“Good Business Hotel, Wouldn't Recommend for Tourists”

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #39 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Good Business Hotel, Wouldn't Recommend for Tourists”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed at this hotel several times for business. Front desk staff is very welcoming and provided maps of the area along with a quick check in. Rooms are nice with a modern vibe - lots of plugs coupled with a good sized desk allows me to get work done. Walls are a bit thin especially if you have an adjoining room. I could hear the conversations of the occupant next to me and I'm sure he could hear mine. Bathroom also makes a weird echo noise because of the floor to ceiling tile and shower door. Otherwise, all the quality and amenities you would expect from a Marriott brand hotel.

Was a little bit difficult to get a cab outside but I was looking for one during rush hour and that's often a challenge anywhere in the seaport at that time of day. Hotel is very close to lots of great restaurants and two stops on the T's Silver Line. Wouldn't recommend this hotel for tourists as you're not very close to many of the Boston sights. But business travelers, convention center attendees can't go wrong with this location. Rooms here seem to fill up quickly, so if you're up in the air about plans book a room anyway. You can always cancel the reservation.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise, ask for a room that doesn't adjoin.
3 Thank EBHtravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Korean first
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference in Boston.
The hotel is located in a very nice area close to the water, nice restaurants, the airport, subway line and the conference center.
The hotel personnel at the reception is very attentive and efficient.
But the cleaning personnel requires management attention for a hotel of this category.
The day before my departure I asked for a late checkout until 1PM since I intend to finish the conference at 12PM the next day, go back to my room, take a shower and change my clothes before heading to the airport.
Considering that I was going to checkout that day I left the "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag on my room door since no cleaning service would be required before my departure that day.
For my surprise, when I got back to my room around 12:15PM the cleaning personnel had already entered into my room and removed but not replaced all the towels as well as soap and shampoo, in spite of the "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag, so I could not take my shower as planned.
During checkout I reported that to the front desk and they apologized and offered to credit points to my account to compensate for this mishap, which was a nice gesture.
Nevertheless, the cleaning personnel has to be better trained for understanding that a "DO-NOT-DISTURB" tag means that they should not enter the room. Period!

Room Tip: Ask for the ones facing the water
1 Thank Bob_Creek
Kelly S, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront. We sincerely appreciate the positive remarks about the staff at the reception desk.

We take these comments very seriously and regret the housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that I have shared your experience with the housekeeping team and we have taken action to ensure this problem does not happen again.

Thank you again for staying with us! We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
Virginia
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel is in a newly developed waterfront area. Recommend to have a higher floor room. The hotel is relatively new with good size room. The CL has reasonable supplies of food and drinks, compare to other comparable hotels in the US. There're a number of restaurants within walking distance. Will stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with better view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This has been my second time staying at this hotel in Boston. I love the Seaport area and this place is in the heart of it all! I love going next door to the LTK and eating and drinking for a value. This hotel also has a great bar, the only downside is that they close around 12:30 PM :(

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank uniquemo
Strongsville
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The building itself and the lobby looked great. Our room also was very nice and spacious and we were fortunate enough to have a waterfront view.

The staff member, Mario, in the lobby was friendly and helped us pick out a location to grab a quick lunch which was delicious. We also wanted to thank the staff member who hailed us a cab and opened the door for us which was very nice.

I would recommend this hotel not only for those in business but also for those travelling for leisure, pending what you would like to do.

The only cons I could think of are that it was pretty steep for wi-fi in the hotel ($12.95/day). We would have liked to utilize the wi-fi for our laptop to plan out the day a bit more and find some locations to eat.

I also think that if you are travelling and want to tour the city that this would not be the ideal location. It was nice to overlook the water and there are things to do around the hotel including a concert venue, fish restaurant and a couple bars, but you will need a cab to get to a lot of what happens downtown and if you are travelling to Fenway Park.

Even with these minor cons I thought this was a very nice hotel and would recommend it.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting a waterfront view if possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 17, 2014

In Boston for a wedding in the harbor, the Renaissance Boston Waterfront proved an excellent, well-paced position for our weekend. The happy couple were wise to have block-reserved a group of rooms, as virtually everyone attending was coming from out of town, including our little group. The room rates are high, but the block-reserving did save us some $$$. Look for deals on Travelocity and such - they're there for the finding, and can get your rates down to something more platable than the $350 rack rates for double double rooms.

The hotel itself was impeccably spotless, and provided a welcome oasis of cool calm for what was to be a very busy weekend wedding schedule. The front desk service was perfect, and our concierge was everything a concierge should be - prompt, efficient, friendly and customer-predictive. We got in just a bit early, and the desk was kind enough to move us to another room, as our designated room was not yet prepared, giving us the same spectacular view of the harbor, including the very paddle-wheeler we'd be embarking on later that day for the nuptials.

The room was clean and well-presented, but certainly not opulent - and that was fine for us, as we were looking for comfort and convenience, and got them both at the Renaissance. Paint, paper, decorations and the hallways were clean, fresh, and clear of any clutter, clamor, or the detritus of guests past. Service was quick when we needed it - and that was only for additional towels and a roll-away. Ask for a room on the north side of the hotel for the best bay views.

About the only sore point - and this stands for anything in Boston, really - is the cost of parking. At the Renaissance, that cost is $46 per day, valet-only, but it does get you in/out privileges for your entire stay. In other place in 'Merica, that can get you the overnight accommodations, a pool, a hot tub, and a breakfast alone at a decent Hampton. But, this is Boston, it's on the harbor, so just save up your pennies and prepare to just pay them out.

Overall, we give this one a resounding thumbs-up - and when we return to Boston, could be you'll find us back here.

Room Tip: The best harbor views are from the north side of the hotel - so ask for a room on that side if that...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is a standard business hotel that you could put anywhere and be pretty happy. Then you'll forget about where you stayed because these hotels are all the same (Marriott, Hilton, Renaissance etc)

Beds are very comfy and the hotel gets the key things right (LOTS of plugs, iron, space to do work). And, the hotel is clean and elevators fast.

The breakfast menu at the adjoining restaurant really could use an update- after 2 days I wanted to eat somewhere else.

1 Thank BeeNBoo