments; fresh fruit; mini-cheese omelet’s and sausage (perfect for breakfast sandwiches); made-to-order Belgian Waffles; yogurt and hot and cold cereals; regular and caffeine-free coffee; tea; hot chocolate and orange and cranberry juice. (Add this value to the money saved with the free parking and you can see how this would impact your travel budget.) The dining room can get full depending on your time of arrival and the census, but if you cannot find a seat, simply use the provided trays to carry your food back to your room. Alicia, the dining room attendant on duty during our stay, is charming. She smiled and chatted with us all while never stopping the seemingly incessant chore of restocking and making coffee; another high mark for the stellar customer service that is obviously a standard at this hotel. (Of course, your experience will be impacted by other diners, and there were some class A jerks in there when we were having breakfast, but Alicia smiled through everything and continued to do a great job…I have no idea how they put up with some of those people…travelers, mind your doggone manners!)
There are two computers in the lobby and free Wifi. I didn’t even need to break out my netbook as I hopped on their machine to print out our BU parking pass. The gal on front desk duty – I am so mad I forgot to get her name – was beyond helpful in so many ways. She helped us print several documents and then came to check out our situation with our remote which wasn’t working. When she couldn’t get it to work, she summoned a maintenance guy – another super friendly, skilled staffer – and he had us fixed up in a few minutes. While in our room waiting, the front desk attendant filled us in on where to go and we ended up taking her advice on lunch at The Joshua Tree in Davis. (A great find for reasonably priced burgers, good service and a cool neighborhood.)
So, to wrap up, I would highly recommend the Best Western Terrace Inn in Boston. The facility itself may not be the Four Seasons, but I can tell you, I would put the level of customer service up against the best hotels I have stayed in…including the Mondrian AND several Ritz and Four Seasons locations. I am not even kidding; these folks could work at ANY of those places.
If it is any indication of how comfortable guests feel while at the Terrace, just check out how many repeat customers there are…we met multiple families in the dining room who never stay anywhere else when in Boston. People do not go back to places that are dumps or where the staff treats them poorly; no matter the price point.
Bravo to the staff and management of the Terrace. You do a fantastic job. And we will be back.

Room Tip: You may want to consider an upper level room. "Frankenstein the Door Slammer" was above u...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DDinPA
Parkersmomcat, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2011

Dear DDinPA,
Thank you so much for the detailed review about the Best Western Terrace Inn Boston! Your words were written with care and we appreciate every detail.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the staff, location, breakfast and cleanliness. Our staff works very hard to ensure the comfort of all of guests. We are especially happy to know that you found the property to be very clean. Raking leaves is a huge challenge for us in the fall, as the hotel has many trees. I have shared your review with the entire staff.

We know that you have a choice while staying in a big city like Boston. We are thrilled that you chose the Best Western Terrace Inn and hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Stayed here for five nights when attending a conference in Boston.

The good things: cheap compared to other places in Boston; convenient for the T subway; area is safe; staff are friendly; free fast wifi; free breakfast (bagels, fruit, coffee, juice, cereal).

Bad things: very dated room, poorly equipped (oven but no pots or pans; coffee filters, cups and coffee but no coffee maker (and they couldn't get one for us)); room was clean but smelt musty; the T from here is extremely slow (>30 minutes to Hynes convention centre, nearly an hour to MGH or Harvard Square).

Summary: It's good value for Boston and has free parking if that's important to you. It definitely feels more like a motel than a hotel. I think next time I'd pay more and stay somewhere more central and more up to date.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
TerraceInn, General Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Dear MXLondon ,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Best Western Terrace Inn Boston. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel location, free fast wifi; free breakfast. We are sad to hear that you did not like the room or the subway.

I have shared this review with the staff and am pleased to report that we are in the process of updating the guestrooms, lobby and breakfast area. We will continue to offer free parking and continental breakfast, as this is an important feature to many of our guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay, as it is a learning experience for us, too!

