“Gryphon and Red Sox Go Together Nicely” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gryphon House

Gryphon House
Ranked #4 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
SWHbr, Maine
“Gryphon and Red Sox Go Together Nicely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Lots of reasons to like it. Has a lot of character, rooms are all very different and very nice. Funky nice. So, so breakfast choices. Great coffee. Easy walking distance to T, Fenway Park, nice restaurants. Suprisingly quiet area considering where it is physically. Some room have views of the Charles River. Fun and helpful staff, lot's of movies, books etc if you just want to hole up. This was our 3rd time there with our friends and we look forward to the same Red Sox/Gryphon House adventure in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mainemini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

Beautifully decorated, spacious rooms, fantastic location, unpretentious ... we stay here each time we come to Boston over many years and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Claremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We selected the Gryphon House as a central location when we came to Boston for our daughter's graduation. Our oldest daughter joined us from her home in Texas. We were centrally located, within walking distance of our other daughter's apartment on Boylston and close to down town Boston, the T and Fenway Park. We walked every where. The accommodations were exquisite, reminiscent of a bygone era. The historical nature of the hotel ware carefully cared for, the breakfast varied and complete, parking available in the back. We could walk every where and run along the Charles. The room was as quiet as any in an urban area- high ceilings made it airy and comfortable. Will go again when I need to accommodate more than myself in my trips to Boston. High fives to the Gryphon!

• Stayed May 2010
Tallahassee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

My sister and niece and I stayed in the Room "Sanctuary" for 2 nights. It was really a small effieciency , so nicely decorated in the theme (old world charm Tuscuny), spotlessly clean and it was clear the owners thought of everything a guest could need. The innkeepers were so helpful, and we needed alot of help with directions, food reccomendations. ect. The location was perfect, close to the T stop ,about 1 block and safe neighborhood to walk. The continental breakfast was good, lots of sweets! Would definately stay there again if we go back to Boston

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tallygirlTallahassee
Melrose, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I spent the first 10 minutes of our visit with our jaws dropped. This place is gorgeous (yet welcoming)! We could not get over how big our room (Riverview) was. It has a sitting area by a huge bay window which gave us a great view of the Charles River. It was great to wake up and look out at the beautiful, frozen views while feeling so warm and cozy inside with the working fireplace keeping us toasty. Gryphon House even offers in-room massage - I definitely recommend this! The staff were very friendly and helpful. Casey was sweet and showed us around the room, and in the morning Tara was funny and delightful - offering me one of her own diet cokes when she found out that I am not a coffee or tea drinker :-) Oh yeah - this place is SPOTLESS! I feel like we hit the jackpot by finding this place, and hope to return on our future urban vacations!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
queens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

Over the New Year holiday, I had the pleasure of staying at this location. I'd stayed there the year prior and was impressed enough to come back. The Gryphon House is in a great location, only a 2 min walk from the train station and 15 min. from Downtown. What l like about the distance is that it's close enough to all the great action of downtown Boston but you don't have to bring it home.
The staff at the inn is so warm and helpful. Teresa welcomed me, and escorted me to the super clean Riverview room even though I arrived later than I intended. After a brief tutorial on how to operate the fireplace and individual room temp. controls, I was all set to jump onto the ample amounts of comforters placed onto queen size bed w/ big, sturdy wooden frame.
The bathroom was also great, with a shower separated from a big bathtub. What I liked about the shower was that it was a lot of water pressure and felt really good. More impressive than the bathroom was the great view of the Charles River. You're literally 50ft. from it and its amazing from the window. I spent at least 15min just looking at it when I first got there. Upon opening the door to leave my room, I found that Theresa had left one more big blanket for me "just in case".
What I like most about the Gryphon House is the little things like extra blankets being given without being asked or the complimentary DVD library from which you can borrow. You can really see all the TLC that went into the inn overall. Its not at all like a big, impersonal hotel. Parking is a bit cumbersome though, because it's in the back of the inn with other parked cars. It can be a little bit tight but it's nothing compared to what's going on inside. Overall, I had such a great time there and I can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Queens, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2010

I have stayed here two years in a row (2 nights each time), and had a great experience.

The inn is extremely clean. A variety of complimentary services are provided, including laundry, breakfast, computer use, wireless internet, as well as borrowing books and dvds. Additional services are provided for a charge, such as an in-room massage.

The inn offers a variety of different themed suites, each with individual (and very detailed) decor. Clearly, a lot of attention and creativity was invested in designing the suites. Also, each room offers a fireplace, as well as great views of the Charles River or the Boston streetscape.

The innkeepers were extremely friendly, and willing to help make the experience the best it could be.

In terms of location - the inn is located about 2-3 minutes (walking) from the subway, and about 5-7 minutes (driving) from Downtown Boston. The surrounding area is very scenic!

Parking is available on the premises(for an additional charge). The only drawback is that the walls are somewhat thin, in case you are concerned with being too noisy, or being disturbed by other guests' noisiness.

Considering the price, cleanliness, services offered, and location, I would strongly recommend the Gryphon House.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple