“Lovely, well - located B&B in Boston”
Review of Gryphon House

and 1 more site!
Gryphon House
Ranked #5 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend in Boston visiting our daughter, who lives three blocks away from Gryphon House. We had been looking for a comfortable, reasonably priced place to stay nearby and have certainly found it in Gryphon House. The house has been beautifully restored, with period details intact in some of the rooms, and our room - the Riverview Suite - on the third floor, was large and luxurious, with a lovely view over the Charles River. Breakfast was perfect with homemade granola that my husband loved, and my favorite cereal available. Many comfortable touches - umbrellas, DVDs for your room, bowls of fruit in the entry, fireplace in the room. We've already made reservations for a return visit.

Room Tip: Just remember that there is no elevator so if you're on the third or fourth floor for your room...
1  Thank Amgsac
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thanks! We look forward to your return! The granola awaits! :)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

An elegant retreat that was perfectly located for my trip to Boston. From the time I made my reservation (when the staff member was kind, welcoming, and informative) to when I departed, I felt well-cared for in this beautiful B&B. Like other reviewers, I appreciated the amount of privacy the staff afforded; they inquired as to how I was and to any needs I might have whenever I returned, but there was no intrusive chit-chat--which I appreciated greatly. The breakfast buffet had many cold options (including a fine assortment of pastry, hard boiled eggs, cheeses, fruit, and quite delicious granola). I did not miss the presence of a hot breakfast. Tea, fruit, and biscotti were always available (and I took advantage several time). My room was gorgeous--beautiful Art Deco design. Cozy fireplace, comfortable furnishings, very nice bathroom and kitchen area.
Yes, it is in the city (so I very occasionally heard a passing truck), but that is to be expected. And it was well-located for all the places I wanted to go (and to which I mostly walked or took public transportation, though cabs were very accessible). All in all, I would return here any time I was in Boston.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JLH8691

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay. As others have noted, some people expect more of a traditional type B&B, where the owners live on site and you see them every time you come and go. We try to strike a balance between being available for our guests whenever needed, and offering as much privacy as possible, to allow more of an experience of having your own place in the city. We're happy that suited you and we hope to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We have stayed at Gryphon House a number of times and as always our stay for this years Red Sox opening day was a great experience............Love this place.
Comfy beds, great relaxing rooms and relaxing breakfast. We always want to stay for longer.
Very friendly staff and very clean and wonderfully decorated rooms with all you can ask for in extras.........tea whenever you feel like it, seating in room if eat in is what you like also lots of excellent choices for restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Four floors no elevator so pick the downstairs rooms if that is a problem........they are all wonder...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much! We really appreciate return guests taking the time to post a favorable response! Your good opinion means the world to us!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very relaxing environment with a very gracious hostess. For a quick visit to Boston it was a great choice. Very close to Kenmore Square so you could walk and enjoy an evening out without having to drive. It was also nice to have parking that didn't break the bank!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you so much--we really appreciate your comments, and we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is meant to be an enthusiastic review, though it might not sound exactly like one. You know, when you travel a lot, you get used to places that are, well, nice and even fancy, but you never quite relax in them. This wasn't like that, and I noticed it the first day when I was waiting in the lobby area (originally the living room of a brownstone, I think) for my handler to pick me up -- it was like I was at someone's home, hanging out and reading the morning newspaper. This may be TMI, but I never had the reaction I often get, even in nice hotels, that I don't want to touch the surfaces. It was a very comfortable and relaxed space to spend time in; I'd go back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AmumKabir
Teresa781, Owner at Gryphon House, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments! Comfortable and relaxed are exactly the qualities we like to inspire in our guests, and I'm very glad to hear that you weren't afraid to touch our surfaces! :)
Please do come back anytime!

Reviewed March 25, 2013

This B&B is very nicely renovated; it feels like a very nicely appointed apartment away from home. There was a fireplace in my room, several comfortable places to sit, and all sorts of amenities. Some reviewers have noted that it isn't like a "traditional" B&B with an owner who gets to know you, etc. Well, to my mind this is a bonus. I prefer to have my privacy when traveling, and to be able to get out the door in the morning to see the sights without having to chat with people :-) Also, though, I did get great service: breakfast delivered to the room one day, for instance. So this was perfect for me. The breakfast in the morning was very good, as long as you don't expect a hot cooked breakfast; it was continental and had lots of delicious fruit, cheeses, juices, and hard boiled eggs, all eaten in a nicely appointed room with a fireplace and the daily paper. Overall, this was a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by street noise, rooms that overlook Bay State road are not good for you. Also...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Quentin1977
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Gryphon House is lovely in terms of decor, rooms and convenience to the T. All is very nicely appointed and decorated in period furnishings. However, we were disappointed in the service as it seems to be lacking some of the amenities and touches that we usually find in BandB's. The staff while nice are clearly employees and are rotated from day to day so the warmth that comes from having an inn keeper is missing. Breakfast has many offerings in terms of cheeses, pastries, breads, fruit; however, there is no hot breakfast served which is often found at BandB's. We did meet the owner who was very pleasant and graciously replaced the air mattress which was not working very well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family