All reviewskenmore squaregarden roomnorth towercharles riverfenway parkboston universityvictoria roomno elevatorhard boiled eggsbed and breakfasthouse is beautifula small kitchen areaplace to stayhome away from homehot breakfastminute walkrooms are spacious
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We spent two nights at Gryphon House as part of our honeymoon. Overall, we had a great time. The accomodations were amazing. We stayed in the North Tower room, which is really a spacious suite complete with living area, dining area, bedroom and bath. The inn is located within reasonable walking distance (around a half hour) to downtown Boston and the walk is beautiful. Breakfast was not impressive, especially for the price we paid for the room. I'd equate it to a continental breakfast that you might find at a major hotel chain. This aspect of our stay definitely could have been better. The staff was nice and was more than willing to recommend places to eat and provide detailed directions on how to navigate Boston's often confusing streets. Our experience at Gryphon House was enjoyable, though I have to believe there is a better value somewhere in Boston.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZJW
Reviewed October 25, 2006

I stayed at the Gryphon House for one evening last week while in town for a conference. I wish it could have been much longer!

Like the prior review, I stayed in Morningside. The room is incredibly spacious and well appointed. I did not want to leave for the conference! When you are able to pull yourself away from the relaxing room, the location is wonderful and convenient to so many places.

I did not struggle with the noise in Morningside at all like the prior reviewer. Possibly my stay was after? There was an air conditioner set a low humming rate (no cool air) by the bed and nothing from the street was audible. I slept as well as home.

As I write this review, I'm planning another trip to Boston with my fiance' to register for our wedding. I planning on returning to the Gryphon House as my experience was ideal.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank Vermonter611
Reviewed October 17, 2006

Our first impression of Gryphon House was that the outside looked a little tired, but once inside this changed to how lovely the house was. We were greeted by Tara who was so friendly and helpful, not only on our arrival but for the whole of our stay. The room we had chosen was called Morningside, which was large and extremly clean and comfortable with everything you could need for your stay and more. The only downside to the room was it was the most noisiest room we have ever stayed in. Unfortunately it faced the front of the house and two intersections of busy roads. It was nosiy during the day but the nights were unbearable. Saturday night seemed the worst (we stayed three nights) the hotel is very close to the boston university so we also had to put up with the students coming home after a nigt out. Tara was very helpful though and managed to move us for the sunday night, but we had to move back again for our last night (she supplied ear plugs for this night). If noise doesnt bother you then I would recommend Morningside without a doubt. If you could have moved Morningside to the back of the house our stay would have been perfect. If noise does bother you however then ask for a room at the back of the house and you will have an enjoyable stay without doubt.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wendytarplett
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed in the Tuscany room and enjoyed it very much. The room was large with a sitiing area, a small kitchen and table and a large bathroom. We had a welcome room air conditioner. The free parking was appreciated. Disappointing was the breakfast with cold cereal, fruit and basic pastries served on a sideboard.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BayBridge
Reviewed August 14, 2006

We had 5 glorious days at Gryphon House at the end of July when Boston was very hot and humid. Uncharacteristically for us, we made our way there from the airport by the 'T". Forget car hire if you are just staying in Boston, the 'T' really is the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to get around Boston and Gryphon House is just a couple of minutes from the stop at Kenmore. The accommodation is first class - the suites are all individual, stylish and large with excellent facilities and thankfully the whole house was air conditioned which was essential at this time. Our hosts were absolutely charming, nothing was too much trouble and they were lots of fun to talk to. Take up their offer of free tickets to the museums - the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum was our favourite and take time to eat in the restaurant there - it is good! Local restaurants to eat at round Kenmore were good also and would suit all pockets. Petit Robert was our favourite - put it in London and it wouldn't be affordable! If you just want to eat in, bring something back from the huge food hall at the Prudential Building but watch the portions - they are huge. Make sure you go up to the Observation deck at the Prudential Building and don't just browse the shops on the ground floor. Choose a clear day and leave yourself plenty of time as it is informative as well as outstanding views of the city. We managed to take in a lunchtime concert at the Prudential Building too - buy and take your lunch out to eat on the lawns, a real treat and what talent there is about and all free! Newbury Street is great for boutiques, restaurants and people watching and all of this is in walking distance of Gryphon House - we only took the 'T' when we wanted to get right into the centre quickly. Walk the Freedom Trail (get a guided tour - they are well worth it) and for a bit of innocent fun, the Duck Tour. We did not do the Italian district or Quincy Market justice or the Aquarium or other museums or take in a Red Sox game - we are leaving those for our next visit.

Stayed: July 2006