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed on Boston for 3 days, really enjoyed this hotel, good breakfast, comfortable beds, clean and moderns bathrooms, really nice room with microware and coffee maker, free internet access, there is a little far away of centre Boston, but is a Train stop just 2 square away, really recommend this hotel, very warm welcome

Room Tip: Better choose higher rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear alexuk75,

We thank you for the wonderful review of the Best Western Terrace Inn Boston! Our staff works very hard to make the guests happy and we appreciate your kind review. The in-room microwave and coffee maker make things easier for our travelers, as it is very convenient. We hope to see you on a future trip to Boston.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

Okay, it's not the Ritz. . . . but if you are looking for a clean, modest hotel that is convenient to the St. Elizabeth Hospital and the B-line .. as well as FREE wi-fi, FREE breakfast and FREE parking . . look no further. It's in a safe community .. walking distance to a couple of great restaurants (Tasca Tapas and Bamboo Thai), and Whole Foods. My room had a microwave and a small refrigerator. The staff were always pleasant. The only issue was that the breakfast foods / area was cleaned up and put away consistently before the 10:00 am posted times. Three days in a week . .the gal was putting breakfast away early - once at 9:10 am and once was at 9:30. Annoyed quite a few people. If they corrected this problem .. . . it would have been a perfect stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gailtg
Anwar I, General Manager at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

Dear gailtg,
Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review of the Best Western Terrace Inn. We appreciate your thoughts and ideas and I have passed this review along to the staff. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the location of the hotel to be convenient to many of Boston's great restaurants! We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Decent hotel near Boston College. Clean rooms. Don't be put off by the lack of curb appeal. Friendly staff, good breakfast, ideal for college visits.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank 63bananas
Parkersmomcat, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Dear 63bananas,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Best Western Terrace Inn Boston! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially the friendly staff and good breakfast. Since we are located near Boston College, we get many parents of BC students who are on a budget. We know that you have many choices while staying in Boston and we believe that the complimentary breakfast and parking are vital components while traveling. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have stayed here in the past and the Location is excellent - right on the T-line. Staff is amazing; breakfast very good. Free Parking for 'inner city' Boston. However the property is showing its age. Issues were - toilet ran, light over bed had to be toggled on/off/on/off repeatedly to get it to work, bathtub had rusty soap dish (30% Rust - not just a spot).

Please fix the fixable things and I will be proud once again to recommend this property to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank TravelingLee
Parkersmomcat, Director of Sales at Hotel Boston, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2011

Dear TravelingLee,

Thank you for writing such an honest review of the Best Western Terrace Inn Boston! We are pleased to hear that you enjoy our location, free parking, staff and breakfast. We also appreciate the negative feedback, though we apologize for the inconveniences. As a matter of fact, the hotel has begun remodeling and we are planning to update the guestrooms, lobby and exterior of the hotel. These updates have begun this week and we hope to see you once they are completed! Again, thank you for your important feedback.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

My family and I had been on the Cape for a week and wanted to stay in Boston for a couple of days to explore . I choose bw terrace inn because of the reviews I read, location, and price. It exceeded in all categories! Rooms were a little dated, but clean, staff was friendly, but we didn't see them much. The
T station was about a 5-7 minute
walk and was super accessible for us small town peeps :). Loved the
fRee parking as I found everywhere out east had parking fees. We did the aquarium and museum of science packages. What an awesome deal! No lines to wait in, and let me tell u there was a huge one! We ate one night in the city at Cheers :). But the other we stopped at the Thai place Bamboo on the walk back from the T station. Great food and fast! My only thing I wasn't terribly pleased with the free breakfast eggs were awful but my taste I guess.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank jenoren

Dear jenoren,
Thank you for the kind Trip Advisor review! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our New England Aquarium and Museum of Science packages! Purchasing a package saves time and money when sight seeing in Boston! Also, that you for the feedback about the breakfast eggs - we have actually changed this today and are offering different styles of eggs! We appreciate your input, as the Best Western Terrace Inn strives to ensure positive guest experiences. We hope to see you again!