“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #5 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband & I stayed one night @ Gryphon House, but I wish we could have stayed longer! The staff was vey friendly & helpful. We stayed in the garden room, which was as beautiful as the rest of the house. The location is perfect to park your car & walk. We walked to Fenway & to some fun eating & drinking establishments.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
We're so glad you enjoyed your experience with us! Thank you for your business, and for taking the time to give us a great review! We appreciate it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Wow! We stayed in the Sanctuary suite in the basement, it was very comfortable and clean. Great beds, lovely bathroom and a fully functioning kitchen with wood burner (though it was very hot during our stay so we didn't use it). The decor is eclectic throughout, homely and decorated to a high standard - in a suitable period for the age of the building - tasteful! Teresa couldn't have been more accomodating as were all the ladies on duty during our stay. Breakfast was a feast of fresh breads, cereals of all types, fresh fruit salad, eggs, croissants, bagels and english muffins, pastries, coffee and more tea than China! Even after breakfast was over there was always fresh fruit, biscotti and a drawer full of various teas available. The surrounding area was ideal for Boston itself, easy ride on the subway and just a five minute walk to the Fenway Ball Park. During our stay there was a game on every evening and although well supported it never felt overwhelming as the crowds entered the vacinity just a friendly buzz of activity. Plenty of places to eat locally, Bertucci and Uno in particular. Would definitely recommend Gryphon House to anyone wishing to visit Boston and experience it in an authentic New England guest house, a very friendly welcome from everyone, somewhat different to the usual cold reception of NYC where we had visited prior to Boston. I sincerely hope to visit again.

Room Tip: We were three travelling so Sanctuary was the only choice available having three beds. It was in the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bev2richie
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
You guys! Thanks! It was totally our pleasure to have you here--you were delightful guests!
It was so much fun to share our house and our city with you. Thank you very much!
NY
Reviewed July 19, 2013

As of now Gryphon House is rated #5. Although there are 46 Boston B&Bs on TA, it is hard to believe that there is a better place to stay. Our room was spotless and well-appointed. The bed was comfortable and did not leave my back aching the next day. Although the room (Aerie) faces the street, I had to press my ear to the window to hear any street noise (okay, I didn't really press my ear to the window, but you get the idea). I looked forward to breakfast every morning--quite a variety. Wonderful staff. My very picky friend recommended Gryphon House to me. If they can please him, they can please anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Wow! Thanks! Do I need to mention that this is currently my favorite review? :)
We really, really, really appreciate your kind response! Thank you very much!
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2013

If you don't wish to stay in a typical hotel, this is a great option. We had a terrific stay here and it is near Fenway, and some great restaurants too such as Eastern Standard. It is an easy walk away from Boston University and Kenmore Metro Stop, it is also very convenient.

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to be terrific but we opted for the basement or lower level and felt it offered n...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LisaFromCleveland
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for giving us a nice review! We hope you'll return again soon!
Berkeley, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My daughter and I had a wonderful week at Gryphon House in Boston. the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. There were couches, tables, , arm chairs, good lighting, good AC. the beds were comfortable. The bathrooms were spacious and very clean. The daily breakfast was quite good-hard boiled eggs, toast, pastry, pumpkin bread or similar, cold cereal, coffee/tea/oj. There was fresh fruit available daily as well as a copy of the Boston Globe to read in the downstairs parlor. The personnel were extremely kind and capable. Location is right next to BU campus, 1 block from Kenmore station on the "T" Green line, few blocks from Fenway park, and good restaurants 1 -2 blocks away. Gryphon house enhanced our stay in Boston.

Room Tip: No elevator so book something on floor 2 if you can't climb stairs. they have 8 rooms all well a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Janice M
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you, Janice! You guys were wonderful guests and it was a pleasure to have you with us!
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have never done B&B in the US (but many times in Europe and Canada) and it was a good decision! The house is beautiful, the breakfast is varied and very filling (so don't worry about the "continental aspect"- no French" bread and jam only" here!) We were on the top floor which is one floor too many when climbing up after breakfast but makes you feel like you worked some of it off.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
So glad the climb was worth it! :). Thanks for the breakfast endorsement, too!
Everyone here enjoyed having you with us--please come back again!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 7, 2013

So glad I chose the Gryphon House for my recent stay in Boston! The entire experience, from the moment I arrived until my departure, was just a delight. I arrived early but didn't have to wait long for my room to be ready. I stayed in the Garden Room, which is on the lowest level but still has plenty of natural light coming in the windows. The bed was comfy, the air conditioning worked and there was free wi-fi. The bathroom was very large and clean. Breakfast spread had plenty of options - cold cereal, instant oatmeal, yogurt, breads for toasting, peanut butter, cheese, pastries, juice and coffee. The staff were friendly and available to answer questions (but didn't hover over guests as I've heard can sometimes happen at B&Bs). Got some great advice from Sara on how to get where I wanted to go. The nearest T station is just a short walk down the street (a couple of blocks, maybe, and not huge blocks either). Plenty of restaurants in the area. There's a 7-Eleven close by should you need a few items from the convenience store. I felt very safe in this neighborhood, even walking back after dark. Thanks to everyone at Gryphon House for making my stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: If peace and quiet is a priority, you can't go wrong with the Garden Room. Hardly any street noi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SW54
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We appreciate your enthusiasm and we can't wait for you to stay with us again, too!